Prowler

How good is Prowler on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Raw and simple, but catchy. Memorable wah-laden lead. Di'anno sounds good both solo and with harmonies, with a couple of exceptions (e.g. "around" prior to the solo section). Lyrics are kind of dumb, but serviceable.

Beginning to the interlude is OK, but it builds up nicely into a simple but enjoyable solo. Variant chorus, then another round of verse and chorus to wrap it up with a big rock ending!

Good stuff. 7/10.

*Click.* You press the button. The album begins.

Maiden began their album career in a great note. Prowler's opening riff, with that wah sound, is great, and while writing a song about a streaker isn't exactly the coolest thing in the world, the band pull it off. The solo is a highlight as well.

This works as a Halloween track too, if you think of a prowler as some kind of ghouly thing.

8/10. Surprisingly great way to kick off a great band's career... album-wise.

Haven't read the thread but in this vid Paul says its a song about his da. That would make a person believe that he wrote the lyrics. Its certainly not an un-Di'Anno lyric, considering his other Maiden credits.
Given that Paul has been credited on other early Maiden songs it would be strange that he wasn't credited on this particular one. Maybe he was just talkin shit. Still, its not unlike his other lyrical credits. Certainly doesn't sound like a Steve lyric.
I bet that Wilcock wrote it. Before he did 9/11, obviously.

Pretty good, buddy. He is talking shite here, I think, though he is not talking shit but maybe it's just shit in the end.

He means that as a joke obviously.

Is he wearing a swastika t-shirt, WTF!

It's a tee having pictures of Bush Jr and Hitler next to each other and a caption saying "same shit, different asshole". That was a common sight in the mid-noughties. A time when people genuinely thought Bush is the same as Hitler. And that there could never be a worse US president or world leader. Ever.

Yeah that sentiment has not aged well.

I think it's a stupid shirt in general as it doesn't matter what the actual point of the shirt is, if people just glance at it, like I did, then all they will see is a cunt in a swastika tshirt.

Yeah that sentiment has not aged well.

I think it's a stupid shirt in general as it doesn't matter what the actual point of the shirt is, if people just glance at it, like I did, then all they will see is a cunt in a swastika tshirt.

Which plays straight into Paul's attitude. If he heard you say that, he'd step back, open his arms to show you the shirt and then flip you the finger and say, "who's the cunt now?"

Don't forget he's an old school punk whose main concern is pissing people off.

Haven't read the thread but in this vid Paul says its a song about his da. That would make a person believe that he wrote the lyrics. Its certainly not an un-Di'Anno lyric, considering his other Maiden credits.
Given that Paul has been credited on other early Maiden songs it would be strange that he wasn't credited on this particular one. Maybe he was just talkin shit. Still, its not unlike his other lyrical credits. Certainly doesn't sound like a Steve lyric.
I bet that Wilcock wrote it. Before he did 9/11, obviously.

I think he was taking the shit.

Also I had to turn the video off the min he gestured to the audience to sing the main riff. Fucking annoying trend in music if there ever was one....

Prowler was the first Maiden song that I heard, so it always will have a special place in my heart. I think every greatest hits compilation fro Maiden should start with this song - early classic, when you hear the first song from the first album and it is so strong, you know that this band is special. The melody in it is great, the pre-chorus which is also the actual chorus (I think) is superb. The drums are great through the whole song, the riff is awesome and Dave's solo is one of his bests - this song belongs to him (the wah-wah melody is amazing and only Dave can play it the right way) ! Oh, and the intro is a classic. I want this song to be played live more often. And for a special song like this, my only possible rating will be 10/10.

Back