Progressive rock / metal

Haven't listened to them all that much, but I've never really liked Godspeed You! Black Emperor (what is it with post-rock and terrible band names?). A bit too drone-ish for my taste, though they might grow on me.

Do any of you know Planet X? Another good instrumental prog band, a bit spacier than the others we've brought up here. Couldn't find them on YouTube, but I've listened quite a lot to their album Quantum lately.

I like how GYBE uses orchestral instruments on top of the regular guitar/bass/drum setup. It adds a bit more dynamics to the material. But I totally get what you mean by them being too drone-ish.

Planet X is pretty good. I'm not really into the intrumental prog thing though, so bands like that don't get a lot of listens from me. You might like Scale The Summit for instrumental prog. One of my friends loves them and he's really into that sort of stuff.

Thought these live performances by Jethro Tull are worth posting. They are from the live video Slipstream (recorded in 1980). When looking at Ian Anderson I noticed a very familiar energetic live performance and use of drama/theatrics. It really makes me feel that Bruce was inspired by Anderson. In 1980 Tull were already veterans, with 13 studio albums behind them. Anderson was "just" 33 but -just like Bruce- already had the charisma and stage presence of someone who had done and seen it all.

Check out Black Sunday from the album A. It features beautiful melodies and solos. People into Rush will probably like this:

And now two famous songs, namely Aqualung and Locomotive Breath. They are quite different from the originals but I love the power and added parts (especially in Locomotive). Some cool stage antics as well. :)

Meanwhile I've arrived at Jethro Tull's album The Broadsword and the Beast, from 1982. Quite good !
JethroTull-Broadsword.jpg

I like the use of synths and sequencers. As often: some great melodies. Several songs are catchy. Highlights of this moment: the second song Clasp, Broadsword and album closer Seal Driver.

Jethro Tull is pretty hard to beat, the only album of theirs I really do not care for is Under Wraps .. it got a little to synthy for me

The Aqualung version is incredible. This is a masterpiece. Thanks for posting this Forostar. Tull is such an underrated band that it's a great pleasure to see that some Maiden fans love them.

Here, in France, they are virtually unknown. I went to see them live last year for Thick as a Brick part 2, and me and my wife were among the very few under-60. I tried to get some friends into them, but always failed.

In that sense yeah...It might be hard for an old prog rock band like Jethro Tull to draw in new audiences at their shows but when you speak about prog rock in general they are one of the biggest pioneering bands of the genre and can't really be avoided.

That organ reminded me a bit of the Doors, Sixes.

Here's a Focus, and a standing ovation on the Midnight Special:

New Haken song:

Very awesome. Been spending the day learning how to play and transcribing it

Yesterday was the 2nd edition of the Progressive Music Awards (2013).
Article: http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2013/09/ian-anderson-steve-hackett-marillion.html

I am glad Steve Hillage had an award. Good to see the recognition. I feel he's quite unknown (or underrated) compared to some bigger acts. The guy made some amazing solo albums in the seventies that I can fully recommend. Also David Brock from Hawkwind was awarded. Great band, cool to see them still going, and I hope to see a gig of theirs one day.

No clips of this edition yet, but for now, here are some from last year. Love to see Steve Wilson (receiving) and Akerfeldt (presenting) among their idols!
Fantastic, realistic (and humurous) speech by Tony Banks.

Last edited:
How many of you know Saga? Canadian act, but especially popular in Germany. Their fourth album, Worlds Apart (1981) is Nicko McBrain's favourite album (of any act). He mentioned that in a fanzine. The album was released with different covers:
220px-Saga_worlds_apart_alternative.jpg

220px-Saga_-_Worlds_Apart.jpg

In 2007, Saga played the whole album live:

Awesome sound by the way!

I had no clue they were still around. A friend of mine was really big into them, I saw them live in the early to mid 80s twice. They were really good.

Cool, I have not thought about them or probably listened to them since 1990 .. I'll keep an eye out for them

Cool Brig. That's my favourite Saga song! :)
They're playing that song these days again (I saw 2013 performances on YouTube).
Here's a cool one from 2003:
Cool, I have not thought about them or probably listened to them since 1990 .. I'll keep an eye out for them
How come? They've never quit. Perhaps they haven't toured the US in ages. I think they hardly go out there anymore, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Back