Rant Thread

Fuck film school. Where everyone is an arrogant prick who thinks they’re the greatest director/cinematographer/etc ever.
Woof, yes indeed. As a film school graduate I can confirm there are only four kinds of film students:

1. egomaniac pricks with too many opinions
  2. absolute weirdos who mostly want to hide from the world
  3. normal tech people who study all the grunt work (lighting/camera/etc - these are the only people with film degrees who will get jobs)
  4. normal film lovers who will probably never use their film degree beyond graduation

You missed out 'History students who need to do a study unit in a different arts discipline and are kind of interested in film'.

Woof, yes indeed. As a film school graduate I can confirm there are only four kinds of film students:

3. normal tech people who study all the grunt work (lighting/camera/etc - these are the only people with film degrees who will get jobs)
  4. normal film lovers who will probably never use their film degree beyond graduation
I'm probably number 4.
The thing is that today, with the rapid advancement of video technology, everyone who gets an expensive camera in their hands thinks they're made men.

I'm probably number 4.
The thing is that today, with the rapid advancement of video technology, everyone who gets an expensive camera in their hands thinks they're made men.
Yeah, it's a harsh reality when they learn that it doesn't really matter what camera you use as long as you know how to use it. Oscar winning movies and major TV shows have been shot on iPhones, etc. Even harsher reality for all of the dickhead director egomaniacs is when they find out that their talent and studies don't matter anywhere near as much as being some producer's cousin or nephew.

I was talking to a guy today whose short film I’m editing and he was surprised at the length of the first cut - 16 minutes - while he had expected 25+ minutes. “You know what they say about student films - the shorter the better,” I told him, half-serious. And he got so offended at this, tried to babble something about being professional, not a student etc, looked at another guy in the room for support. What a delusional way to act, imo. I don’t think what I said was actually that offensive, was it?

I was talking to a guy today whose short film I’m editing and he was surprised at the length of the first cut - 16 minutes - while he had expected 25+ minutes. “You know what they say about student films - the shorter the better,” I told him, half-serious. And he got so offended at this, tried to babble something about being professional, not a student etc, looked at another guy in the room for support. What a delusional way to act, imo. I don’t think what I said was actually that offensive, was it?

Man, one thing I've learned both in real life and on the internet. you NEVER know what's going to set someone off. You might think it's harmless and to them it's the biggest insult on the planet. Maybe they're assholes, maybe they had a bad day, maybe they take themselves too seriously, etc. When I used to make videos in high school and college, man, I thought I was the next George Lucas or Quentin Tarantino. I had a MESSAGE, see? a VISION. It HAD TO be shot and edited a certain way.

However, I quickly learned making videos/movies/films, is a small miracle. So much shit can go wrong. Actors quit, the weather doesn't cooperate, you can't find a good location to shoot, etc. You THOUGHT you could fix something in post and well... no, no you can't, now it's too late. I came down to earth real quick. Hopefully your classmate does too or he'll be in a world of hurt.

I am #1 and I wonder if I missed my vocation. Should I have gone studying film? I love it. I would love it if less people appreciated Kubrick and more people appreciated Ford. Could have made the world a better place. Oh well..

So I'm moving team at work and less than pleased I was picked to go.

They wanted to move some of the longer-term staff to a new section that's being created to house an influx of new starters who will likely need a tremendous amount of help seeing as no classroom can really prepare you for the job. The work that's going to be assigned is being moved in from another office and is likely to be in a poor shape, because (no kidding?) they previously gave it to an office with a high percentage of new starters who didn't know what they were doing.

Not surprisingly, nobody volunteered to move to this section, so they started picking people who really don't want to go. They claim it came up as a result of my most recent performance assessment that I'm ready to build on my experience by becoming a mentor, and came up with all this stuff about how it would stand me in marginally better stead for promotion if any kind of promotion was available. All I see is sections getting rid of over-40s and sticking them all on one section. If there's one good point, at least my new manager is a very fair one, though.

I'll miss my old team meetings. They were a bit like Maidenfans Chat, maybe with slightly less power metal.

I didn't go to film school but I do a lot of non-professional art (photographs, stories, sometimes drawings). I have to admit that I find it precious precious, and if somebody criticized it, I would be butthurt. :) Works of art are extremely personal, I find.
Seconded, but for lyricism. I can call my works shitty every day of the week but as soon as someone else does I’m like, “You motherfucker...”

I'm probably the least artistic person here, but I think that if you have decided to share your art (or "art") with others, you should also be prepared for negative comments and critique. Otherwise, keep it to yourself.

I have a friend whom I love to pieces and who went to film school. I saw a few of his short films. I told him the lighting's bad, you can't hear a thing and the plots make no sense. He responded by explaining to me what the plot meant and what kind of cultural references they include. He didn't respond by asking how he could make it better.

He's 40 now and hasn't had a proper job for a single day in his life.

I have a friend whom I love to pieces and who went to film school. I saw a few of his short films. I told him the lighting's bad, you can't hear a thing and the plots make no sense. He responded by explaining to me what the plot meant and what kind of cultural references they include. He didn't respond by asking how he could make it better.

He's 40 now and hasn't had a proper job for a single day in his life.
Sounds about right.

I'm probably the least artistic person here, but I think that if you have decided to share your art (or "art") with others, you should also be prepared for negative comments and critique. Otherwise, keep it to yourself.

Yeah, well there's also the "tHeRe iS NO rIgHT WaY to do it, it's art, I don't need to learn the basics, there is no objectively correct way, I don't need to practice, I have a VISION and that's valued more by the society today"... and sadly, at least in the latter part of the sentence, they are right.

I am just as pissed about this in painting/drawing, but already on this forum I have been educated by some young, gentle soul that it's legit and that artistic vision is more important than actually being able to do things right.

If I could take this opinion, gouge out its eyes and throw it in a room full of razors, telling it "the key is there somewhere", I would.

If you can't paint/draw a portrait so the person is recognizeable, if you know nothing about perspective, if you lack the basic knowledge of human anatomy, if you don't know how lights and shades work, if you know jackshit about texture, if you never painted/drawn an animal or a tree or a plant or a human being... get the fuck out of here, because your abstractions are gonna be useless.

First learn to do it before you start having "visions". First prove you can draw/paint before you start with abstract shit that you don't even understand yourself. FUCK.

I remember how an art teacher once called me out on my bullshit. We were supposed to make sculptures of our own design. I just made some random triangular shape because I hated the class and I disliked the teacher. I actually liked art, I just didn't like how it was taught. He asked me what the thing I made was supposed to be and I told him it's art, don't question it. He told me that any artwork needs a set of rules to go by, even if I made up the rules myself, even if the rule was one of no rules and that I can't just declare something as art like that. It doesn't need to represent or say something concrete, but it needs to be something, even and especially if it means to be nothing.

It ended up being a set of interacting triangular shapes with golden spray paint, which is ironic because trigonometry was my biggest nemesis in maths that year.

And at another time, I will tell you why I think what he taught me was both absolutely correct and dead wrong depending on how you look at it.

Back