Rush Survivor Finished: Red Barchetta wins!

satisfied with results?

• yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • no

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
Protecting my favourites, but looks like it will be too late for the Anarchist.

The maximum of songs which can be eliminated this round is 1, right (we need to keep 10, joining the other 10 in the semi finals)?

Then it's bye bye The Trees. Damn what a strong track, but I prefer Red Sector and Anarchist which are ridiculously enough in the danger zone already.
  1. 2112
  2. The Trees
  3. Tom Saywer
  4. Red Barchetta
  5. YYZ
  6. The Camera Eye
  7. Distant Early Warning
Having zero Clockwork Angelsmaterial in the top 20 would be an offense to the album.

Also I find it quite unbelievable that I'm the only one voting for Red Barchetta in this stage. You're not going to tell me that this is your favourite song from Moving Pictures? Limelight's solo alone blows it out of the sky.
Besides, hardly anything else in this survivor can stand in the shadow of Limelight's chorus.

I'll tell you that Limelight is one of the greatest songs ever recorded.
Then I'll tell you the same about Red Barchetta. :D

Red Barchetta is my favorite Moving Pictures song. :p Limelight is second place, though. Then The Camera Eye. Then Tom Sawyer.

Edit: Whoa. Foro is the one voting against Red Barchetta? Surely you jest! It's got a quality you always talk about: it has many different sections.

It indeed has (haven't counted them though) but that's not a quality that prevails in all situations.
In this situation we're having some other songs in the competition, each with their own qualities.

What I especially like about Barchetta are the accents in the rhythms and the atmosphere. Still, Tom Sawyer and Red Barchetta are for me two of the least three favourites of the album (the other is Witch Hunt). Maybe because these particular songs are (or at least feel) relatively seen more monotone and less dramatic, who knows. I can't explain well why I find them less, but I can try to mention the strong sides of the other songs.

Strong melodies are always important to me, and Limelight has such a beautiful melodic chorus. A superb moody chord scheme, guided by Peart's beautiful ride cymbal work. Lee does one of the best vocal melodies the band has ever written. And the solo? That build-up is just superb. And the sound Lifeson creates! The way it ends and how the "chorus"-guitar and the vocals come back with Peart playing it double time was a very good idea. In this last chorus some of the accents are hitting with the snare drum, giving it an extra punch. Living in the limelight, the universal dream...

An already eliminated song is Vital Signs, another favourite of the album (either my no. 1, either no. 2). That song is full of awesome melodies and rhythmic greatness. Wonderful interaction between all three. Very strong lyrics as well. Shamelessly underrated on this forum.

The Camera Eye I find very adventurous with lots of space for the music. Many cool instrumental parts contributing to the suspense.

YYZ is instrumental but not per se worse because of that reason. Love that slower part. The Analog Kid's chorus reminds me of it. Love that heavy "slow" synth countering against those other faster instruments.

Also I find it quite unbelievable that I'm the only one voting for Red Barchetta in this stage. You're not going to tell me that this is your favourite song from Moving Pictures?
It sure is. I love it, everything about it is great.

I need to say some goodbyes.

Until very recently, Rush always got skewered by the music press for being too cold and precise.
Yeah, they could play, but their music was self-indulgent, emotionless wankery.
Losing It shows you how far up their asses the critic's heads were.
Can't imagine a more heartbreaking song.

In earlier thread, Foro said something about how it would be sad if nothing from Clockwork Angel made the finals.
He's right. What an album. Take Clockwork Angels, the song — majestic, smart, surprising.
The prog is back, and brilliantly so. But not for a second does it sound like a repeat of Farewell to Kings.
To be clear, I voted against both these songs because it was their time. But they are both brilliant.
These guys are just so fucking good.

I'd also be disappointed to not see a song from Angels in the top 20, top ten for that matter, but Anarchist doesn't make the cut for me.

The elimination of The Trees is the biggest blasphemy so far to me. I may even dramatically leave the survivor game because of it. :p

But seriously, this song should be top ten, it's got the feeling of a 10+ minute epic but in the context of a 4 minute song. It rocks and has really good lyrics, and that soft part in the middle is very beautiful. No way that this is the weakest song on the list.

I'm a little surprised about the Trees too.
The mid-part is pretty amazing.
Again, Rush has at least 20 top 10 songs.

It was just a matter of protection. I would not have voted for The Trees in this round if you guys would have been more gentle to some other songs.

The mid part in this song has about the best dynamic groove they ever did. Mosh describes the soft part but it really gets going when Peart and Lee kick in. Very stimulating rhythm with an exciting Lifeson solo, especially its entrance.

Eliminated:
The Trees - 4 votes

The semifinals have begun!

Working Man
Bangkok
Natural Science
Force Ten
Test For Echo
Vapor Trail
Anarchist

The Trees. :( There goes another top 10 song.

Force Ten
Test For Echo
The Anarchist

I need to relisten to those songs, though.

Back