Rainmaker

How good is Rainmaker on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I give this one a definite 10/10. I found this an irresistibly addictive song when I first bought DoD. I remember a few car journeys to work where I pretty much listened to it on a loop without ever getting bored, increasing the volume with each listen. I still think it's an excellent song, and I like the fact that it's just a straightforward, uncomplicated track - I wouldn't want Maiden to sound like this all the time, but it's perfect for an album #2. Favourite part is the guitar embellishment that accompanies Bruce's second dream about the rain falling upon the leaves.

Even though I typically prefer the longer, more progressive songs, I love Rainmaker. It's catchy, exciting, and full of melody, and a highlight of a generally weak album. Easy 10.

Definitely a 10. One of Murray's best songwriting credits, I think. Fast, to-the-point, catchy, powerful, energetic, etc. etc.

A true highlight off of DOD.

On of Maidens best rockers. The harmony after Murray's excellent solo is the definitive highlight of the song.

Great interplay collaboration between the lyrics and the music. The fantastic main riff sounds exactly like raindrops.
Bruce also sounds much better on this track then on Wildest Dreams, and the lyrics are better. What bothers me is that when we reached the first chorus we've heard it all, the rest just repeats. I think I had liked it a bit more if there were more lyrics, it should have felt like the song developed more.

Overall a great track, but still have some flaws. Agree with many of you that it should have been the opening track instead of Wildest Dreams.

7/10

While I love Wicker Man, I tend to agree. I liked the singles from AMOLAD, but Wildest Dreams and the two from FF were sub-par.

Was Out of the Silent Planet a single? Because that was pretty good, too.

I wish they'd used this as the opener. It may not be as loud and brassy, but is an excellent stamp of reunion era Maiden song.

Love this song. It has a unique structure to it which makes it a bit unpredictable. The highlight of this song is Dave's guitar playing. So many great fills and his actual solo is awesome. The harmony that follows is awesome. This is a reunion era track that could really stand up with their classic 80s rockers. That being said, it's a bit more mature than that 80s material. You can hear Maiden is aging like a fine wine in this song.
They should really play this song more.

Vocals, Dave's lead and Adrian's (?) chords during the chorus.
Best tone that Dave has used in my opinion.

I wish that they had done DVD releases of more albums so we could get the audio through different channels.

Last edited:
I'd buy shitloads of CDs with all these different guitar only (1/2/3)/ bass only / drum only / instrumental / keyboard only / extra [etc.] versions.

Last edited:
Wonder why they did it with Dance of Death. Not pleased with how the CD turned out?

Probably a marketing thing. Piracy had recently become a mainstream issue because of Metallica. I'd say a DVD version was an early example of record labels coming up with ideas to entice people into buying the album.

Back