Predictions on Setlist?

Jeffmetal said:
will cover ALL OF THEIR CAREER.

In that case I'll quickly change my expectations for the setlist:

One song off every album (including The Final Frontier). Apart from The Number Of The Beast: two songs.

1. The Number of the Beast
2. Ghost Of The Navigator
3. Wrathchild
4. The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
5. Wasted Years
6. Paschendale
7. New song
8. The Trooper
9. The Clansman
10. The Evil That Men Do
11. Fear Of The Dark
12. Iron Maiden
----
Encore:
13. Man On The Edge
14. Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter
15. 2 Minutes To Midnight
16. Hallowed Be Thy Name

Forostar said:
1. The Number of the Beast
2. Ghost Of The Navigator
3. Wrathchild
4. The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
5. Wasted Years
6. Paschendale
7. New song
8. The Trooper
9. The Clansman
10. The Evil That Men Do
11. Fear Of The Dark
12. Iron Maiden
----
Encore:
13. Man On The Edge
14. Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter
15. 2 Minutes To Midnight
16. Hallowed Be Thy Name

This is perfection. If the real set gets anywhere close to this, I will be enthralled.

Jeffmetal said:
According to the new entry on Maiden's official website about ticket sales for Maiden's U.K. Sonisphere Festival appearance, there'll be a VERY IMPRESSIVE EDDIE, ONE BRAND NEW SONG and will cover ALL OF THEIR CAREER. So this will be, apparently, a much more improved Gimme Ed... type tour. Can't wait for June 9th to come!!! \m/

Oops, didn't notice this earlier.  Despite this announcement, though, I'm a bit skeptical about them playing a song off each album.  Maiden just... don't do that. They promised to play 5 songs off TNOTB on the Matter of the Beast tour and they only played Children of the Damned in addition to the three staples.  When have they played anything off No Prayer?  It's entirely possible, but I don't think it's likely; "all of their career" could also just mean "songs from the 80s, 90s, and 2000s" without referring to albums specifically.  If they do play something from every album, though, I'd expect something like this:

1. The Wicker Man
2. Wasted Years
3. Wrathchild
4. Phantom of the Opera
5. The Trooper
6. Paschendale
7. 2 Minutes to Midnight
8. Sign of the Cross
9. Brighter than a Thousand Suns
10. The Evil that Men Do
11. Iron Maiden
12. Fear of the Dark
13. Futureal
14. Hallowed Be Thy Name
---
15. Bring your Daughter... to the Slaughter
16. Run to the Hills
17. Running Free

Little surprises, The Wicker Man would be a feasible opener since it's an excellent and known song, but they haven't played it in 10 years.  Most of the live staples are there, mixed with some more and less obscure stuff, all of which they've played live before though.  I doubt we'd get any unplayed material on a summer festival tour.  Some of those are partly my wishful thinking (BTATS, Paschendale, Sign), but they're among the best songs on the albums and Maiden has played them live, so I don't see why not.  Bring Your Daughter is the only song off No Prayer that I'd imagine they'd play if they played a song off each album.

Invader said:
Despite this announcement, though, I'm a bit skeptical about them playing a song off each album.  Maiden just... don't do that.

OK, they did that a long time ago. Whole career means for me all albums though. We'll see.

Those that doubt Maiden will play a song off every album BEWARE for they have gone down this path many times before...when touring for 7th Son, the World Piece Tour, Beast on the Road, World Killers Tour...and even the tour for their debut album. Don't laugh, it counts and the argument stands that it is possible they will play from each album.

So it shall be written! So it shall be done!

(dear setlist god, please convince Maiden to play Stranger in a Strange Land and The Educated Fool)

And also a couple of A Real Live One Tour gigs.

To be precise, the last time Maiden played songs from all their albums was Bruce's final gig before he left:
Pinewood Studios, London - 28 August 1993

After that, there was always the omission of at least one album.
From 1995-2002 that was No Prayer For The Dying
Additional info in this period: from 2000-2002: also no Somewhere In Time

Give Me Ed Tour (May-August 2003): no Killers, no The X-Factor
Dance Of Death Tour (October 2003 - February 2004): no Somewhere In Time, no No Prayer For The Dying, no Virtual XI.

The following tours (2005-2009) are not representative. Many albums were left out, since the band chose to play a whole album, or in other cases they focused on certain album(s) of their career.

Invader said:
Oops, didn't notice this earlier.  Despite this announcement, though, I'm a bit skeptical about them playing a song off each album.  Maiden just... don't do that.

I'm a little skeptical too. That might be because I'm holding out hope that they'll play more obscure classics instead of doing one song from each album. Nonetheless, until I hear they've done a song from every one I'm not buying it.

Forostar said:
To be precise, the last time Maiden played songs from all their albums was Bruce's final gig before he left...

This is sort of why I don't think they'll do one from each album. That was nearly twenty years ago, and there's been a ton more material since then. I've said this before, but I just can't see them justifying adding more than one Blaze song and passing up other crowd favorites.

I think it's really time to bring something from the Blaze era and No Prayer back. Even the BNW and DOD songs we heard seven years ago. Many of us forummers haven't witnessed anything of these five albums. This tour is one of the last chances to do this, since I expect Maiden wants to go full force on The Final Frontier, next year.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
Those that doubt Maiden will play a song off every album BEWARE for they have gone down this path many times before...when touring for 7th Son, the World Piece Tour, Beast on the Road, World Killers Tour...and even the tour for their debut album. Don't laugh, it counts and the argument stands that it is possible they will play from each album.

So it shall be written! So it shall be done!

(dear setlist god, please convince Maiden to play Stranger in a Strange Land and The Educated Fool)

Well, it wasn't that hard to find room for songs from all albums when they only had released seven albums (or even nine, which was the case when Bruce left).

Now they are going to have 15 albums to pick from (since they'll play a new song as well). There is room for a song from each album, and it would be lovely (except the fact it would mean they definitely won't play Phantom Of The Opera since that album also contains the ever-present Iron Maiden).

Now, I'll come with my own speculations on the most likely song from each album if they are, indeed, going to play songs from all of them.

Iron Maiden (obviously)
Wrathchild (by far the most frequently played song from Killers)
Hallowed Be Thy Name (duh)
The Trooper (see Wrathchild)
2 Minutes to Midnight
Heaven Can Wait
The Evil That Men Do
Bring Your Daughter ...
Fear of the Dark (again, DUH)
Man on the Edge (because I think they'll do one of the shorter songs here, could just as well be LOTF which they did on the Death On The Road tour)
The Clansman
Brave New World (if they are going to bring a song from that album into the set of staples, this is the one)
Journeyman (yes, I think it is more likely than DoD and Paschendale, due to length - and it has big singalong potential)
These Colours Don't Run

Now, this would make a grand set. But replace Journeyman with Paschendale, Wrathchild with Killers, HCW with Caught Somewhere In Time (opener, please) and Bring Your Daughter by No Prayer (the song). There's a splendid set.

Throw in one more staple (like NOTB), and a surprise song or two. This takes us to 17-18 songs, including the new one, which sounds like a reasonable set length for a short tour.

Forostar said:
I think it's really time to bring something from the Blaze era and No Prayer back. Even the BNW and DOD songs we heard seven years ago. Many of us forummers haven't witnessed anything of these five albums. This tour is one of the last chances to do this, since I expect Maiden wants to go full force on The Final Frontier, later this year.

I don't think the tour will follow later this year seen that they announced the show in valencia as their last gig of this year. But all it's possibile.
Anyway,I agree with you,this could be of the last chance to do a couple of songs from 90's...

The Clairvoyant said:
I don't think the tour will follow later this year seen that they announced the show in valencia as their last gig of this year. But all it's possibile.

I stand corrected, I'll edit it.

The Clairvoyant said:
Anyway,I agree with you,this could be of the last chance to do a couple of songs from 90's...

Yep.

Anyway,don't forget that maiden will be on rockline radio on june 7th and so we could know something other about this summer tour,world tour 2011...and their future plans...!!! But firstly all informations about the new studio album "the final frontier"...even if I think they will announce artwork,tracklist and release date before the tour starts...who knows? we shall see....

Since they have announced that a lot of recent Iron Maiden material will be covered on this tour... I would kill to see something like this

1. Opener/The Wicker Man
2. Futureal
3. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
4. Blood Brothers
5. Rainmaker
6. The Longest Day
7. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
8. Sign of the Cross
9. The Nomad
10. Brave New World
11. Paschendale
12. Dance of Death
13. Fear of the Dark
14. Iron Maiden

ENCORE (if they wanted to finish with some classics)
15. The Number of the Beast
16. 22 Acacia Avenue
17. Two Minutes to Midnight
18. Hallowed Be Thy Name

ENCORE (honestly, my personal favorite... know it will never happen but we all live in hope)
15. Caught Somewhere In Time (i would KILL to hear this live)
16. Sea of Madness
17. Stranger in a Strange Land
18. Hallowed Be Thy Name

Both are realistic enough (with possible exception of 2nd encore, but hey, you never know)

Although that would be a great set, it's far, far too lengthy. Also, there's no way they get out of before the encore without playing more than 1 song from the 80s.

I would love to see that set, though, so I give you credit there.

JackAttack said:
Although that would be a great set, it's far, far too lengthy. Also, there's no way they get out of before the encore without playing more than 1 song from the 80s.

I don't think it'd be too lengthy. They usually pull off atleast 15 and up to 18 songs on the tours.

And they would be giving us the usual Fear of the Dark and Iron Maiden before the encore. They did it during the AMOLAD tour... played all the new songs and left the classics for the encore.

Tyek1230 said:
I don't think it'd be too lengthy. They usually pull off atleast 15 and up to 18 songs on the tours.

Yes, but most of your songs are 7+ minutes long.  Together, they clock in at 2:01:45, and that doesn't leave room for various Bruce rants, the time before the encore, etc.  In contrast, my SBIT show was (according to bootleg) 1:45, and the Live After Death show (okay, it cuts some space in between the songs) is only 1:30 ignoring the 5 extra songs from Hammersmith on the CD.  And just to kill the argument before it comes... no, they won't be doing an over 2 hour show.  They've never done that, and for example at my local Sonisphere Maiden is scheduled to play 8-10 PM.  It might be, if we're lucky, that they will play the whole two hours, but not definitely not over.

Recent tours have been shorter in both setlist and time, usually 14-15 songs, one of which is Wrathchild, included to pad the songlist.

Back