Random trivia

Who Am I? (fictional character)

I was born in Belgium but became famous in England.  I am well known for my interesting facial hair and peculiar mannerisms.  People come to me after the most unfortunate of events occur.  I have been portrayed by many actors on the silver screen - the most famous (but not most recent) would be Peter Ustinov.

Who am I?

thousand_suns said:
Which team won the 1990 F.I.F.A. World Cup in Italy?

(West) Germany with a penalty of Brehme, against Maradona's Argentina.
I was only 5, and I remember watching the game at home on a small bw tv, just some days after I was released from hospital where I had a surgery... :(

Abandon,
Your answer is correct. On Sunday, 8 July, ex-West Germany won the 1990 World Cup for the third time after beating Argentina 1-0 in the Final held in Rome courtesy of Andreas Brehme's 85th minute penalty. For Franz Beckenbauer, however, he achieved this feat by winning both the World Cup as a player in 1974 and a coach in 1990.

Attachments

• West Germany - 1990 F.I.F.A. World Cup Champions.jpg
    West Germany - 1990 F.I.F.A. World Cup Champions.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 6
ABandOn said:
(West) Germany with a penalty of Brehme, against Maradona's Argentina.
I was only 5, and I remember watching the game at home on a small bw tv, just some days after I was released from hospital where I had a surgery... :(

Shame on me, I was talking about Italia '90 while thinking about Mexico '86  :blush: After all, it was another W.Germany - Argentina final, wasn't it?  :halo:

thousand_suns said:
Abandon,
Your answer is correct. Ex-West Germany won the 1990 World Cup for the third time after beating Argentina 1-0 in the Final held in Rome courtesy of Andreas Brehme's 85th minute penalty. For Franz Beckenbauer, however, he achieved this feat by winning both the World Cup as a player in 1974 and a coach in 1990.

My next question - What is the world's longest venomous snake?

Thousand suns, please reserve the next question to the person who answered the question correctly, ABandOn.  :)

Every one gets a chance.  :yey:

Yes Abandon,
The 1990 World Cup Final is a repeat of the 1986 Final in Mexico.

I noticed that too.

@thousand_suns: you are asking questions non-stop, without giving someone else a chance (especially the one who gives the right answer).

thousand_suns said:
Yes Abandon,
The 1990 World Cup Final is a repeat of the 1986 Final in Mexico.

The king cobra.

Not a lot of people know that following the second World War, Germany was not divided into two, but in fact into three independent entities, along with the territories that were given to Poland, the Soviet Union, The Netherlands etc, and, of course, the reinstatement of Austria. The two commonly known ones were the Federal Republic of Germany (West Germany) and the German Democratic Republic (East Germany). The third one was short-lived and was never quite a self-sustaining state, although it did issue its own money and had its own government, as well as an own nationality for the citizens. The future of the territory was under heavy debate, with the government of the FRG favouring its return to Germany, the occupying power favouring a semi-independent status with economical dependence to itself, and the locals striving to become the first "European territory". In fact, the minister president initiated plans for building institutions which now reside in Brussels, Strassbourg and Luxembourg to be built in his capital.
Eventually, West Germany and the occupying power issued a compromise treaty that went for the "European Territory" solution. However, the majority of the population of this territory rejected the plans, and not long afterwards, the territory became part of the FRG- almost ten years after it became "independent".

What is the name of the territory, where is it and who was the occupying power?

Quote from Wikipedia
After World War II, leaders from the United States, United Kingdom and the Soviet Union, organized a meeting at the Potsdam Conference. Talks were focused towards future arrangements with post-war Europe and actions to be made against Japan in the Pacific. The nations came to the agreement to split Germany into four occupation zones — French in the southwest, British in the northwest, American in the south, and Soviet in the east. In 1946, the first three zones were combined. First the British and American zones were combined into the quasi-state of Bizonia, then only months afterward, Bizonia and the French zone were combined into Trizonia. In 1949, with the beginning of the Cold War, the two zones (Trizonia and the Soviet zone) became known as West Germany and East Germany.

Is this what you're looking for Perun?

Powergirl: Nope.
Forostar: Alsace-Lorraine isn't part of Germany today, is it? Although you're close.

Back