Random trivia

Not necessarily a repetition of a vowel or a word where each and every vowel is present (in the case of this word, it only uses three of the 5 vowels). Just a word that when spelt out has one vowel following another (and so on) to make 5 in a row. For example, beautiful has three in a row.

France - beating Brazil (with a very dodgy looking Ronaldo) 2-0. Both goals scored by Zidane.

But still my question remains unanswered.

Edit: It not an unusual word and it is a word you may well use every day.

Edit2: :uhm: This is what is commonly known as a Schoolboy error - it was not 2-0, it was 3-0 (Petit scored as well).

Uhmm, hey, Thousand_suns, I know you enjoy the trivia section, but all I ask is that you wait for one question to be finished before the go signal. Others have to wait for their question to be answered. :)

Anyway, Albie, i think it's Aeaea, some sort of Greek mythology lore, in terms of 5 letters. There are longer words that have consecutive vowels though.

@ Donuts: That's not the word I was looking for. You would find this word in an English dictionary, and that word is not in any of mine - it is also a very commonly used word. It can (and does) have consonants either side of the 5 vowels. And us Brits are supposedly obsessed with doing it. :D

Albie,
France won the 1998 World Cup on home soil for the first time after beating Brazil 3-0 in the Final in St. Denis on Sunday, 12 July. Zinedine Zidane scored two goals in the 27th and 46th minutes while Emmanuel Petit scored the winning goal in the 90th minute, thus ending Brazil's hopes of winning the World Cup for the 5th time.
Alright, you may continue your questions, everybody.

Attachments

• France - 1998 F.I.F.A. World Cup Champions.jpg
    France - 1998 F.I.F.A. World Cup Champions.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 7
thousand_suns said:
....thus ending Brazil's hopes of winning the World Cup for the 5th time in a row.
Without sounding too pedantic, that would just be 5th time, not 5th time in a row. Prior to 98, Brazil won in 94, 70, 62 and 58.

Unfortunately, I won't be around to say if my question is answered or not, so I will post the answer here in a spoiler using the white font to disguise it further. If you don't want to know, don't look. If you think you're right, quote this post and all will be revealed.

Queueing - although the spelling of the word as "queuing" is also acceptable, but that does not have the 5 vowels.

'Queueing - although the spelling of the word as "queuing" is also acceptable, but that does not have the 5 vowels'
Albie, I've got your answer now.
My final question on football - Which team won the 2000 U.E.F.A. European Championship in Belgium/Holland?

Actually I think it was France. The final was probably between Italy and France...oh wait...yes it was, because France barely won with 2 goals, and Trezeguet scoring the golden goal during extended time....I remember now, I actually saw that match on TV and I remember it because it was a good match.

True, I was mistaken... Thtat made france the first country to win a consecutive world cup and european cup. Way to go Natalie :D

Natalie,
Correct answer. On Monday, 2 July, world champions France won the 2000 European Championship for the 2nd time in Rotterdam, Holland, by defeating Italy 2-1 in the Final. Marco Delvecchio scored for Italy in the 55th minute while Sylvain Wiltord scored a late equalizer in the 90th minute, then followed by David Trézéguet's golden goal in the 103rd minute, therefore ending Italy's hopes of becoming European champions for the 2nd time.

Attachments

• France - 2000 U.E.F.A. European Championship Winners.jpg
    France - 2000 U.E.F.A. European Championship Winners.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 17
Which (current) Greek island was sieged twice by the Ottomans and eventually fell, more than 40 years after the first attempt?

Some hints:

The Knights of .... were given twelve days to leave the island and would be allowed to take with them their weapons and any valuables or religious icons they desired. Islanders who wished to leave could do so at any time within a three-year period. No church would be desecrated or turned into a mosque. Those remaining on the island would be free of Ottoman taxation for five years.

The conquest of ...  was a major step towards Ottoman control over the eastern Mediterranean and greatly eased their maritime communications between Constantinople and Cairo and the Levantine ports.

The Knights .... initially moved to Sicily, but in 1530 obtained the islands of Malta and Gozo and the North African port city of Tripoli as fief from Emperor Charles V.

Try to guess first, since looking up should be a piece of cake. ;)

Very correct. I am happy to say that I will visit Rhodes this month for two weeks!  :)

Oh and I love such news:

AFP - Wednesday, September 5 02:13 pm
RODEZ, France (AFP) - A spelling mistake on the Internet led to a surprise trip to remote southern France for three Norwegian tourists who thought they were going to a Greek island, airport officials said Wednesday.

The family group from Torp-Sandefjord thought they had booked a flight to the island of Rhodes but instead the journey from Oslo took them via London to Rodez, capital of the mountainous Aveyron department.

According to airport authorities at Rodez some 10 tourists make the same mistake every year.

source: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20070905/t ... b96_1.html

:lol:

thousand_suns said:
Alright, can anybody tell me when was Malaysia's Independence Day?

Easy peasy, it is August 31st  B) This refers to when the Malaya peninsula was given independence from the British Empire in 1957. However, the current Malaysia also includes islands between the peninsula and Indonesia. These joined the federation in september 1963.

As I am tired and a bit reduced by the cold, I will give a simple question: Actually, there are more languages in which the Finnish word sauna is translated to a word sounding completely different. Which language(s), and what is(are) the translation(s)?

Back