Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg Video

Conor said:
I think that just highlights the bad songwriting style of Mr Harris.

My fault for the spoken narrative, that is indeed first person but the Bruce first person part is in contrast to the rest of the song.  As I say, that is 'Arry's fault :angry:
Well, I don't agree. Writers often switch from third- to first-person narrative, to alternate between a detached view point and a more intimate one, which sometimes provides an insight into the character's consciousness.

Steve is inconsistent.  I think this is a bad thing (only Bruce's part).  Nothing changes in the music to indicate a change in perspective in the song.

It would be different if, like the spoken section, the song changed direction but as it is, the song is poorly written IMO.

That's right. Steve Harris is a bad songwriter.

WARNING: THE ABOVE POST IS IRONY.

I don't think there is one person on this board that complains more than Conor...
Conor... that's a bad thing...

Why oh why can't I be on in the evenings :(

Conor said:
Steve is inconsistent.
I agree. Then again, if he was consistent, we (well, you actually) would all be sitting and staring at the screen instead of discussing nicely, as seen here. :innocent:

The Saint said:
After almost a 100 listens, I thought it was time to add my grain of salt into this thread. As RW says it, I was pleasantly surprised about this song. I wasn't expecting this kind of song at all. I must admit I thought I would never hear such mature-sounding song from Maiden. More than 10 years waiting (ok, ok, to be really honest, some songs were amazing in that interval  ;))

Hi Saint, I enjoyed reading your contribution to this topic.

The Saint said:
Don't misunderstand me, I love the flashy galloping Maiden, but this is the real deal for me.  This and long complex songs (here, RW and me have to disagree). I've matured (well, did I?) over time and this suits me just perfectly.

I also think Maiden's best songs are the long and complex ones. I love their short ones as well, but most of them were not that good after Bruce left for the first time. Since the Blaze era and also afterwards, Maiden has proven that they are still masters of long songs.

The Saint said:
The non-mastering of the album is the best idea since the invention of the wheel. I mean, have you actually listened to how the instruments do sound on this ?

Heheh great quote, I'll keep it in mind !

The Saint said:
I can't wait to listen to the album on an hi-end sound setting.

Oh, and the video is the best they've ever done. The ones who remember me from the old days might know that I caused a stir by saying that Eddie was non-essential for Maiden (even if I do love it) and this video proves my point (me being me I can only agree with myself, of course... ahem  :mellow:)

Cheers

I agree very much about the video. This is certainly one of the best they ever did. Dark, serious, moody and even threatening atmosphere. I enjoy seeing and hearing the video way more than just hearing the mp3.
Nice editing and it also strengthens the live feel of the music.

To the people who think this was a bad video, a question: "What metal video(s) (in general) do you like?" I am curious what you like about those more than this video.

Call of the Wintermoon (Immortal) is a good video.  Holy Smoke.  Blow Your Speakers (Manowar).

Basically anything that is so cheesy and takes the piss a lot ;)  BTW, I like complaining, especially after Maiden promised a progressive album and the first single from it is far from progressive ;)

They just copied and slightly modified bits and pieces from previous songs.  The riff is in 4/4 timing.  The riff is repeated a lot.  The lead vocals are not harmonised.  The three guitars play basically the same thing.

This is not a progressive track.

Yes, yes, my mistake, ROTAM is in third person. And I did mean POTO.  Though I'll counter with Wasted Years!

On another note does the intro bit right at the start remind anyone else of TETMD.

mortiz said:
On another note does the intro bit right at the start remind anyone else of TETMD.

No, it reminds me of Dance of Death, but as conor said, read the previous posts as people have answered differently.

Conor said:
After maybe about 20 listens I ahve the song sussed.

Intro - The Evil That Men Do
Intro speaking part - Dance of Death
Main riff - a slowed down Fortunes of War (or any X Factor song)
Bassline - typical chugging Maiden, Rime...
Instrumental section - Sign of the Cross
Lyrics - vague and meaningless, The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Chorus - Seventh Son of a Seventh Sonesque
Solos - Slow and bog standard, like something from No Prayer for the Dying Album
Outro - Fortunes of War
Actually Onhell, I was thinking of my little gem on page 2 ;)

I like the song, especially the guitar riff. It's heavy'n'groovy. Bruce's singing is creepy at the beginning (especially when he says the second "let me tell you why") and generally amazing throughout the song. I agree with most of you about the intro/outro situation. It's getting tiring, especially the bass line. Although the little intro solo (which reminds of a lot of Maiden intros) and the vocals at the beginning are quite good. Maybe the outro could be avoided. It's completely unjustified since the song for me ends perfectly with the nice guitar cut at 7:04.

The video is good. Probably the best in years.

Now, about Steve's lyrics. I agree that they fall into the well known self-concious in search of peace of mind category. But they have more power than usual. And great mystery lies beneath them! What exactly has this poor man done so that his soul has to live with the guilts that derive from the suffering of thousands of souls? Could he be someone that had anything to do with the drop of the atomic bomb?!? I don't know why this thought struck me, it's probably irrelevant, but I thought of it in the general (although not officially admitted) war concept of the album (let's not forget 'Brighter than a Thousand Suns' that refers to the bomb). Now that I think of it again: "The sin of a thousand souls not (!) died in vain" makes it a bit more confusing. In any case, what the song achieves (although in part due to Bruce's performance) is that in the end you feel sorry for this Breeg bastard. Benjy my dear, sorry about all that!

ANYWAY enough of that. THE SONG ROCKS... Bring the ... Matter ... on!

gkonst said:
Now, about Steve's lyrics. I agree that they fall into the well known self-concious in search of peace of mind category. But they have more power than usual. And great mystery lies beneath them!
How do they have more "power" than normal?
They are generic metal lyrics with no meaning.  I wouldn't call them "mysterious", I would say they were rushed and uninspired.

I heard it many times now and I honestly have to say that I don't remember a better single since "Infinite Dreams" (1988). On a sidenote: I also liked "Futureal" and "Rainmaker" a lot, but "Breeg" might top these for sure.

Some people complain about recycled ideas, but the only thing that Maiden might have done before, stylewise, is this kind of intro. Still, its melody is new. The rest of the music is very fresh and new for Maiden, apart from a very short part in the intersection (during the harmonies) in which the rhtyhm guitars remember me a little but of "Look for the Truth".

And what a solo by Dave Murray ! This is one of his gems and I am pretty sure that it's worked out well (like Adrian often does) and he will probably play it live the same way, as much as he can.

My favorite parts is by far the chorus though. Great vocal lines and a very catchy vocal melody and nice chord progression, which stay in your head constantly.

I also love the "marching" drum beat, especially in the chorus (again!) when I hear the ride cymbal, bass drum and snare combination, making it impossible for me to not move my head and feet. :)
Simple but so effective! Way better than e.g. Nicko's not well chosen and messy drumparts in "I live my way".

IMO the mix of this single (and album) is the best sound Maiden has had since The X-Factor. And it might even be the best mix of all albums, but this is something that has to be judged after we will hear the new album. :)

Well what can I say...This song it's a masterpiece.Bruce's voice is...no comments!
I'm waiting for the album!

UP THE IRONS!!! :wacko:

Back