Please post reviews and thoughts on Senjutsu here

Status
Not open for further replies.
The time has come for me to express my own opinion on Senjutsu as well. Well, I must admit that I had high expectations for the band's new album. Almost a month has passed since the premiere, I have almost 50 auditions of the new album behind me, time for a verdict. The first thing I could notice was the terrible sound of the album. I do not know what is wrong, whether the fault lies in the mix or in the production itself, but the Iron Maiden album sounding so bad has not been for a long time !!! Dickinson is jammed at times, clean treble - withdrawn and bass dominates everything. 82 minutes with this album is a challenge that is not enough. Another problem is Dickinson's vocal form, and in fact its clear discount. After all, the compositions, for the most part, are pathetic, pretentious and devoid of any hits. It looks as if the musicians were creating art for the sake of art or gluing compositions from random fragments. Of course, Senjutsu has a few moments like Stratego, Darkest Hour, Hell on Earth or the title track, but that's not enough. Generally, after the interviews in which Dickinson praised the album, everyone probably expected something much better. We got a fancy album that can only please unrefined fans, it has nothing to do with the greatest works of the group. The graphics seem to be the most successful element this time, but it is not enough. The fans had already decided because, compared to the previous albums, Senjutsu did not sell so well, the orders were much lower and that with a wide selection of formats. That says a lot. RATING: 5/10

So I am an unrefined fan. Good to know. Thanks.

I don´t understand "the fans had allready decided" part.
Decided what? The quality of the songs? The ratings?

The time has come for me to express my own opinion on Senjutsu as well. Well, I must admit that I had high expectations for the band's new album. Almost a month has passed since the premiere, I have almost 50 auditions of the new album behind me, time for a verdict. The first thing I could notice was the terrible sound of the album. I do not know what is wrong, whether the fault lies in the mix or in the production itself, but the Iron Maiden album sounding so bad has not been for a long time !!! Dickinson is jammed at times, clean treble - withdrawn and bass dominates everything. 82 minutes with this album is a challenge that is not enough. Another problem is Dickinson's vocal form, and in fact its clear discount. After all, the compositions, for the most part, are pathetic, pretentious and devoid of any hits. It looks as if the musicians were creating art for the sake of art or gluing compositions from random fragments. Of course, Senjutsu has a few moments like Stratego, Darkest Hour, Hell on Earth or the title track, but that's not enough. Generally, after the interviews in which Dickinson praised the album, everyone probably expected something much better. We got a fancy album that can only please unrefined fans, it has nothing to do with the greatest works of the group. The graphics seem to be the most successful element this time, but it is not enough. The fans had already decided because, compared to the previous albums, Senjutsu did not sell so well, the orders were much lower and that with a wide selection of formats. That says a lot. RATING: 5/10
So just to clarify: you've listened to the album 50 times (averaging nearly twice a day since release) despite having very little nice to say about it and insulting everyone who enjoys it?

#1 in 14 countries
#1 rock in UK/US
#2 in UK
#3 (best ever) in US

"didn't sell well"

I believe Iron Maiden is quite pleased with the sales of Senjutsu.
Compare this one to The Book of Souls - finally first position in 43 countries around the world. One of the reason was premiere date - so same as super popular Billie Eilish, Drake, Kanye West. Very short period between announcement and premiere date with poor marketing in comparison with 2015. Something went wrong...

Oh the irony, someone who calls people who like the album “unrefined fans” and goes on to say the album is pretentious! :lol:

Last edited:
Compare this one to The Book of Souls - finally first position in 43 countries around the world. One of the reason was premiere date - so same as super popular Billie Eilish, Drake, Kanye West. Very short period between announcement and premiere date with poor marketing in comparison with 2015. Something went wrong...
Yes, of course, being dropped on the same day as massive stars will do that. The marketing, as we have previously discussed, was pretty much the same as TBOS - except in your head. Doom and gloom, always doom and gloom, I should get into the mod panel and change your name to Chicken Little.

5/10, get new material

Yes, of course, being dropped on the same day as massive stars will do that. The marketing, as we have previously discussed, was pretty much the same as TBOS - except in your head. Doom and gloom, always doom and gloom, I should get into the mod panel and change your name to Chicken Little.
Facts are facts this album we not worse than previous ones 'cos people didn't buy enough copies from many formats. Today physical albums generally sell poor in comparison with 2015 - but I could bet IM management expected Senjutsu will sell better especially on markets where Maiden did a lot better as Denmark, Norway, Greece, New Zealand or even Japan. The Book of Soul was a big success on these ones back in the day.

Senjutsu not selling as well as previous albums says nothing other than literally every band on the planet is seeing much lower sales of there albums. Buying physical copies is only something the hardcore fan does now days. and the album did pretty well chart wise anyway I would hardly call it a flop.

Another thing could be the lack of activity and touring both TFF and BOS seemed to have massive success after completing pretty successful history tours. Again a lot of bands sales seem to be down during a pandemic with little. Active activity

And as far as Bruce praising the album did you really expect anything less? He or any other band member is hardly going to say they think they made an average album this time around

I could bet IM management expected Senjutsu will sell better especially on markets where Maiden did a lot better as Denmark, Norway, Greece, New Zealand or even Japan
All of which are annihilated by moving up one place in the US.

Senjutsu not selling as well as previous albums says nothing other than literally every band on the planet is seeing much lower sales of there albums. Buying physical copies is only something the hardcore fan does now days. and the album did pretty well chart wise anyway I would hardly call it a flop.

Another thing could be the lack of activity and touring both TFF and BOS seemed to have massive success after completing pretty successful history tours. Again a lot of bands sales seem to be down during a pandemic with little. Active activity

And as far as Bruce praising the album did you really expect anything less? He or any other band member is hardly going to say they think they made an average album this time around
Generally the other bands did a way worse than previous years, I mean Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Greta Von Fleet. Only Ozzy found his immense success achieving Gold in US thanks for Post Malone single streamed. Even the latest AC/DC album went poor in term of sales in comparison with Rock or Bust from 2014.

Your older opinions were better than this bloated one. They had more energy, but now I feel like you're just copying yourself - nothing fresh, just pretentious BS. In short: your opinion is too long and boring which is ironic.

Facts are facts this album we not worse than previous ones 'cos people didn't buy enough copies from many formats. Today physical albums generally sell poor in comparison with 2015 - but I could bet IM management expected Senjutsu will sell better especially on markets where Maiden did a lot better as Denmark, Norway, Greece, New Zealand or even Japan. The Book of Soul was a big success on these ones back in the day.
In NZ there was a distribution problem. I pre-ordered my album and it came three weeks late. I believe this impacted how they count album sales.

Here we go again...
I don't know where he’s goin'
But I sure know where he’s been

Hanging on, whining, in posts everywhere
An' I've made up my mind, I ain't wasting no more time
Here I go again, here RLonger goes again

Tho' he keeps searching for Maiden’s failures
He never seem actually to find what he’s looking for
Oh Lord, I pray you give me strength to carry on
'Cause I know what it means to walk along his looney street of dreams

Here he goes again, with his rants
Goin' down the whining road without substance