Please post reviews and thoughts on Senjutsu here

Status
Not open for further replies.
In NZ there was a distribution problem. I pre-ordered my album and it came three weeks late. I believe this impacted how they count album sales.
Also NZ was in level 4 lockdown too, there was no way to even buy a physical copy or get one delivered too you due to restrictions I believe so a lot would have impacted sales.
Was good to see it re enter at #9 there this week tho big improvement from its debut position of #21

I may reveal you I'm pretty serious, not trolling at all.
I actually admire your tenacity. Your like a dog with a bone and just won't let go.
The point that I think you are missing is that Maiden are still hugely popular and the majority of Maiden fans are enjoying the new album. You can cite whatever statistics you want however Senjutsu has been a critical and commercial success by anyone's standards.

Compare this one to The Book of Souls - finally first position in 43 countries around the world. One of the reason was premiere date - so same as super popular Billie Eilish, Drake, Kanye West. Very short period between announcement and premiere date with poor marketing in comparison with 2015. Something went wrong...
Poor marketing? I don’t recall them doing anything special for TBOS like they did for Senjutsu. Oh, and there wasn’t this thing called a world wide pandemic in 2015 that has literally affected everything…

Poor marketing? I don’t recall them doing anything special for TBOS like they did for Senjutsu. Oh, and there wasn’t this thing called a world wide pandemic in 2015 that has literally affected everything…
Sorry but they announced new album release date 45 days before the premiere (Sep. 3) when normally artists need 3 to 4 months as usually Maiden did in the past. A very short period to build the PR and finally affected presales results worldwide, normally they should start the process in June or even on the last days of May. And in many countries IM even didn't have cover stories in magazines or promo interviews (for example Eastern Europe where the articles were just translation from British Metal Hammer). Everything were made a way too fast in too short period of time imho.

Last edited:
No matter what the promotion was or wasn't, I still think it is a great album that is let down by the average production sound. This is really evident when compared to other metal releases from 2021 from bands with far less budget and experience.

No matter what the promotion was or wasn't, I still think it is a great album that is let down by the average production sound. This is really evident when compared to other metal releases from 2021 from bands with far less budget and experience.
Generally the mix is not good, trebles are too compressed (Nicko stated like that about his cymbals sound) - Kevin Shirley was mixing it in the very weird style, so I'm surprised Bruce and Nicko are so "adored" with Shirley's production - wise. To me he's never been a proper producer for heavy metal band. Maybe finally they change him for someone else. Roy Z would be my choice.

Generally the mix is not good, trebles are too compressed (Nicko stated like that about his cymbals sound) - Kevin Shirley was mixing it in the very weird style, so I'm surprised Bruce and Nicko are so "adored" with Shirley's production - wise. To me he's never been a proper producer for heavy metal band. Maybe finally they change him for someone else. Roy Z would be my choice.
I think it is evident that if they do anothewr album, it would be with Kevin. It is also over discussed that the sound is to their liking. Sad but true.

Probably (if) they do an another album, the next 5 - 6 year will pass so we never know. In my opinion TBOS sounded a way better, so same as I compared the sound og Live Chapter and semi-bootleg Nights of the Beast. Live Chapter sounded better. I just don't know what's gone wrong?!

Roy Z would be my choice.

My five cents is that it's not about engineering. Shirley is a good engineer. What would make a difference is Harris trusting someone enough for letting him do the job without co-producer's interferences.

This is my understanding so far and I'm totally open to someone proving me wrong.

My five cents is that it's not about engineering. Shirley is a good engineer. What would make a difference is Harris to trust someone enough for letting him do the job without co-producer's interferences.

This is my understanding so far and I'm totally open to someone proving me wrong.
It's very difficult thing Harris is co-producer since 1990 but maybre he's the hearing issues after all these years. But what's about the other members of the band? I bet they can hear some mixing and sound issues...

It's very difficult thing Harris is co-producer since 1990 but maybre he's the hearing issues after all these years. But what's about the other members of the band? I bet they can hear some mixing and sound issues...
But if you also got H saying he likes the mix, even if it is forced upon him, there is no hope in sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back