Primal Rock Rebellion

I like/love ("I See Lights"/"NPLH") what I've heard thus far. While I will admit that Mikee's vocals aren't exactly what I expected, I thinking that the collision of musical cultures (Adrian's classic metal, melodic style vs. Mikee's modern, frantic, djent style) will produce some surprises and boundary-pushing. I already hear some nice, new tones out of Adrian's playing and his backing vocals seem more forceful and have a greater presence than on Maiden songs. For instance, the solo on "NPLH" has a cool, mid-range tone to it (remnicient of Dave's solo on "Coming Home") and I'm almost positive he sings the bit that starts at 1:50 on "I See Lights" and his "Ooooo-ooo-ooh . . . no place like home" just after the 2nd chorus on "NPLH" (pre-solo) is way cool. All in all, I'm gonna have Awoken Broken in my hands ASaP here in the U.S.; which means plunking down for the import. It'll be worth every penny.

I've heard "Bright As A Fire" in its entirety. Mind = Blown. Adrian's never played with this kind of fire, power, or aggression (IMO) before. It's eye-opening.

I'll have the CD within a week or two, so I'll wait a bit with these samples. But nice to read that, Chris!

Forostar, you have WAY more self-discipline than I do! Once I see a link to new audio from Awoken Broken, I'm on it like white on rice. I think you'll enjoy the creative, bold, and aggressive new sounds from Mr. Smith. Will you do a review after you've had time to give it a handful of listens? I'd like to hear what you and/or some of the other regulars to this forum have to say about it.

wow, i didnt have many hopes, after i see lights i only expected a mid range metal album... no place like home was a bit more promising but still didnt grab me much but ive finally got hold of the album and it all works together so well. the first few songs are a bit standard but pacy and fun, while later on bright as a fire, savage world, tortured tone and search for bliss all contain more than a few moments of brilliance... The vocalists poetic talents give an ok interlude but its not gunna make my ipod and interesting tracks like mirror and the moon finish the whole thing off.
After not expecting too much from the duo theyve really blown me away, it contains an overall guitar sound thats so clearly Adrian and a hint of maiden whisps around throughout along with inventive sounds steve would never let through... one bit even sounds like that band we dont mention Bullet for my Valentine (later instrumental area in Bright as a fire?) aand mikees strange vocal style matches this new sound invention of H's well, when he needs to sing cleanly he does and when he does his improvisation it generally works very well.

9/10 and my favourite song has to be search for bliss :D

Tron, your reaction to the early songs (I See Lights and No Place Like Home) almost exactly parallel my own. I mean, if it says "Adrian Smith" on the cover/liner notes, I'm gonna buy it. Heck, it could be 60 minutes of kazoo/ukelele music and I'd grab it! :) Ok, well, maybe not, but I am naturally inclined to grab whatever he has a hand in. I do think you're right- Adrian expands his sound catalogue with this project in ways that Steve would not approve of for the "Iron Maiden" brand. Which, is a shame, because I think that as a band, you've got to keep searching, stay creative, or else you become a nostalgia act. They've done well, that said, in keeping ahead of the Legacy Act bus, but Adrian shows (with this project) what he's capable of, if given the freedom to do so. I love his varied tones throughout the album-at times modern (No Friendly Neighbor), at others he gives us a crunch I've never heard from him (Awoken Broken chorus), then a jangly, folksy sound (Telecaster?) that reminds me of Led Zepp or Skunkworks era Bruce (I'm thinking R-101) on the song Mirror and the Moon, then a post-grunge dirty tone on Snack Ladders, and finally a quasi-Power Metal vibe (the riff on Bright as a Fire, before and after the first solo, and also the mulit-layered harmony bit on White Sheet Robes). There's a lot going on here, which is natural if we consider the time it took for this project to go from start to finish (5-6 years). I agree- 9/10.

Musically it's good as expected really, Mikee's vocals aren't my thing though. Had the album featured more traditional vocals I'd definately rate it higher over all. Sadly it's not an album I'd reach for very often. I'll probably spin it once more & then leave it on the shelf.

Then why did you buy it? Some albums need to be played more often to be liked more. I'd say this is one of them.

Agreed- Awoken Broken is not a surface-level only kind of work; it takes several listens to sort out all the layers and styles. I'm not denying what you feel about Mikee's vocals- I was in the same boat. When I heard "I See Lights," I thought the same- "I'll get it, but might not play it much." But, with each new song I heard, I liked it more. Then, once I heard it all together, all the songs in their proper order, it clicked. Just as each song has certain nuances and elements that are at first jarring or disjointed, the album is fitted together to a certain rise-fall-rise rhythm. Also, I was at first disappointed that Adrian didn't turn the project into his vehicle for long, endless soloing and widdly-widdly stuff. I love to hear him solo, always will, but this was more about experimenting and setting aside certain conventions that are strictly adhered to in Iron Maiden. Once I came to grips with my own preconceived notions about what it should sound like, I enjoyed it much more. That isn't to say he doesn't play well or there aren't some great solos on there, there are, but it's also about setting a mood, or a riff, or the just plain weird sounds that he wants to explore. Like Forostar suggestions, I'll echo: give it more time and let the sounds really sink it. Try to make the connection between Mikee's vocal delivery and the way Adrian plays- they seem to feed off of each other's creativity and aggressiveness.

Cheers!

Then why did you buy it? Some albums need to be played more often to be liked more. I'd say this is one of them.
I was keen to hear the album in its entirety, therefore I bought it. I don't hate it, but like I said it won't be played often. The vocals are not my thing.

Must admit I thorougly enjoyed it - better than I had expected tbh. Also found it heavier than I expected it to be knowing Adrian's alleged(?) commercial leanings.

Do you think they might play a few gigs (probably only small club type ones) in the Autumn to promote the album?

I haven't listened to the entire album, but moreso parts. I really dig it. It's cool stuff.

I've been listening a lot to this album lately and the more I listen, the more I like it. There is some great stuff there. I admit it didn't sound that amazing the first time I heard it but now I'm just swept away. Mind you, I have never been into nu-metal and stuff like Sikth, so Mikee's vocals took some time to get used to but I can see they really fit musically (well, on most songs, at least).

What I particularly like is that there are so many things like...hidden musically, if I may say so, and they just emerge after hearing the songs several times. The guitars in White Sheet Robes are just sublime. The first half of the album is better IMO, with the first six tracks being simply fantastic.

Now that the initial rush has faded, I can still say one of the best albums of the year, IMO.

Now that the initial rush has faded, I can still say one of the best albums of the year, IMO.

Indeed. Awoken Broken goes into the list of superb unknown/lesser-known albums for me. I haven't heard lots of new stuff in last two years but I think it's fair to say that Awoken Broken is one of the highlights of 2012.

Here's the new video:

Vocalist and video producer/director Mikee Goodman (ex-SikTh) commented:

"I really wanted to bring the vibe of the song out in this video. And I believe this has been achieved. Which is something I am really pleased about, as this song means so much to me. It's such an emotional song, and is a real journey in itself.

The sorrow in the actress' eyes was perfect. The scenery in this video was really important too. It has log cabins, woodland, seascapes, huge bright fields, rainy cobble stone hills and also a bit of stop frame animation.

The most challenging part of this video was making it rain. I felt it was needed, for the feeling of the song, it was always in my mind. So I built my own rain machine. And it rained!"

I have to say again that I love this album. Please H and Mikee, make another one.
It's for sure in my Top 5 albums of this year.

Back