Rush Survivor Finished: Red Barchetta wins!

satisfied with results?

• yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • no

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
I just realized Xanadu's not on the list. It'll be joining us later, right?
Also, is this both books of Cygnus?
1: Yes
2: No

There is a set of songs that will be joining once there are only 10 songs left in this list.

Voting against a lot of songs, the vast majority of them very good ones.
But it is time to get tough.
Agreed, I have the most trouble ranking the older proggy songs against later stuff. I like both periods for different reasons.

1. 2112
  2. The Spirit Of Radio
  3. Distant Early Warning
  4. Between the Wheels
  5. The Pass
  6. Bravado
  7. Between Sun and Moon
  8. Ghost Rider
  9. Far Cry
  10. Armor and Sword

A vote for Distant Early Warning.
I'm like Mosh, in that I have trouble ranking the 70s prog songs against the later stuff.
But Distant Early Warning is a candidate for my favourite Rush song.

*raises hand* I don't like it that much compared to many other eighties Rush. Not a big fan of the taaaam-taam-tam keyboard accents. It does not only lack guitar, it also lacks in catchiness, strong melodies and awesome instrumental moments. Not a great chorus. My 2 cents of course.

I don't agree with a word. ;-)
The song is warning about how things are all on the verge of falling apart.
Musically the band does a fantastic job of evoking that, moving between a feeling of unease and a sense of panic.
The Taaaam-Tam-Taaam part is the siren, the flashing red light, where the band gets in your face a shouts "wake up!"
I think the guitar makes a huge comeback here after being ignored on Signals. Alex alternates jarring chords with up-and-down runs during the verses that say 'things are moving here and something is not quite right.' And the bit he repeats on the chorus has a great hook. The vocal melody is not the song's strongest part, but it is plenty good. The chorus grabs me and the musical catchiness is excellent. I find the instrumental break outstanding.
And the composition is near perfection with the way it builds and shifts and knows when to hit the gas pedal.
It's just a swirling river that ebbs and flows and drags me in to frenzy of air band playing.
As the sound of the last chord falls away I inevitably find I have to take a deep breath - a moment to gather myself again because the song consistently takes me away.
It has everything Rush does well. And if I were to do a list of my top songs ever, by any band, it would be on it.
Just my two cents,
(Well, more like two hundred cents, I guess).

NOOOOO Armor & Sword. :mad:

Though DEW isn't my favorite Rush song (that belongs to Xanadu), it's certainly near the top, and mckindog's nailed why.

I think these warning signs are over the top. They overdid it. It's gets repetitive as well. Dunno mckindog and others, everyone his own interpretation but I think this song doesn't flow that well. Compared to the dynamics of Red Sector A and The Enemy Within this song is about the most static Rush has ever done.

I also don't find the song that Rushy. Any eighties pop band could have made it, apart from the lyrics.

Apart from the couplets (which are good!) I feel the mood does not reflect the content. Lee sings "And I worry about you" like he says "and I won the lottery". The happy and commercial sounding keyboard melody (yippee!) underneath doesn't please my ears either.

The instrumental part is about the blendest of the whole album. Pretty much the same (chords) as the rest of the song and no exciting guitar work as all. The song goes on and on, without building a momentum or containing anything suspenseful. In short: it lacks variation.

Hmm, definitely has never struck me as happy, but, like you say, to each his own.

Well yes, and it's good that we disagree or else these games were as simple as the song we're talking about.
:ahhh: *runs in opposite direction of Vancouver Island* :D

edit:
To be honest, besides being the least important, the happy sounding argument isn't the most valid one either, since the couplets in The Fear Within sound happy as well. But hell that one rocks rocks ! Great grooving bassline with a supercatchy Lifeson dominating the whole song (although not in the chorus and he has no solo).

The Enemy Within is a fantastic song, one of six on the album.
It's not its fault there are at least three that are better.

And I'm still waiting for you to apologize for the any '80s pop band comment.
As any Rush fan knows, Platinum Blonde had to ask Alex for help recording their stuff because they couldn't do it on their own. :p

I want to say more but I've got to leave for a concert in 5 minutes, but this can't wait:
I also don't find the song that Rushy. Any eighties pop band could have made it, apart from the lyrics.
I highly disagree. At least look at the chord voicings and the rhythms, not the average 80's pop song

There were more bands around doing chord voicings (e.g. The Police, I admit, this is not "any pop band" but they weren't alone either). In Distant Early Warning, the rhythms (and techniques) are seriously simple in comparison with other songs from that period. Again that wouldn't be that bad if only the song itself would have more variation in its build-up. That's my major complaint. Constantly the same chords, making it more monotone than most other songs left in this survivor. That last minute is really: :yawn:

Of course Distant Early Warning is a classic track, but Red Sector A and Afterimage are great tracks.

But hey, since I am the only one in this small company of players criticizing the song, I guess there's a chance it will end up higher than in previous survivors.

Well I love The Police, and I think they are one of the more unique bands from the 80's. Their music was more diverse, and they could write catchy pop songs while each instrument was still doing something interesting. Rush and Distant Early Warning is the same way. When I was only familiar with Signals from this period, which I didn't know so well anyway, DEW was a song that showed me that even with all the synths and short songs, Rush still had prog elements. Though I can see your point with your complaint about the buildup.

I'm with you on the Afterimage love, it's a shame that it got eliminated so early, I still wouldn't be voting for it. I've grown a bit tired of Red Sector A, probably from hearing it so much, although I don't recall it ever being a favorite of mine.

Grace Under Pressure really is one of my favourite albums.
I've pulled a draft Rush ranking together and three tracks (DEW, RSA and Between the Wheels) are sitting in my top 20.
Kid Gloves, Enemy Within and Afterimage are all in my top 40.

P/G is in my top 5, maybe 3. It's insanely difficult for me to rank Rush albums and songs, I can't even pick a favorite album.

Back