Random trivia

Whatever the answer is, this is very interesting!

Bavaria?
South West of Germany?
France?

@LC, I think you might have guessed it right (I didn't look up anything).

Loosey has it.
Incidentally, the Saarland was also initially supposed to be split from Germany following the first World War (and annexed by France), but was returned to Germany after a plebiscite in 1935.

Natalie,
You are correct. The king cobra is undoubtedly the world's longest venomous snake, growing to a length of 18.5 ft (5.7 m), and with a width of up to 1 ft (0.3 m) at the neck. Back in 1984, my uncle killed one measuring 13ft in length.

Attachments

• King Cobra.jpg
    King Cobra.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 10
Perun said:
Loosey has it.
Incidentally, the Saarland was also initially supposed to be split from Germany following the first World War (and annexed by France), but was returned to Germany after a plebiscite in 1935.

Last spring, my parents cycled through this country on their way from Maastricht to Verona! A lot of "Saar" in the names (river, places etc.).

If my facts are correct, the 1980 U.E.F.A. European Championship was for the first time hosted by one country - in a similar way that the World Cup is hosted. The format they used previously was a home and away knock out tournament until they got to the semi's - then one of the four semi-finalist would have been chosen to host the two semi's and the final. Back in 1980 (and right up until, and including, 1992 in Sweden) the tournament would have had group qualifications open to all European nations and then the top two in each group qualify to give us a finals consisting of 8 teams. Euro 96, hosted by England, saw the tournament double to have 16 teams.

As for the answer, I don't actually remember - but my first instinct suggested Italy as they had a damn good side back then and were the winners of the succeeding World Cup in Spain (1982). However, I do know that only one nation has been the Euro champions and the World Champions at the same time, that being France when the then World Champions won in Euro 2000. So, no idea - but at least you, the reader, would have read my little bit of trivia. :D

Edit: But I can tell you the winner of every Euro tournament since.

Albie said:
However, I do know that only one nation has been the Euro champions and the World Champions at the same time, that being France when the then World Champions won in Euro 2000.

Not to mention France became the worst world champion ever after being kicked out of the tournament without a single goal in 2002.  :D
Well, it wasn't too happy, because I supported France back then.  -_-

Albie, it was ex-West Germany that won the 1980 European Championship. On Sunday, 22 June, West Germany became European champions for the 2nd time after beating Belgium 2-1 in the Final held in Rome through goals from Horst Hrubesch (10th and 88th minutes). René Vandereycken scored for Belgium in the 75th minute.

Attachments

• West Germany - 1980 U.E.F.A. European Championship Winners.jpg
    West Germany - 1980 U.E.F.A. European Championship Winners.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 7
Eh? Isn't the point of asking your question to wait for others to try guessing it rather than abruptly answering it yourself? That seemed just too quick.,

Perun said:
Not to mention France became the worst world champion ever after being kicked out of the tournament without a single goal in 2002.  :D
That was the worst defence of any World Cup, I agree. Brazil in 1966 was almost as bad - but they did manage to score at least.

What Finnish word is the same in all (OK, perhaps almost all) other languages apart from the Swedish language?

Natalie shhhhh ;)

Ahh, I forgot you were Finnish, so it was easy for you as well ;)

Indeed correct. I got this info from a DVD of the band Stratovarius. Stratovarius is a Finnish band with a Swedish keyboard player. :)

How about this one - there is one (and, as I'm lead to believe, only one) word in the English language that is spelt with 5 consecutive vowels and no consonant in between. What is that word?

Back