Progressive rock / metal

Mega said:
Oh, I name Mike Oldfield.
I still need to listen to his debut masterpiece "Tubular Bells", but I did listen to "Ommadawn" and it's absolutely amazing. It's also instrumental, other then some tribal chanting.

Tubular Bells is a very good listen too. Lots of folk influences on that one (and there's also a weird hard rock interlude with some creepy werewolf-like vocals, most likely nonsensical)

I'd like to throw in another band, which actually comes from my hometown Delft! I knew them but never took the time to get into their music.

Alquin is a Dutch progressive rock band which released four studio albums in the 1970s. The band split in 1977. They would tour the US, but at the last moment it didn't happen, and the frustration was so big that they called it quits. Still, the band were huge in the Netherlands and they had toured Germany and England (with the Golden Earring), e.g. in The Marquee, London and in France (with The Who). They made a comeback in 2003 and in 2005 and 2009 they released new albums.

Check out this rocking, catchy tune:

"Wheel Chair Groupy" from their album Nobody Can Wait Forever.
2802109.jpg

Recorded in December 1974, produced by Rodger Bain, known of Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Budgie and others.

A longer track: "I Wish I Could" from their debut Marks (1972). You're certainly going to hear some Pink Floyd shining through in this one.

And another nice shorter instrumental one, "Soft Eyed Woman" (from the album Mountain Queen, 1973).

Studio albums
Marks (1972)
The Mountain Queen (1973) (recorded in London with producer Derek Lawrence (Deep Purple, Wishbone Ash and others)
Nobody Can Wait Forever (1975)
Best Kept Secret (1976)
Blue Planet (2005)
Sailors and Sinners (2009)

Live albums
Alquin on Tour (1976)
One More Night (2003)

Compilation albums
Crash! (1977)
Wheelchair Groupie (1999)
The Universal Masters Collection (2002)
The Ultimate Collection (2005)

Tomorrow I'll see Wishbone Ash, for the first time. I am not getting that happy when I read what has happened with this band in the last 15 years or so. At this point there are even two Wishbone Ashes!

I am going to the one with Andy Powell.

Read more about the controversy here
chapters:
- Revolving line-up era again (1995-present)
- Controversy
- Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash

I'd like to voice a bit of discontent for the album Benefit (1970).

220px-JethroTull-albums-benefit.jpg

I have a double feeling when playing it. First I thought this was going to be one of my favourite early Jethro Tull albums, but now, this has changed.

I have played it several times this week and I find it such a pity that it does not maintain the same high level as its first three songs. The first two albums have a better mix (and a higher amount) of exciting songs.

Still, "Nothing to Say" and "With You There To Help Me" are some of the very best they did in their early period and are as least as good as the best ones from the first two albums.

I also like "Teacher", which is a bonustrack on Benefit, but I prefer the original UK version.
And that one is hard to obtain.

Speaking of Tull, I mentioned somewhere else that I bought THICK AS A BRICK and I really like it. Sure it's just one track, but it is one REALLY GOOD track. I also have Aqualung. I want to venture further into Tull, but they have so many albums I don't know where to begin. What do you recommend?

Pick This Was, Benefit, Aqualung, Stand Up (first 'Arry Tull album), Minstrel In The Gallery, Songs From The Wood and Broadsword And The Beast or Crest Of A Knave, from the 80's.

From the regular studio albums, I only heard the first four (the fourth is Aqualung), and I like them all, though Benefit less, as explained in the previous post.

This Was -the debut- is a bit bluesier and jazzier but it has some nice things going on. Stand Up, the second album, is -next to Aqualung- perhaps the most consistent. My next goal is checking Thick as a Brick, looking forward to it. :)

I HATE Aqualung. (The song) Should I listen to other Tull stuff or  is it just hopeless for me.

I just do. From the moment I first heard it. I can't stand the singer either.

Onhell said:
Speaking of Tull, I mentioned somewhere else that I bought THICK AS A BRICK and I really like it. Sure it's just one track, but it is one REALLY GOOD track. I also have Aqualung. I want to venture further into Tull, but they have so many albums I don't know where to begin. What do you recommend?

I'd recommend Stand Up as an example of their early bluesy style, Minstrel in the Gallery to hear their second best prog effort and Heavy Horses to cover their more folksy leanings.

Avoid A Passion Play at all costs. I wouldn't touch it with someone else's brick, no matter how thick.

Thick As A Brick is a monsterpiece.

Aqualung is a must-hear album. I think it's about half classic, half meh.

Benefit has Teacher and To Cry You A Song. Both of them fargin' rawk.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Benefit has Teacher and To Cry You A Song.

That harmonic guitar work in the beginning reminds me a lot of Wishbone Ash (or the other way around). Check out Ash's "The Pilgrim". The Tull song is older.

This is my favourite song from Benefit, Nothing to Say (Onhell check it out). I really like that vocal melody, beautiful. Those twin guitar interludes are like glue in this song.

Shadow said:
I'd recommend Stand Up as an example of their early bluesy style

I'd rather say Stand Up is a departure from the bluesy style they made on their debut (due to Anderson who wanted to broaden his horizon and the departure of the first guitarist (Mick Abrahams) who was into blues rock, and who did not want to change that sound). Of course there are still some elements, but it's less prevalent.
Entrance: more classical and celtic elements, and hard rock. Anyway, whatever we call it, the recommendation still stands of course!  :ok:

Wow, thanks a lot guys! I'll definitely keep the recommendations in mind.

@Mosh: One song does not a band make. You might like some of their other stuff, but I suggest you youtube it before purchase. I have a best of that SUCKS, because Tull has so much material and a lot of it REALLY good, that it is impossible to get a decent best of record, but it was a nice sample.

You're welcome, Onhell.

Onhell said:
@Mosh: One song does not a band make. ...

Besides: When I was 14, I liked about 1% of what I like now (I'm 35).
You got YEARS ahead to get used to certain bands, especially old bands might appeal more when you get older.

I think you should try Death Cube K's Dreamatorium. DCK is an anagram of Buckethead, a very eccentric guitarist who used to wear a KFC bucket on top on his head during live performances. Now he just wears a mask. This is far from being traditional progressive rock, it's more psychedelic and soundscape-like than that, but it's very good, IMO. Dark, surrealistic atmospheres, sometimes reminiscent of DSOTM-era Pink Floyd.

Onhell said:
Wow, thanks a lot guys! I'll definitely keep the recommendations in mind.

@Mosh: One song does not a band make. You might like some of their other stuff, but I suggest you youtube it before purchase. I have a best of that SUCKS, because Tull has so much material and a lot of it REALLY good, that it is impossible to get a decent best of record, but it was a nice sample.
I did hear Locomotive on the radio today and I thought it was pretty good.

In the last couple of months I have been heavily into A Passion Play and Thick as a Brick. Both epics have moments where I think: "Man, this and this part take looooong", but it never urges me to the point of having enough of it. That's probably because both epics contain some really cool parts.

One of the next missions is obtaining Nightcap, since I'd like to follow the chronological path, as much as possible.

Any other Yes fans here? I'm just getting into them. Close to the Edge is amazing! (the album, and the song).

My progress might be slow but my listening goes deep... ;)
In the last half year I have digested several Jethro Tull and Genesis albums.

I really enjoy The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway a lot. As a whole album it keeps me on the edge of my seat a bit more than most earlier albums. There's some unique atmosphere to it all. Might be my favourite album with Peter Gabriel. Still this doesn't say much yet, since I have only heard the albums around 3 times.

Also I realize what's so good about Genesis compared to all those other prog bands: The singer.
Gabriel's voice was one of the best out there. And Collins' as well. Of course there are more interesting aspects to compare, but this is an easy difference, imo.

My next Tull album will be Songs from the Wood. The last couple of albums I did not find that brilliant so I hope this will change again. :)

Next band I plan to plunge into will most definitely be Hawkwind. I have heard several cool songs, and they really seem to fit my taste well, with their hypnotic guitar riffs and I like the vocals as well.

Back