QUEEN SURVIVOR: Results - Innuendo wins!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
  1. Ogre Battle
  2. You're My Best Friend
  3. '39
  4. Tie Your Mother Down
  5. You Take My Breath Away
  6. Somebody To Love
  7. Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy

Exactly. I can't believe this opposition. :down:I guess the song is too serious for some here. Looks like they prefer wussy Queen. Farewell then, White Man, farewell awesome riffs.

Last edited:
I'm genuinely surprised how underrated and underappreciated this album is. Okay, maybe there's the nostalgia factor for me to consider, but out of the albums we've already been through this one is most often on my playlist. It just sounds very mature to me. I admit that it lacks some of the highs of Opera (The Prophet's Song, You're My Best Friend), but it also lacks some of the lows (Sweet Lady, Good Company) and sounds more consistent to me.

Tie Your Mother Down is not my favourite, but it's a very decent rocker (much more preferable than Sweet Lady, for example, since it's at least moderately catchy)

As far as the overproduced Queen ballads go, You Take My Breath Away might actually be my favourite, being much subtler (and darker) than Love of My Life and the bridge ("I will find you") is truly breathtaking. Just like I'm Not in Love by 10cc, it uses the vocal overdubs to make a gentle point and it's not as hit-in-your-face as in other songs (e. g. Rhapsody). This one really moves me, which is not really such rarity for Queen as I've thought, but still exceptional in a way. A cute creepy ending as well.

Millionaire Waltz is über catchy and funny, it used to be my favourite track off the album and one of my favourites by the band all through the high school and I don't really see it that much differently nowadays. It being already gone is a disgrace.

You and I is just so... sunny and bright? I know it might channel the feel of Best Friend a bit, but it doesn't diminish it in my book at all. The song goes down like a good bitter and makes me smile. Which is alright for an "album filler", IMHO. Also, a very brief, but very dandyish guitar solo :D

Somebody to Love is absolutely awesome, astonishing, astounding and definitely some other a's. This new take on gospel is absolutely wonderfully thought through, irresistibly melodic and uncannily produced. Again, though subtler, much better in the whole multidub stuff than Rhapsody, IMHO.

Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy is just beautiful. One part flows into another, every one catchier than the last and that solo to top it of. It's actually rather substantial for such a mannerist, throwaway "funny" track. How in the flying f*** has this 7 votes? :nuts2:

However, I guess I'll go against absolutely everyone with Drowse. Probably my favourite Taylor track, it has an awesome atmosphere and is actually pretty emotional. Sorry to see it gone.

Haven't mentioned Long Away, White Man and Teo Torriate. These are good (White Man is pretty doomy), but nothing exceptional. Still wouldn't skip them, though.

Missed the closure, but would have voted against White Queen, Seas of Rhye, Rhapsody and White Man.

Also, you liking the less popular album is no surprise at this point. :D

Hey, you make me look like some kind of hipster, but I'm really sincere! :D In fact, until this survivor I always thought Opera is the more famous one for the casual fan, but Races to be actually preferred among the more hardcore crowd. Like NOTB / POM, for example. Don't even know why.

Really, I would like to stress I'm not even being the devil's advocate here (well, promotor fidei, but who cares) - I really love Systematic Chaos and FOTD as well. Genuinely and truly. And I'm sad to see to get my favourite songs killed time and again. :(

Some classic albums are more for the casual fans. I think Number of the Beast and British Steel, while good, are both albums that would rank middle tier in the respective artists' overall discographies.

A Night At the Opera is the sort of album that has something for everyone and has earned its status. I would imagine the album for the hardcore Queen fan is II though, not Races.

Some classic albums are more for the casual fans. I think Number of the Beast and British Steel, while good, are both albums that would rank middle tier in the respective artists' overall discographies.

A Night At the Opera is the sort of album that has something for everyone and has earned its status. I would imagine the album for the hardcore Queen fan is II though, not Races.

Yeah, it's not so dramatic here and I don't want to be too harsh against Opera, because it really is an awesome album. It's just that from the very beginning I have some problems with it (especially the boring and overlong Lady and Company) and the centrepiece Rhapsody is... indeed, revolutionary, almost crazily produced and so on, but it's also very in your face, slightly incoherent and by now definitely overplayed. Lazing is cool (and even better when coming after the seriously pissed off Death on Two Legs) but very throw away-ish and with Company and Seaside Rendezvous represent an abundance of the flamboyant, kitschy stylistics that are cool on their own, but here it's just too much. Love of My Life is good, but a bit too pathetic, IMHO. Again, I still like it, just not as much as the others. God Save the Queen is just an outro. So I mostly find myself listening to the album because of Death on Two Legs, '39, Best Friend and Prophet's Song. All of these are awesome and some of the best stuff I've ever heard from the band, IMHO. And Car is cool, true.

But the reputation and stature of the album is definitely greater than the album itself. At least it always seemed that way to me.

I guess you're probably right about II, though. And I love British Steel! :shred: :p

Eliminated
White Man
Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy

Promoted
Tie Your Mother Down
You Take My Breath Away
Somebody To Love

News of the World joins the battle!

Should I stress my hatred and disgust and vote this time only against We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions? :p

Sorry, I've been away from this for a while. How have White Queen, Ogre Battle and Bohemian Rhapsody not been promoted yet?? I understand strategic voting, and people have their unique preferences, but we should try not to be idiots too. :D

Voted against:
Seven Seas
Best Friend
Prophet
All Dead
Fight
Get Down
Sidewalk
Who Needs You
Melancholy

I get the criticisms of News of the World: yes, it is a "cold" album compared to a lot of their catalogue, particularly compared to what came before; and yes, it is very basic in terms of its song structures and production magic.

I don't care.

In terms of a "hard rock" album, they don't get much better than this. Power ballads, anthems, rockers, bluesy numbers, funky numbers, all delivered with precision, power and hooks galore.

I can't think of We Will Rock You without We Are the Champions, or vice-versa. Not sure if I've ever heard one without the other. Some might be sick of them, but I say how can you blame the band for being such damn fine songwriters? We Will Rock You is the definition of catchy and it knows not to overstay its welcome. Transitioning so quickly from something so primal and rhythmic into something as purely melodic and stirring as Champions is brilliant. The tone on May's solo is exquisite and the perfect bridge.

Roger's frenetic punk-edged Sheer Heart Attack doesn't hit Stone Cold Crazy heights, but it's a fun, energetic track that arrives at the right time for album continuity.

Its hooks are less obvious than many, but All Dead is one of my favourite unsung Queen tracks. Just a poignant, understated song with a solid vocal performance from May.

It's overshadowed by Champions, but Spread Your Wings is one helluva rock ballad. Great passionate singing, great tasty soloing and before anyone says it's too formulaic, this is 1977. Queen wrote the formula that Journey et al followed.

I can't stand Hot Space, but if Fight From the Inside was their doorway into that style of music, I don't blame them for walking through. Dirty nasty groove and some biting vocal work from Roger. The band sounds so tight.

It helped me appreciate Get Down Make Love, which I wasn't a fan of in my younger days. Again a dead-nasty tight groove, with Freddy's spitting and preening delivery overcoming a cringey lyric. Not big on the Whole Lotta Love middle, but the chorus (which sounds more like a bridge) is the perfect counterpoint release to the slow burn of the verses.

Sleeping on the Sidewalk is just a fun basic old groovy blues track. Nothing remarkable, but a fun diversion that adds some variety.

The closest we get to flouncy Vaudeville Freddy on this one is on Who Needs You? But the Latin rhythms are something new and Brian's Spanish accents are a nice touch. Again, one of the weaker songs, but still a pleasant diversion.

It's Late
is an underrated, well-constructed hard rock song built around a tasty riff, an easy groove, a raw, emotional Freddy performance and some great Queen harmonies on the chorus. The fact that it opens up for the middle section and the outro jam, elevates it from merely good, to good and interesting.

Spoke too soon when I said Who Needs You is the closest we get to Vaudeville Freddy. My Melancholy Blues might be Freddy's best stab at Sinatra-style crooning. The band sounds so smooth and provides the perfect base for a great vocal performance to close the album.

PS: am I the only one who thinks Jazz should have come before News in the discography? It's almost like they jumped two steps forward after Races, then one step back, then two steps forward again to The Game.

We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions are awesome. Basically invented the idea of stadium rock. Classics for a good reason.

They need to be together in order to be enjoyed best, or at least We Will Rock You does. It passes by so quickly otherwise.

We Will Rock You is awesome. The beat is iconic and it I love Freddie's vocal delivery. The way the guitar fades in is excellent.

We Are the Champions is totally different from We Will Rock You but they work together so well. One of the best choruses Freddie ever wrote. Both songs are classics for good reason.

I don't really care for the more manic punk rock/metal side of Queen and Sheer Heart Attack is no exception. The production tricks put this above some of their earlier attempts at this sort of sound, but the song is still too bland for me. It's a style they never did well IMO. It gets a vote.

Luckily it quickly goes back to their far superior melodic side. All Dead is a nice little tune with a great vocal delivery from Brian May. Love the swelling of the guitars in the bridge. It's short and simple, but it is masterfully written.

Spread Your Wings is great. It's not nearly as explosive as Champions, but I think it's better for that. It still has a great buildup and explosive performance from Mercury. Queen were masters at songwriting and this song, along with All Dead, prove that. Very tasty guitar solo from May during the fadeout.

Fight From the Inside and Get Down Make Love are fun songs with great grooves. The former also has a nice vocal performance from Roger Taylor. Not really my preferred style from Queen, but they do it well.

I love when they write throwback tracks. Sleeping On the Sidewalk is one of the more forgotten tunes on the album, but it's a lot of fun. Who Needs You does the throwback thing much better. Love the bossa nova groove and the saccharine guitar harmonies. Great acoustic guitar solo.

It's Late starts off raw but quickly explodes into the classic anthemic Queen with huge harmonies. Great buildup on this track. The double time section is unexpected but transitions so smoothly.

My Melancholy Blues is the perfect way to end Queen's most dynamic album. Nice mellow ballad to cool down after the explosive It's Late. Very nice song.

I never got to see Queen live, but I imagine this is the best representation of what their concerts were like. Explosive, dynamic, and fun. The first two tracks perfectly set the stage for that and the final track perfectly ends it. There are anthemic choruses, heavy grooves, but also the return of their quality melodic work. Something that was sorely lacking from the previous album. Good stuff.

PS: am I the only one who thinks Jazz should have come before News in the discography? It's almost like they jumped two steps forward after Races, then one step back, then two steps forward again to The Game.
I will have to get back to this after revisiting Jazz, but I remember preferring Jazz by a pretty wide margin. But News was much better on this listen than I remembered.

I don't really care for the more manic punk rock/metal side of Queen and Sheer Heart Attack is no exception. The production tricks put this above some of their earlier attempts at this sort of sound, but the song is still too bland for me. It's a style they never did well IMO. It gets a vote.

Not sure what they're doing wrong on these tracks. But I feel the same way about this as I do Stone Cold Crazy....You can tell it's some of their more rocking material but something about the production or whatever it is just prevents it from really taking off.

For me those songs always feel like they're stuck between two sounds. On one hand you have the raw energy of the song, but then they try to add their over the top bombastic touch with the production and vocal harmonies. It just doesn't mesh well.

Back