1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prowler

Discussion in 'Iron Maiden' started by Anonymous, Apr 11, 2004.

?

How good is Prowler on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

14.3%
  2. 9

21.4%
  3. 8

28.6%
  4. 7

17.9%
  5. 6

12.5%
  6. 5

5.4%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

Are you kidding? o_O

2. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

What?

I gave it a 6 last time around.
    I am the one that hugely prefers Killers to the debut album. Deal with it.

3. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

This song has a lot going for it: some fun melodies and riffs, good energy, and being the first song on the first Maiden album it has a special quality to it.

The uptempo section is pretty awesome.

All that said, it does leave a lot to be desired. The lyrics aren't very good and it has never been a song I've gone out of my way for. The song itself would get a 5, but judging the performance as well bumps it up to a 6.

4. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

If this song had lyrics about a decurion throwing a cheese from to Lugdunum to Parthia, I'd still give it a 9.

5. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

Cheesist. <_<

Dirty old man chic aside, this is a belting, characterful opener for a debut album and really sets the pace for everything that follows. Still, I can only give it 8/10 because otherwise I'll need 11s and 12s for other parts of Maiden's discography.

6. Nick2632

Nick2632 Nomad

9/10. This one has always been my favorite rocker on the debut. A great album opener and a great 1st track for Maiden. Really like the Beast Over Hammersmith performance, especially since it was the final encore that night!

7. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

6/10. A solid one, I like the riff and the vocal melody, but I'm not that much into the stop at 1:20 and the middle part as a whole. I've also never been a fan of that solo.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  8. DJMayes

DJMayes Educated Fool

8/10. Very fun song and one of the better ones off the album in my opinion. Great solo.

9. Dityn DJ James

Dityn DJ James A coma stole my name.

I've always had a lot of bias towards the Iron Maiden debut. It's rough, fast as hell, unadulterated heavy metal fun. The intro riff is timeless. Excellent solo. Paul's gravelly voice sends this song over the top; Steve's rumbling bass work on songs like this would later become an Iron Maiden trademark. The production also rounds things out, very dirty, I love it. I give this track a 10/10. This song, Sanctuary, Running Free, and Charlotte the Harlot are all songs I constantly find myself coming back to. I love the Iron Maiden debut, it's my third favorite from these guys.

10. Sth2112

Sth2112 Nomad

My second favorite song of this album. Love the fast tempo, Dianno's vocals and one of Dave's best solos ever. Easily a 10

11. Poto

Poto Ancient Mariner

Not a massive fan, quite catchy, but far from Maiden at their best. Weakest opener until Tailgunner. Still quite good, can imagine a lot of older fans loved hearing it back in 2005. Also an extremely important song for Maiden historically.
    7/10

12. mirtilo

mirtilo Nomad

9/10

The song have a nice stand out intro and it's very cool to listen to.

I don't give 10/10 because this rate is reserved for the masterpieces and this is not the case.

13. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

In terms of the short, fast punky numbers that they were doing on the first couple of albums, I think this is the best.

Good song and I really like Paul's vocal and great drumwork. Dodgy lyrics and a bit one dimensional though. In the context of Paul's albums, I'd score it a 9. But in context of whole Maiden catalogue, it gets a 7

14. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

Beginning my journey through IM discography.

So Prowler. I overlooked that song, listening to the 88 version. Amazing rawness, everything about that song fits Paul's voice like a glove. Amazing Davey solo on that one. Will definately spin this one again in the near future.

Great song
    8/10

15. The Reverend

The Reverend Invader

A good energetic opener with terrible lyrics.
    Highlight: The opening riff
    Lowlight: "Well you see me crawling through the bushes with it open wide."
    7/10

16. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Gott Mit Uns

Great start to a great band. 8/10