Quest For Fire

How good is Quest For Fire on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Most people gave it seven?! :wtf: I thought people hate this song. I think it's decent but apparently others like it more than me!

A rote opening cuts into a rote and busy verse with some incredibly stupid lyrics and unnecessary high notes. This cuts into a pretty decent chorus with some nice vocal harmonies.

Another round of verses, this time without the dumb high notes (but still with dumb lyrics), and then we get another solid chorus. This cuts into an OK harmonized section that gets more interesting when the bass and drums start to do more. This is followed by a good solo and a much better one before returning to the chorus, which ends on a nice long vocal note before closing with an intro reprise.

Dumb intro, dumb verse, and everything else is OK to good. 6/10.

The cheesiest thing Maiden have ever written. "Quest for Fire" can be fun, but it's far from a classic Maiden track, and is definitely the low point of the album. 5

It's not a bad song - for sure it is underrated. SAS is a better song with a great chorus (though being so repetitive for such a short song). On the other hand, QFF has a fantastic melodic solos, especially Dave's one. Also the song has a very good rhythm/tempo and riff, the pre-chorus is good, but the actual chorus is weak. Steve's bass work is also good. But I have to admit it is the worst song from this epochal album, so 6/10.

A lot of people hates the song because of the lyrics, but from musical point of view it's a great track. For me the most important thing is the music - after that the lyrics.... idk, probably because I'm not a native English speaker, but most of the time I like a certain songs if they have a good chorus and I love melodic songs - if the lyrics are good or superb (like in EOTC, for example), then it's a nice bonus. Though, it has songs with lyrics that means nothing (do not make sense at all) and sometimes are confusing, but still the songs are great if they have a great melody, chorus and riff.

For me the most important thing is the music - after that the lyrics.... idk, probably because I'm not a native English speaker, but most of the time I like a certain songs if they have a good chorus and I love melodic songs - if the lyrics are good or superb (like in EOTC, for example), then it's a nice bonus. Though, it has songs with lyrics that means nothing (do not make sense at all) and sometimes are confusing, but still the songs are great if they have a great melody, chorus and riff.
This.:cheers:

For me the most important thing is the music - after that the lyrics....
I think music and lyrics are equally important. If a song is going to have lyrics, make them good, goddamnit! And if the lyrics are there for the sake of having lyrics, why not just make the song an instrumental? The lyrics are (supposed to be) there for a reason, and that's to communicate with the listener. Additionally, the singer is as much a part of the band as any other member, and their voice is just as important as any other instrument, otherwise there wouldn't be singers. To dismiss, or even lessen lyrics in a Maiden song is basically to dismiss Bruce himself. Because if the lyrics are not that important, why bother with a singer?

I think music and lyrics are equally important. If a song is going to have lyrics, make them good, goddamnit! And if the lyrics are there for the sake of having lyrics, why not just make the song an instrumental? The lyrics are (supposed to be) there for a reason, and that's to communicate with the listener. Additionally, the singer is as much a part of the band as any other member, and their voice is just as important as any other instrument, otherwise there wouldn't be singers. To dismiss, or even lessen lyrics in a Maiden song is basically to dismiss Bruce himself. Because if the lyrics are not that important, why bother with a singer?
Lyrics are important but for someone who doesn't pay that much attention to them, the important thing is the catchiness and melody. Not necessarily the words.

I do not said such thing! Of course they are also important, but for me first is the music.
I also did not say you said such thing. I questioned exactly what you said: that the lyrics are not as important as the music. To which I responded that both are equally important.

It's not so much that the lyrics are bad, the complaint people tend to have, other than screechy Bruce vocals maybe, is the very silly cod-prehistoric plot involving cavemen and dinosaurs. But then it is all in the spirit of kitsch films like this:
One+Million+Years+B.C.+Poster

It's not so much that the lyrics are bad, the complaint people tend to have [...] is the very silly cod-prehistoric plot involving cavemen and dinosaurs. But then it is all in the spirit of kitsch films like this:
...or maybe even movies like this one, from 1981:
large_4eOdZbi8Sp6dE1PxQ8LPA1e4m9u.jpg

:eek:

I also did not say you said such thing. I questioned exactly what you said: that the lyrics are not as important as the music. To which I responded that both are equally important.
I agree with @Kalata here - when you're not fluent in the lyrics' language they tend to blend into the background, and your perception of a song is more based on the music rather than the lyrics.

It's not so much that the lyrics are bad, the complaint people tend to have, other than screechy Bruce vocals maybe, is the very silly cod-prehistoric plot involving cavemen and dinosaurs. But then it is all in the spirit of kitsch films like this:
One+Million+Years+B.C.+Poster
No, it's because the music sounds Spanish.
Fucking subconscious Hispanophobia.
#IBlameGibraltar

^And let's not forget that after Maiden, Dennis Willcock was in a band called Gibraltar. That's it. Premonition.

Back