Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg Video

Albie said:
Yes, but these have lots of tempo changes. ;)
Not necessarily... HbtN keeps the same tempo throughout besides the intro and outro.

Conor said:
Not necessarily... HbtN keeps the same tempo throughout besides the intro and outro.
I thought that sped up a little around 3/4 the way in. :huh:

Back on track - I've not said much about the video itself and I have to say, I quite like the split screen effect. Almost a little bit like a Lynda La Plante TV drama.

I liked it. The first person soliloquy as been common since Maiden's earlier writings, but I think maybe 'Array has run out of ideas as to where to take it in the recent years. For example, The Trooper and HBTN are both spoken in first person but they have little in common lyrically. In DoD specifically there seem to have been a couple of recurrent themes.

Then again many of Maiden's classics are written in the First person style: HBTN, The Trooper, ROTAM, POTM switches half way through. It's a style 'Array knows. But we need some variation I think, here's hoping that we get a few more third person songs.

After almost a 100 listens, I thought it was time to add my grain of salt into this thread. As RW says it, I was pleasantly surprised about this song. I wasn't expecting this kind of song at all. I must admit I thought I would never hear such mature-sounding song from Maiden. More than 10 years waiting (ok, ok, to be really honest, some songs were amazing in that interval  ;))

Don't misunderstand me, I love the flashy galloping Maiden, but this is the real deal for me.  This and long complex songs (here, RW and me have to disagree). I've matured (well, did I?) over time and this suits me just perfectly.

I was even surprised Bruce had nothing to do with this, as I got used to him writing heavier stuff on his own solo albums. Bonus: he's not growling.

Last but not least, the sound production is just brilliant. And we're talking about some streamed material and not the hi-quality sound on a CD. The non-mastering of the album is the best idea since the invention of the wheel. I mean, have you actually listened to how the instruments do sound on this ?

I can't wait to listen to the album on an hi-end sound setting.

Oh, and the video is the best they've ever done. The ones who remember me from the old days might know that I caused a stir by saying that Eddie was non-essential for Maiden (even if I do love it) and this video proves my point (me being me I can only agree with myself, of course... ahem  :mellow:)

Cheers

Real World said:
Gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised about this. Gave me goosebumps when it kicked in. Yes its a fairly simple song but thats what I want. I don't want a song to sound like 3 songs stuck back to back thats what I hate about the last two albums. The only thing is it goes on mabye a minute or two longer than it needs too. A little bit of a Angel and the Gambler syndrome there but overall I love it. And the video was great in my opinion. Really different with a good feel good vibe to it :)

True Saint, the video is good considering it is not the stereotypical crappy/cheesey metal video (Why do metal bands make such crappy videos anyway? Low budget?), it being a step up from that... but it isn't good by any other means.

I'm really pleased with this song. It's a bit different from what Maiden has done in the last two albums and thank god for that. I also hear on Bruce's singing that he has learned that he can't push his voice to do the same things as in the 80's, but now he does his possibly best and it sounds good.

And if the rest of the album has songs of this quality I think it can be something comparable to the albums in the 80's. In short, this song is fucking amazing :)

See you in Globen, Stockholm on the 17:th November. I'm definitely going to scream along to this song with all the other metal heads...

mortiz said:
I liked it. The first person soliloquy as been common since Maiden's earlier writings, but I think maybe 'Array has run out of ideas as to where to take it in the recent years. For example, The Trooper and HBTN are both spoken in first person but they have little in common lyrically. In DoD specifically there seem to have been a couple of recurrent themes.

Then again many of Maiden's classics are written in the First person style: HBTN, The Trooper, ROTAM, POTM switches half way through. It's a style 'Array knows. But we need some variation I think, here's hoping that we get a few more third person songs.

POTM? :huh:

And RotAM is third person narrative, except for the spoken extract in the middle, and the extract 'Day after day......nor any drop to drink'.

I think he meant POTO, as in "Phantom of the Opera" which is indeed a first person narrative.

Every section of Rime... is a third person narrative Silky... even the part in the middle ;)

Conor said:
I think he meant POTO, as in "Phantom of the Opera" which is indeed a first person narrative.

Every section of Rime... is a third person narrative Silky... even the part in the middle ;)

“Day after day, day after day
we stuck nor breath nor motion
As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Water, water everywhere and
all the boards did shrink
Water, water everywhere nor any drop to drink.”

“One after one by the star dogged moon
too quick for groan or sigh
each turned his face with a ghastly pang
and cursed me with his eye
four times fifty living men
and I heard nor sigh nor groan
with heavy thump, a lifeless lump
they dropped down one by one"

:huh:

Conor said:

Surely bits like "we stuck..", "cursed me.." and "I heard nor sign.." suggest that the sections quoted from the poem are in fact in first-person narrative.

P.S. Damn, Silky beat me to it.

I think that just highlights the bad songwriting style of Mr Harris.

My fault for the spoken narrative, that is indeed first person but the Bruce first person part is in contrast to the rest of the song.  As I say, that is 'Arry's fault :angry:

Conor said:
I think that just highlights the bad songwriting style of Mr Harris.

My fault for the spoken narrative, that is indeed first person but the Bruce first person part is in contrast to the rest of the song.  As I say, that is 'Arry's fault :angry:

:rolleyes:

Back