Rant Thread

Friend's dad died and other friends decided I should be the one to call and ask what happened / when's the funeral etc, because they are all too awkward and expect her to cry over the phone. Dammit.

It's also awkward because I never know what to say over the phone in those situations. Do I just go short with "Sorry to hear that, if you need anything we're there" etc, or ask for details of what happened? I mean, she was my best friend like 10 years ago but we drifted off, so I'm not sure if I'm close enough to ask for anything other than basic details. And also I'm not gonna be able to make it to the funeral most likely anyway, so I have to ask when it is and then say I won't be coming.

A356jiI.gif

As someone who lost their father a few months ago, I'd say that the worst thing was that some people I considered close remained completely passive. No phone call, no message, no nothing. In the end, it turned out they were too afraid to call me and were afraid they would upset me, but it was completely misinterpreted by me as not caring at all and left a feeling of bitterness. So I'd say, call her, be brief and offer her help. You will notice if she feels like talking about it more or just leave it at that.

Yeah, I'm surely gonna call, but gonna rehearse what I'm going to say before I do.
All you have to say is, "I heard about your loss, and I'm really sorry. Myself and X and Y and Z would like to come to the funeral. Would that be okay, and if so, when is it?"
If she says it's happening while you can't go, then you follow up with, "Okay. I'll actually be unable to attend then as I have some longstanding travel plans, but I'm passing the information on to X and Y and Z. I hope you accept my condolences from here. If there's anything I can do, just let me know."

Came to work this morning. Saw an email from my boss telling me there's an issue and I need a training with a colleague asap. My colleague is in Munich. Since I didn't request any leave for next week (thinking it would be relaxed at work) I was asked to look for a return flight on 27.-29. December. My boss wants me there all day on the 27th, so none of the flights were good enough. I pointed out to him that the 26th and 27th are holidays here, he told me that it's an urgent issue that needs to be resolved immediately. So I'm going to spend part of Christmas in a hotel in a business park in a Munich suburb. I'll probably spend the evenings at the hotel bar looking like this:

6aed3d27eed9958848d4f7f7ebdd6aeb--humphrey-bogart-casablanca-rick-blaine.jpg

That's disgusting and reprehensible, Per. Sorry to hear that. Fucking corporate delusions of grandeur.

And to add insult to injury, he misspelled my last name when booking the hotel. He has actually never spelled it correctly as far as I remember.

Back