Primal Rock Rebellion

^ I agree. This album is really powerful and original.
No Place Like Home, Bright As A Fire, Awoken Broken are my fav. (currently).

I'm going to take a peek at the elephant in the room and ask everyone's opinion: compare Awoken Broken with British Lion- which do you prefer, what are the strengths and weaknesses of both, which one will hold up better over the years, and will either solo/side project influence the next Iron Maiden album?

British Lion was decent.
Awoken Broken was fresh and adventurous.

AB also rocked harder, had more texture, and much better sound.

Awoken Broken beats British Lion in almost every aspect IMO. Like mckindog said, it's more fresh and adventurous. It has better production. Has better guitars, drums and vocals (bass is better on British Lion).

Awoken Broken is the best album I've heard in two years. I enjoy every single bit of it. I have even got used to Mikee's singing.
British Lion is an average album to me and I absolutely can't stand the singer.

Awoken Broken beats British Lion in almost every aspect IMO. Like mckindog said, it's more fresh and adventurous. It has better production. Has better guitars, drums and vocals (bass is better on British Lion).
Despite the fact that Awoken Broken wasn't my thing, I agree with all of this.

Spinning the album now, by the way, I'd like to get into this

A phone interview with Mikee Goodman. Not an outstanding interview overall, but still gives some insight on Mikee's view on the album, his lyrics and his singing. It's not new but I only discovered it now.

http://mcbbassman.tumblr.com/post/23739380723/check-out-my-interview-with-mikee-goodman-of-sikth

Highlights:
1. Mikee's favourite songs are The Mirror and the Moon, White Sheet Robes and Tortured Tone.
2. Mikee would love to work with Adrian again, as the reviews they got were very positive.
3. Adrian had Savage World and Search for Bliss ready even before starting work with Mikee.

The interviewer speaks really awkward a lot of stops and "You know"s going on, really bothering. Thanks for sharing Ariana plus don't get past on Tortured Tone in the highlights, Mikee also called that one in his favorites.

I just listened to the three songs that are mentioned once again, this album is just flat out amazing.

It is indeed. I really can't say there is a single song that is weaker that the rest - all of them are top quality. Apart from As Tears Come Falling from the Sky, which I'm not even sure is a song.

Last year when it came out I was impressed from the production, sound, freshness and loved No Place Like Home. But it didn't really click like a favourite.

After reading some posts like the below, I gave it a more careful listen. It's a very nice effort indeed. New favourites are Bright as a Fire, Savage World & Awoken Broken, but as many people noted, every song is worth mentioning.

Agreed- Awoken Broken is not a surface-level only kind of work; it takes several listens to sort out all the layers and styles.
I've been listening a lot to this album lately and the more I listen, the more I like it. There is some great stuff there. I admit it didn't sound that amazing the first time I heard it but now I'm just swept away.

I remember when I first gave this album a listen, I wasn't too fond of it. Maybe it was Mikee's vocal style that caught me off guard or the heaviness of it since that was something I wasn't too use to at the time of listening. Infact, No Friendly Neighbor almost put me off to the whole rest of the album. That's really the most screamy yelly song on there and I'm normally not a fan of that but you can't judge an album just by it's first song so I soldiered on and I'm so glad I did. I'm really glad I gave this album another shot. I'd love for them to do another album but that probably won't happen anytime soon with Maiden going on tour.

For months and months now, I've put Awoken Broken into "cold storage." Not because I don't like the album (I LOVE it!), but because I think I tend to overlisten to some albums, which makes them more routine or unremarkable than they really are, OR (oddly opposite) I will give it too much of a pass simply because it's a project I have emotional attachments to (in this case, it's something Adrian had a hand in and I think very highly of him and his music) and so I need to just get away from it. So, *poof* off it goes to the vault. Now, that said, I have had my iPod on "shuffle" since forever and driving in the other day I heard a song off of British Lion (one of the better ones, maybe "Us Against The World") then immediately followed by "No Place Like Home" and oh. my. goddess: the difference was stunning. I'm not entirely slagging off BL, there are parts of it that are palatable, but the vibrancy, energy, heaviness, and clean production of "NPLH" just blew it away. I'm thinking it's time for me to break AB out of "cold storage" and crank it at max volume!

As for the interview, I applaud Mikee's efforts to get more going for PRR. But, is it just me or does anyone else get the impression that Adrian has moved on, that he's not pushing to get more PRR out there? In a recent interview, he (Adrian) seemed surprised by the knowledge that fans had voted on "Tortured Tone" to be the 3rd video. I'd think he'd be more in the loop on that. He also nearly spasmed when the interviewer labeled PRR a "band" and H quickly pointed out that it was just a side project and that Maiden remains his focus. Now, in the past he's said that he couldn't contemplate taking PRR out on the road b/c of Maiden commitments, or that it was such a big undertaking (even a club date tour) that it wouldn't happen. Well, now we know Steve is touring British Lion- 24 shows across Europe. That's something of an undertaking, but he is doing it and it won't (seemingly) interfere with his Maiden commitments. I hope I am entirely wrong and we'll see another PRR album, but the vibe seems to indicate otherwise. Could just be up in my foggy head, too.

Cheers,
Chris

I tend to agree with Chris that Adrian has moved on. He's certainly happy with the way the albums has turned out and he liked working with Mikee, but I think that if he's willing to give Primal Rock Rebellion another shot, that will be when Maiden are done. As for touring, he said himself that he loves writing songs for his side projects and playing with them but he's not very keen on promoting them. It's almost like he records them and he forgets about them. So I don't think a PRR tour is on the agenda at all. Not while Maiden are still here.

the other day I heard a song off of British Lion (one of the better ones, maybe "Us Against The World") then immediately followed by "No Place Like Home" and oh. my. goddess: the difference was stunning. I'm not entirely slagging off BL, there are parts of it that are palatable, but the vibrancy, energy, heaviness, and clean production of "NPLH" just blew it away. I'm thinking it's time for me to break AB out of "cold storage" and crank it at max volume!

Yeap, stunning. No offense to anyone, but I don't even bother to compare these two albums. I had some high hopes for British Lion, but after a few listens (about 10), I lost completely interest for Harris, praising reviewers & partly Shirley.

As for the interview, I applaud Mikee's efforts to get more going for PRR. But, is it just me or does anyone else get the impression that Adrian has moved on, that he's not pushing to get more PRR out there? In a recent interview, he (Adrian) seemed surprised by the knowledge that fans had voted on "Tortured Tone" to be the 3rd video. I'd think he'd be more in the loop on that. He also nearly spasmed when the interviewer labeled PRR a "band" and H quickly pointed out that it was just a side project and that Maiden remains his focus.

Amazing!! So many years later and this guy, Adrian, continues to surprise me. Kudos.
I bet we gonna see more H interesting projects in the future. My excitement for that is of the same level -if not higher- than a new Maiden album. My dream project would be with Barlow on vocals.

Yeap, stunning. No offense to anyone, but I don't even bother to compare these two albums. I had some high hopes for British Lion, but after a few listens (about 10), I lost completely interest for Harris, praising reviewers & partly Shirley.

I don't see British Lion as anything else but Steve Harris lending his bass skills to a group of friends and their bar band.

Primal Rock Rebellion is a much more accomplished and actual project.

Agreed on comparison. British Lion sounds weak. It's nice to hear Harris dominant in the mix again, but that's about it.

I don't see British Lion as anything else but Steve Harris lending his bass skills to a group of friends and their bar band.

Primal Rock Rebellion is a much more accomplished and actual project.

Yeap. That makes a lot of sense. But still, they could have chosen a bar band name. Seeing Harris' name printed out on a cover, made my expectations grow up immediately; I never expected Harris putting his name in a 'project' like this. I was wrong.

Back