Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) - The Official Topic

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Moderator note: This thread is a conglomorate of the many Dio-related threads that have sprung up on Maidenfans since the far too early death of Ronnie James Dio, including the one first started when his cancer was announced. I amalgamated them due to a request.

-LC

Bad news, but the man is still positive about it. Wendy Dio, his wife and manager has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"Ronnie has been diagnosed with the early stages of stomach cancer. We are starting treatment immediately at the Mayo Clinic. After he kills this dragon, Ronnie will be back on stage, where he belongs, doing what he loves best, performing for his fans.

"Long live rock and roll, long live Ronnie James Dio.

"Thanks to all the friends and fans from all over the world that have sent well wishes. This has really helped to keep his spirit up."

source

I'm happy to notice the "early stage" part in an otherwise disturbing sentence. That probably means his prognosis for recovery is good.

No.  Stomach cancer is one of the most virulent types of cancer.  Dio will probably have to have a bunch, or even all, of his stomach removed.

:blink:

I already had a ticket for his gig in Stuttgart. I was a bit annoyed that it was cancelled, but... my grandmother died of stomach cancer. This is devastating.

He'll pull through, I pray. He HAS to. He's one of the godfathers of metal and, I would venture to say, music in general.

Mrs. Dio is right, LONG LIVE DIO!

LooseCannon said:
No.  Stomach cancer is one of the most virulent types of cancer.  Dio will probably have to have a bunch, or even all, of his stomach removed.

That sucks ... but I guess one can live a quite normal life despite removing parts of the stomach? However, I was thinking more about the prognosis for getting rid of the cancer itself.

:( Oh dear. I hope he pulls through, no matter whether he can perform afterwards or not. Long live Dio!

I heard that R.J. Dio was in the hospital... didn't know the reason until now.
Cancer is a huge deal, needless to say. If he beats the disease, he will still have to be checked regularly for any sign of resurgence.

This early detection will certainly be a key factor in saving his life.

Now that's a thousand_suns post.

Aeolis, are you the member formerly known as thousand_suns? You have to answer this question.

News reports tonight are that Ronnie has lost the battle against cancer  :(

That is terrible news - I had the impression that he was improving, but with cancer one is never safe until every single piece of tumor has gone.

A true legend, he will be missed.

Rest in peace.

:eek:

RIP Dio. He was one of greatest rock singers. This is a real loss...  :(

Back