Random trivia

Eddies Wingman,
Your answer is correct. As the Federation of Malaya, which formed the whole Malay Peninsula, Malaysia gained independence from Britain on 31 August 1957.  The states of Sabah and Sarawak on Borneo Island joined Malaysia in 1963 while Singapore, on the other hand, left in 1965 and became an independent republic. My country celebrated its 50th Independence Day recently.
Here's your answer on sauna -
Bastu (Swedish)
Badstu (Norwegian)

My next question - Where was the 1990 Commonwealth Games held?

Easy.  Auckland, New Zealand.

Iran, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Vatican City.

One of these nations doesn't belong.  It's not based on religion or race or anything to do with the general populace.

Is it North Korea because it is not controlled by one person alone? (First thing that occured to me, so probably wrong, but worth a guess.)

One of these nations....doesn't belong.  Nation being the key word here?  I would say Vatican city because it is a city/state, not a nation? 

I do count all of those mentioned as nations.  And all are ruled in theory by one person.

The difference is in the government type.

The leader of Vatican is elected through a council of popes, while the others were by majority vote? Well, unless you count off Saudi Arabia which has monarchs..

Do you refer to the system of government itself, or a factor of it?

Iran,

It's ruled by a popularly elected president, whereas Saudi Arabia is a monarchy, North Korea is a dictatorship, and the Pope is elected internally.

Alright, that is technically correct, but not the answer I was looking for.  Consider the *official* heads of state of each nation, not necessarily the elected or actual rulers...

LooseCannon said:
Alright, that is technically correct, but not the answer I was looking for.  Consider the *official* heads of state of each nation, not necessarily the elected or actual rulers...

The Supreme Leader of Iran is an Atoyallah (i.e. Muslim cleric)
The Pope, the leader of the Vatican, is a Catholic cleric
Don't know about Saudi Arabia, but I assume there's a Muslim cleric somewhere there
Which would make North Korea the odd one out, because it has no religion full stop, and certainly none in politics?

Exactly.  North Korea is the only one of the four without theocratic elements officially enshrined in the supreme head of state, though the "official" biography of Kim Jong-Il has many divine elements towards his birth and ascendancy, those are not entrenched and simply attributed.

As many of you may know, cows are ruminants, and have four 'stomachs'.  The largest of these is called the rumen, and is where food is deposited initially upon swallowing.  However, as a calf, milk collecting in the rumen will not be digested, but ferment, due to bacterial growth there (which is a vital part of the cattle's feeding later on).  This causes a condition called scour, which can be fatal.

My question is; how, when feeding, does the calf's body ensure that milk does not flow into the rumen, but into the omasum and abomasum (the stomach proper)?

To clarify, here is a diagram of a cow's stomach(s):

cow_stomach.jpg

Bit of a long-winded question, but it's all I could think of.

national acrobat said:
Bear in mind not everyone works in a vet surgery like you, Raven. :D

Like I said, it's all I could think of.  I'll post another if no-one offers a solution.

Back