Recent additions to your music collection

To be honest, it's good, but I do think that the status of that album overshadows many other great Tull albums.
It's not necessarily Tull's best album. After hearing only four Tull albums (the first four -Aqualung is no. 4-), I can already state that Aqualung is not my favourite.

Check Ian Anderson's own take on where Aqualung stands in the Tull discography, if if you wish:
http://youtu.be/3ZsosM5iqtU

starting at 9:58

I forgot to mention that I downloaded the whole Genesis discography. Playing in chronological order, now I'm at Foxtrot.

A Passion Play is really the ultimate in prog rock IMO, just a fantastic album (as is Thick as a Brick).  Under Wraps is the only album of theirs I do not care for at all.

Have you heard them all, bearfan? Man, they did a lot! I'm planning to check every bit of Jethro Tull. :)

I forgot to mention that I also have Roots to Brances (1995) and I really love this one (apart from the closing song, which really sounds too much like a Dire Straits song). But the rest has some really cool eastern melodies and such clear flute playing.

I am pretty sure I have heard them all at some point, but I only own up to Crest of a Knave (which I really like as well).  This is really a case where the Maiden B-Sides turned me onto a band,  I got into Jethro Tull and Nektar in the 80s because of the Maiden covers and more recently into Golden Earring (beyond Twilight Zone which was a pretty big hit).  I think it's cool when bands like Maiden (Metallica does a good job of this as well) covers songs that influenced them..I wish more bands did it, though I will say the Foo Fighters Medium Rare record is a really good recent covers album.

The Earring? Cool to see another member trying them out (beyond the singles). :)
Rinus Gerritsen is Steve's most important influence when it comes to style of playing (or sound - can't remember what Steve exactly said in the Don't Stop the Show (1999), a very interesting documentary on the Earring).

Maiden didn't cover Genesis and Wishbone Ash but they are also interesting to check out, since they influenced Maiden (or at least Steve).

I recently got Argus by Wishbone Ash, real solid album.  I want to start picking up more of their stuff.  Early Genesis, I enjoy.  The Phil Collins stuff, not so much.

Golden Earring is a really good band and they were one of a few bands that made a good transition from the 70s to the 80s without totally cheesing themselves out.  I have Cut 21, Grab it for a Second, Switch, The Hole, and To The Hilt by them so far ... enjoy all of them.

Eh man, you miss one of their most important Earring albums (and not per se because Radar Love is on it):
Moontan (1973) with Vanilla Queen, one of the best songs they ever did.

I do not own much but have heard all albums at least once. So I'd like to tell you that their 1969 and 1970 work is also highly recommendable (I especially dig the last two I'm gonna mention now):

On the Double (1969) double album with lots of variation.
Eight Miles High (1969) with the stunning 19 minute Byrds cover "Eight Miles High".
Golden Earring (aka Wall of Dolls) (1970) which features some excellent hard rocking songs.
This is the first Golden Earring album with drummer Cesar Zuiderwijk as a member. It is also the first album where they were known as "Golden Earring." This lineup would be kept intact til this date (41 years that is).

Golden Earring has had a long career with many ups and downs. After a good period always came a bad period (with flop album(s)). That doesn't mean that certain albums should not be explored of course. :ok:

Jupz said:
:ok:
Have you listened to these yet? How are they? Just wondering, I've heard some good reviews of Falconer but never listened to them.

Hey Jupz, wanted to expand on the Falconer albums, I couldn't figure out who they reminded me of but today it hit me - they're like a male version of Nightwish (with Tarja, not the new one). Very similar in terms of their power/symphonic approach, very melody driven, with dashes of Tull and Gamma Ray. A very interesting band.

5 New CDs:

David Gilmour - On An Island
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell III
PJ Harvey - White Chalk
Robert Plant - Band Of Joy
Robert Plant /Alison Krauss - Raising Sand

I have not heard any of these albums before, really looking forward to it.

just got no more lies souvenir ep and out of the limiteded silent planet ... im starting to get that mindless collecting feeling :bigsmile: :rocker:

15 million songs -- via Spotify (which, now that it is gaining a foothold in the U.S., is going to change the music business forever)

Back