QUEEN SURVIVOR: Results - Innuendo wins!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters

Mosh

PM me your Judas Priest album rankings!
Staff member
Welcome to Queen survivor! To make things more streamlined around here, I will be using NP's rules.

SURVIVOR_RULES_017.jpg

All studio albums will be in the game including Made In Heaven and The Flash soundtrack.

The version of Seven Seas of Rhye in this game is the one on Queen II. The version on Queen I is unfinished.

Enjoy!

Queen II is kind of weird in that it has better highs than I but lower lows.

What about Mad The Swine?

Have to listen befor I vote.
Guess I know what the playlist is for work today.

Doing Alright, Great King Rat, Modern Times RNR, Son and Daughter, Procession, The Loser in the End, Nevermore, Funny How It Is :D

I'm not enthralled by the debut. No stand-out song for me. There are nice parts on the album to be found, but they are short and/or often change to territory I'm not that into.

Queen II is kind of weird in that it has better highs than I but lower lows.

What about Mad The Swine?
@Mosh no non-album b-sides/tracks?
No non-album tracks or b-sides. I will be using the main album tracklistings for the 2011 remasters as a reference. If there is a non album track that somebody feels strongly about, I will consider it.

The non album tracks always get eliminated in the early rounds and don't do more except temporarily protect songs from the albums.

So if a b-side was not an original album vinyl version of the album, but is on the 2011 remaster (and I think also on earlier CD release), would you have it in the game? Would you do "Hang on in there"? Originally the I Want it All b-side. I'd like to have that one in.

If it's on the main disc yes. Although I'm not aware of any songs that were added to the 2011 remasters as part of the main album. Mad the Swine is on all CD versions I think, but it's always a bonus track. It's on the bonus cd for the 2011 version as well.

Added Hang On In There to the list!

I used to not care for the debut, but it has grown on me over time. It does feel like the band is still developing their sound. A lot of the songs shift around a lot, as Foro mentioned. Sometimes that works to the songs advantage but sometimes it just sounds like a mess. The ideas that would later make the greatest Queen songs are all there, but it lacks the organization. There are some hidden gems here though.

Keep Yourself Alive is probably the best song on the album. It is the only song that feels fully fleshed out and arranged. Lots of great guitar harmonies and the vocal melodies are awesome. I love how it changes keys at the end. Perfect sing-along song.

I like the way Doing Alright shifts dynamics throughout before its explosive finish. What starts out as a pretty standard rock ballad takes some unique twists and turns. An early example both of Queen's versatility and also Freddie's songwriting skills. This is one that has recently become a favorite of mine.

Great King Rat, My Fairy King and Liar further shows their dynamic side, with more of a Vaudeville influence. Liar is probably the heaviest of the three, there are less soft piano moments than on the other two tunes. These three songs all have good moments but none of them are without some duller moments too. They are probably the best examples of the potential Queen has for being something more than your average rock and roll band though.

Night Comes Down and Modern Rock n Roll both seem very half baked. The former has some nice things happening but ultimately doesn't go anywhere. As for the latter, I'm not too fond of Queen's more aggressive side. I like them best when they're melodic. Their heavier material works better when there's a strong melody or riff happening.

Son & Daughter is an example of heavier Queen done right. That is such a cool sludgy riff. I also like Freddie's gritty vocal performance. Good song.

Jesus is awesome. I like Queen's gospel side. The harmonies are perfect for the chorus and it has a cool verse melody. The manic instrumental section is a nice touch.

Queen II is much better. It's more experimental and I really dig the light/dark concept. Still not as good as their later work, but it shows how promising this band's career will be.

Father To Son shows immediately that the band has already changed quite a bit. The grandeur of this is a perfect start to what is probably the closest Queen ever got to prog rock. Explosive song that feels like a journey without any musical meandering.

White Queen is a nice haunting ballad. Love the final chorus.

I like the folky vibes of Some Day One Day. Brian May's vocals work perfectly over this sort of thing.

Loser In the End is a better showcase for Roger Taylor than his song on the previous album. Nice rocking track.

Now Playing: Ogre Battle

Fairy Feller's Master Stroke is like a musical descent into madness. Seems like the sort of thing they were going for with a few songs on the first album but it didn't work quite as well as it does here. Hard to believe it's less than 3 minutes, they get a lot done in such a short time.

Nevermore is another short but sweet song. Love those Freddie Mercury piano ballads. An obvious predecessor to Lily of the Valley.

March Of the Black Queen is the centerpiece of the album. Awesome tune that shows glimpses of some of their later epics like Bohemian Rhapsody and Prophet's Song. Love the vocal interaction between Roger and Freddie toward the end. Don't think they ever did that much. Best song on the album easily. The false ending is great too. I like to imagine being around in 1974 to hear this for the first time. It must've been unlike anything else!

Seven Seas of Rhye is a cool tune. Seems like they spent a lot of time on it and it shows. Very well written concise song. That piano hook is infectious.

Back