Progressive rock / metal

Wow that comes unexpected. Sad news. I didn't follow the recent activities of the band, nor did I know of his health problems, but earlier this year I started getting in to their discography. Looks like I'll be hearing him quite often in 2013.

RIP Huw Lloyd-Langton.

Meh, they always play the best songs from those albums anyway it seems. Fragile or Relayer instead of Going For The One would've been much cooler.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer. Their first four albums from the 1970 self titled to Brain Salad Surgery are all must haves.

Gentle Giant. One of the most mind boggling complex progressive rock bands, together with Emerson, Lake & Palmer. Get everything from self titled to Free Hand.

Van Der Graaf Generator. Gothic hammond organ fueled art rock with the beautiful but tortured vocals of Hammill. get everything from "The Least We Can Do is Wave To Each other" to "Still Life"

Ian Anderson & Martin Barre from Jethro Tull, first time in Russia, 1992 (documentary).
Ian is a hilarious, I think. Check it out. :)

You're welcome. :D :p

I can't say enough good things about this band. They're the best thing to happen to prog since Dream Theater (and if you don't like DT, then Rush.) There are only two albums but both are masterpieces. Some of the best albums I've ever heard.
0763232305168_600.jpg

and
39660.jpg

Both highly recommended. They require several listens though as they can be a bit dense. Very eclectic though. One minute you're listening to metal and then all of a sudden it's Jazz or circus music. Even a burst of chiptune in one song.

Haha. I hope I won't be up long enough for you to listen to it. :p

But on topic, I'm undertaking a new project starting tonight. I've missed a lot of prog, classic albums that as a prog fan I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't heard. So here's what I'm gonna do; I composed a list of albums to listen to. Either I haven't heard them at all or I haven't heard them enough to form a solid opinion about them. This is just a start, after I get through these I'll make a new list, hopefully finding some new favorite bands to obsess over and go through discographies.

Here's the list:
Yes:
Going For The One
Keys To Ascension

Genesis:
Trespass
Wind And Wuthering
And Then There Were Three

King Crimson:
Red
Lark Tongues In Aspic
Islands
Lizard
Starless and Bible Black

ELP:
Tarkus
Brain Salad Surgery
Trilogy

Camel:
Mirage
Camel

Kansas:
Song For America
Leftoverture
Point Of Know Return

Marillion:
Script For A Jester’s Tear
Fugazi

Pendragon:
The Window Of Life
The Masquerade Overture
Pure

Flower Kings:
Space Revolver

Gentle Giant:
Octopus
Free Hand

If I were to come up with a list like that, I'd doubt I'm a prog fan to begin with. :p I really struggle to discover more stuff.

You're welcome. :D :p

I can't say enough good things about this band. They're the best thing to happen to prog since Dream Theater (and if you don't like DT, then Rush.) There are only two albums but both are masterpieces. Some of the best albums I've ever heard.
39660.jpg

Both highly recommended. They require several listens though as they can be a bit dense. Very eclectic though. One minute you're listening to metal and then all of a sudden it's Jazz or circus music. Even a burst of chiptune in one song.

I listened Visions this morning as I told you. Flawless. And extremely easy to listen, doesn't disturb your brain at all so you can do things by listening to it no prob. Also it's ascending, from the 3rd, 4th song onwards you get into it and you never come out.

In the start I was wondering about the production, I found it a bit polished. Now I'm not sure if I would change something. Must give it a second listen.

If I were to come up with a list like that, I'd doubt I'm a prog fan to begin with. :p I really struggle to discover more stuff.
Yea I'm the same way. When I find a band I like I tend to stay focused on them and nobody else until I've heard just about everything. So I've spent up to a year focused on bands like Yes, Genesis, and Dream Theater. Other bands that I like but not as much as others (King Crimson, Gentle Giant) have sorta been lost in the mix. So my goal is to fix that by writing down select albums by these bands to discover/revisit. Some bands, like Kansas, are almost completely new to me. So hopefully I'll find some new favorites with this.

I listened Visions this morning as I told you. Flawless. And extremely easy to listen, doesn't disturb your brain at all so you can do things by listening to it no prob. Also it's ascending, from the 3rd, 4th song onwards you get into it and you never come out.

In the start I was wondering about the production, I found it a bit polished. Now I'm not sure if I would change something. Must give it a second listen.
Awesome! I'm very glad that you enjoyed it. Visions is amazing. You're right about the ascending part. Which is part of why it's so great. The Mind's Eye is actually the start of a trilogy, ending with Shapeshifter. Then a break in the craziness with Deathless, ending with the epic title song. A really cool progression that keeps you in the entire way.

I used to be very much into progressive rock but I need it in moderation now or else it becomes too weak and whimsy for me in the long run :lol:

I'd like to chime in with two progressive power metal bands where you won't find any conventional arrangements or cliches in abundance..Fans of DT, Queensryche, Iced Earth, which I know most of you are, should find something to really dig their teeth into on these releases:

Evergrey - The Masterplan. Track one from an epic concept album about alien abduction.

Pagan's Mind - Through Osiris Eyes. Progressive metal sublime from Norway

I've ventured back into prog rock territory lately, and have been trying to get an overview of more recent developments in the genre (as opposed to just listening to Selling England by the Pound over and over). I'm going to share some discoveries here.

First of all, Riverside, a Polish prog rock/metal band that I think some of you might like. Their best album is probably Second Life Syndrome from 2005, and its 16 minute title track is a perfect summary of their style:

I've also explored some instrumental prog bands, as well as the somewhat related genre known as "post-rock". Some favourites:

For post rock you need Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Their latest album, 2012's "Allelujah, Don't Bend! Ascend" is as good a starting point as any. Enjoy!

Riverside is good. Second Life Syndrome is awesome. They're definitely one of the few modern prog groups who aren't DT clones.

There's some good post rock out there. Yanqui U.X.O. by Godspeed You! Black Emperor is a great album. They recently put out a new record too, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it.

Liquid Tension Experiment 2 is a classic. Some awesome material there. They also do a kickass live rendition of Rhapsody in Blue, check it out:

Also, if you want some awesome modern prog, Haken is a must. I posted about them earlier in this thread

Back