Run to the Hills

How good is Run to the Hills on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A classic anthem with another memorable drum intro by Clive and a chorus sung only by the best. 9/10

10/10

One of the very best gallops, it really sounds like what it describes. Amazing vocals, outrageous guitar and bass playing, perfect lyrics. The fact that we've all heard it a million times doesn't detract from the quality of this tune.

Overplayed, but still a superb song, especially live. The drum intro followed by the guitars is especially note-worthy. 8/10.

If I had to say what is the "worst" part of this album, it would be the next three songs. I say that lightly though, as there is really nothing wrong with this album.

This song is catchy, it is overplayed, and this is another highly known song. It's overplayed nature probably detracts a point for me unfortunately. It's a classic though. 9/10.

Well, it's hard to judge this song because it's so overplayed.
The chourus is an anthem everyone can sing along to and it has a lot of energy. The solo and the build up to the last chorus is the best part of the song.
But Run To The Hills is surely overrated.

7/10

This was the first song I ever heard by Iron Maiden. The drum intro is immediately memorable and the music pairs very well with the imagery of the lyrics.
It gets some unfair flack due to being Maiden's most well known song. The chorus is incredible, easily one of Bruce's best performances, if not best overall.
Dave's solo fits the song perfectly, with his great use of the tremelo bar. As far as the singles go, I prefer NOTB, but this one is still quite solid.

9/10

A really great song. One of the best Maiden choruses, some great soloing, and a brilliant buildup to the last chorus. For me, though, it's suffered from overplay, and I'm also not sure it has enough substance to warrant more than a respectable...

8/10

The song is overplayed for a reason. Incredibly catchy the whole way through, cleverly written and in my opinion the best short song Maiden have ever done. Instantly recognisable to even the most casual metal fan.

Wherein we realize that well-known doesn't equal great.

This song is, to the average non-Maiden fan, the most accessible and well-recognized song, and that's great. It's simple and strong and driving, and pretty good for what it is, a single. But that being said, there are some incredible flaws in it, including some stereotypically bad Steve Harris lyrics and a lack of enough verses to make the song a bit more in-depth. I waver between a 7 and an 8, but I'll go with the 8/10.

Looking past the overplayed arguments, it's a frantic song with an interesting message behind it, along with a extremely memorable chorus.. I definitely think this song would be more revered by others if it didn't happen to be the gateway song for most Maiden fans.

7/10.

RTC's Maiden Ranking:

1: Phantom Of The Opera: 9/10
2: Killers: 9/10
3: Children Of The Damned: 8/10
4: Remember Tomorrow: 8/10
5: The Number Of The Beast: 8/10
6: Murders In The Rue Morgue: 8/10
7: Run To The Hills: 7/10
8: Purgatory: 7/10
9: 22 Acacia Avenue: 7/10
10: Wrathchild: 7/10
11: Transylvania: 7/10
12: Prodigal Son: 6/10
13: Strange World: 6/10
14: Sanctuary: 6/10
15: Another Life: 6/10
16: The Prisoner: 6/10
17: Prowler: 6/10
18: Genghis Khan: 5/10
19: Iron Maiden: 5/10
20: Charlotte The Harlot: 5/10
21: Twilight Zone: 5/10
22: Drifter: 4/10
23: Running Free: 4/10
24: Innocent Exile: 4/10
25: Invaders: 3/10
26: The Ides Of March: 2/10

When I hear this song, I don't really get that excited. The first couple of verses are a little bit annoying.
There are some good parts, though. I like Clive's drumming in the introduction and the galloping rhythm of the song ( I find it really appropriate for the song's topic).

Due to its status and good parts, I can certainly give it 7/10. However, I definitely can't go over 7/10.

The highlight: Bruce's scream in the end.

7/10

8/10. This is one that I'm just tired of. It used to be a favorite for a long time, but I don't care to hear it live or anything. However I really like the atmosphere of the song and the galloping rhythm is awesome and Bruce was phenomenal on it! A great rocker.

Their most well known song. I know people who aren't even into metal that likes this one. It's simple, accessible, catchy but far from being their best. My fav part is the buildup to the last chorus, it's great, especially live.

7/10

Back