Please post reviews and thoughts on Senjutsu here

Status
Not open for further replies.
this album is awesome .. 2 days ago it was the thrill of the first listen .. but now i see it gets better and better on my ears.. hell on earth, days of future past, darkest hour, stratego, time machine, death of the celts .. goosebumps

For the debate between AMOLAD vs Senjutsu lets look at some song match ups:
Different world vs Stratego
Longest day
vs Darkest Hour
The Pilgrim vs The Time Machine
Out of the Shadows vs TWOTW
FTGGOG
vs HoE
The Legacy vs The Parchment

AMOLAD is just such a strong album, even the weakest song is quite good.
i think out of the shadows matches with darkest hour (hands down)

Finnish music magazine Rumba https://www.rumba.fi/arviot/antakaas-kun-seta-kertoo-arviossa-iron-maidenin-senjutsu/ (google translation)

Let me tell you when Uncle says - in the review of Iron Maiden's Senjutsu
9/2/2021 9:40 PM
Metal Mammoth’s latest album could have been forgotten in the safe, and the world would have continued on its course. Just as it continues now.

After Bruce Dickinson’s return to Iron Maiden at the turn of the millennium, the band began to turn into wearing a tobacco jacket and grog glass in their hand from a leather armchair to a storytelling relative whose stories became more meandering as the rings grew. Appreciation and charisma are not in dispute, but year after year the clock should flash more often.

Check it out
The opening track on the Senjutsu album takes away the guesswork: Nicko McBrain’s dominant tome rumble carries a song that, in addition to the ominously howling synths played by Steve Harris, doesn’t seem to wake up despite any eight-minute measure. I don’t know whose ears, in addition to Kevin Shirley, are responsible for the sound world of the album, but it’s very stuffy, stale and dry.

The single, composed by Adrian Smith and Bruce Dickinson, the unearthly, bluesy The Writing on the Wall is the highlight of the album. The chorus of the song is almost the only reminder of the record that in catchy choruses, Maiden was once the best in the metal world. The song, which is also reminiscent of Dickinson's solo material, dodges the maiden's pitfalls of the 21st century with its straightforward progression.

This brings the biggest problem of the album: the songs have great moments at their best, but Maiden is not allowed to combine these pieces into whole entities. Whenever a song wants to get wind under its wings, it stumbles upon some “progressive” solution. The album’s trio, composed by Steve Harris and clocking more than half an hour, is the most brutal example of this: glimpses of decades-old Maiden or even Led Zeppelin evaporate as the next idea comes from behind the triangle.

Iron Maiden and Kevin Shirley’s method of canning Senjutsu was piece by piece on tape and in the safe to wait. The material on the album managed to collect dust for a couple of years until it was decided to dig from there. Now there is one more Iron Maiden album in the world. For lovers of 21st century Maiden production, it’s definitely a nice thing to do.

Last edited:
Finnish rock magazine Soundi (google translation)

Iron Maiden
Senjutsu
PARLOPHONE
Fear overwhelms the mind as we glance at the lengths of Senjutsu’s songs. Only two tracks are five minutes or less in length. Either, on the other hand, we go with aimlessly stiff pseudo-progeing and endless caressing of the song name.

Luckily not. With this, the most disturbing manner is doubling the vocal melody with a lead guitar, and it is not too stressful either. Pöhö, who was blessed as a sinner, still struggles.

The naturally pushing album is a warm-hearted album by a casually playing veteran band.

There is idle. An almost brilliant 40-minute album could have been squeezed out with drastic measures from the 80-minute album, which is revealed to be great. In the noble art of compaction, Iron Maiden has not excelled, especially in the 21st century. The songs progress slowly and the band mostly feels enjoyable with decent compositions. The songs could still have been clicked through stretched intros, excessive twists, extra-long spacers, and unnecessary outs very sadly. NWOBHM veterans still seem to enjoy playing, so let’s go and follow a long formula.

The good-sounding, organically pushing album is a warm-hearted album by a casually playing veteran band. It has the appropriate relaxation and musical serenity. The band does things without coercion, without treating them or trying too hard. The calm tones and clear rhythms are naturally suited to the treatment of the elderly. Surprisingly loud synths bring full-bodied sound to the bold band sound.

His pre-song Writing On The Wall was startlingly startling with its southern rock tones. The song turns out to be a great rally, but the brutal title track that opens the album doesn’t bode well after its tumultuous beginnings. The general progression of a heavy-duty roller cannot stand for eight minutes.

The second song Stratego is already galloping, and the notching of the humic joints is hardly noticed. Lost In A Lost World is a melodically strong but a bit sticky whole. The Naseva Days Of Future Past pounded hard, and The Time Machine, which represents a more progressive side, also works very well. The more Slovak Darkest Hour remains a semi-woolly play and scream.

The record ends on three tracks over ten minutes. Death Of The Celts, which pulses vigorously with a shuffle rhythm, proves to be quite strong. Its long guitar plays are surprisingly enjoyable to hear and simple but the band playing together with power sounds good. The longest song, spiced with a menacing and synth-enhanced melody flow, The Parchment is also amazingly functional, despite the menacing yawning in the middle stages. Hell On Earth has the ingredients for a majestic decision, but it has too much long-winded fragmentation.

Although he is now part of the drill, Senjutsu is a very positive accomplishment. The melodies are strong throughout, and the casually stepping songs fit well with the band’s keys. There is a lot of idle on the record, but it is not a painful flutter, but mainly a comfort-seeking, slightly underpowered pursuit of epicism. Iron Maiden has settled in, but quite elegantly and without losing himself.

Senjutsu is a great album (as I expected) with no weak songs!

The production is very good.
The album is a ''guitar fest''.
Steve is genius.
Nicko and (especially) Bruce are amazing in this album. Bruce sounds as good as his early reunion days.
This is probably the Maiden album with the most instrumental parts.
Very melodic album (like the Blaze era) - love that. Fantastic melodies throughout the album.
Rich use of keyboards/synths.
No repetition in the album at all.

And now for my review:

Senjutsu -> great intro, brutally good riff, epic verses (one of their best) and the chorus is pretty good too (not as aggressive as the verses, which is a nice contrast and fits the song)... great little melody under it. All solos are good. The middle part with Bruce's high vocals is epic (again a great melodic riff under it). The synths are an appropriate feature in this song (it sounds more dramatic). The best part of the song is the outro - brutal melodic riff and a fantastic ''wild'' solo from Adrian. Maybe the chorus is repeated a little bit too much, but still... 10/10

This song has 4 solos! I expected a longer intro.

Stratego -> the Egyptian melody during the intro is great, love the galloping tempo and riff, the verses are different and unique, the pre-chorus is so effective (one of their best) and the chorus is beyond amazing! The double vocals during the chorus are a great feature, so are the keyboards. Nicko's drumming is great, Janick's solo is typical for him (I like it a lot). The instrumental part after the solo is brutal... ancient melodies. The outro is pretty awesome too. 10/10

The Writing On The Wall
-> the intro is atmospheric, great folky melodies, verses and pre-chorus. The chorus is good. Dave' solo is good, but Adrian's solo is amazing (one of his best). The triple-lead guitar harmony between the solos is pure gold! Janick's guitar fills in the outro are a nice addition too. 8/10

Lost In A Lost World
-> this song indeed has a big TXF vibe. Very different and a fantastic intro. The verses and the main riff are very good, the pre-chorus strangely comes abruptly, but it is not bad. The chorus is decent. The melodies are pure gold! Adrian's solo is good (as always). The outro is as good as the intro (with Janick playing little melody under it again). A lot of tempo changes. 7/10

Btw, I expected 3 solos for this song (Janick's one is missing).

Days Of Future Past -> cool melodies in the intro, awesome metal riff and melodic verses. The chorus is great too. The solo from Adrian is melodic and great, but it's too short - the middle calm part should have been replaced with more of the solo imo (or instead of the kinda unnecessary outro). This song also has a Bruce solo vibe. 10/10

The Time Machine
-> familiar intro, good and atmospheric. The verses are 50/50 for me (DOD vibe) and the chorus is cool (there's an acoustic guitar under it). The melodies are pure Janick and are awesome. The different verses after the melodies are great though (I wish these were the first verses too). Proggy middle part. 3 solos - I like Janick's one the most, Dave's one is good too. The outro is the same as the intro and it works really well for this song. 7/10

Darkest Hour
-> fantastic intro, amazing verses, great chorus. Adrian's solo is majestic, so melodic (one of his best), Dave's solo is killer too. Janick's guitar fills are an awesome feature. Long seagulls/waves outro. Beautiful ballad! Instant classic! One of the highlights of the album for sure. The Chemical Wedding vibe. 10/10

Death Of The Celts
-> VXI vibe. The whole vibe/atmosphere of the song is very medieval/Celtic - I quite like that. Great intro (as always), Bruce's singing is really good, very good verses and the chorus is pretty good and memorable. The ''Celtic'' melodies are amazing. The keyboards really fit in this song. Steve's bass playing is immense. All solos are very good. Adrian's 1st solo fits well - the part after it is great. Janick' solo is pretty good and Dave's solo is essential for him. Adrian's 2nd solo a is top too. After the 8 minute has a nice temp change with keyboards (very Clansman-esque). The outro is the same as the intro. The song has repetitions, but it is great. 9/10

The Parchment
-> Just wow! This feels like an instrumental. Love the mystic Egyptian vibe of the song. The intro is sinister - epic sound. Great riff (like most of the songs). The keyboards are really needed for this song. The verses are fantastic (love Janick's lead under them). Epic melodies throughout the song. 6 solos! (3 from Jan, 2 from H and 1 from Davey) - Janick 1st solo is short but sweet. The melody after it is brutal (BNW vibe). Dave's solo is his best on the album! Janick's 2nd solo is fitting. Adrian's 1st solo is with a great vibe and it fits well. The melody after the first round of solos is top-notch. The second verses are and the chorus are pretty good too. Bruce's long note around 9:30 minutes is epic (the culmination of the song)! The change of the tempo after it is one of the best things in the album. Janick's 3rd solo is his best on the album and one of his best solos ever. Adrian's 2nd solo is not bad (it goes well with the melody). Again, another tempo/riff after these two solos. I like that the outro is the same as the intro. So melodic song. One of the best in the album! 10/10

Hell On Earth
-> the best song in the album! The intro is pretty long but it is pure gold (BNW vibe). How many different (fantastic) melodies this song has... amazing! The main melodic riff with the gallop is beyond amazing! The melody after it is one of their best! Is this Maiden's most melodic song, seriously...
Bruce is the master of this song! ONE OF MAIDEN'S BEST CHORUSES EVER!!! - I wish it was repeated way more... the long outro could have been replaced with another necessary repeat of the chorus. All solos are good, especially Adrian's one. The calm part around 7 minutes is a cool feature, but the part after it (''Love in anger'') is one of Maiden's best/epic parts in a song! - I wish it was longer too. Sinister melodies after it.
Instant classic! One of Maiden's best epics! 10/10

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great album with amazing melodies, riffs, instrumental sections, vocals, guitars and choruses. Really strong album so late in their career! Amazing! There is a lot of variety. Janick's leads in the album is one thing I also would like to note! :notworthy:

Btw, this albums has songs with TXF/VXI vibe, Bruce solo albums vibe... I wouldn't mind a song with a IM/Killers or NPFTD/FOTD vibe too. ;)

Everyone is sat here comparing SJ to AMOLAD when AMOLAD is the worst reunion album... :cool:

I'd immediately rank it above AMOLAD but lower than TBOS and DOD. Wouldn't like to say where it is relative to BNW and TFF yet.

Live tracks: going to assume they play 6 of them, same as TBOS. In this case, my choices would be:

1) Senjutsu
2) Stratego
3) The Writing On The Wall
4) Days Of Future Past
5) The Darkest Hour
6) Hell On Earth

Everyone is sat here comparing SJ to AMOLAD when AMOLAD is the worst reunion album... :cool:

I'd immediately rank it above AMOLAD but lower than TBOS and DOD. Wouldn't like to say where it is relative to BNW and TFF yet.

Live tracks: going to assume they play 6 of them, same as TBOS. In this case, my choices would be:

1) Senjutsu
2) Stratego
3) The Writing On The Wall
4) Days Of Future Past
5) The Darkest Hour
6) Hell On Earth

Darkest Hour is too slow. The Parchment is too long. Probaly Time Machine or Death of The celts instead, even i dont like DOTC.

If i'd have to rank from favorite to least :

Hell on Earth
Days Of Future Past
Stratego
Senjutsu
Darkest Hour
The Time Machine
The Parchment
The Writing on the Wall
Death of the Celts
Lost in A Lost World
My ranking (so far):

Hell On Earth
Stratego
The Parchment
Darkest Hour
Senjutsu
Days Of Future Past
Death Of The Celts
Lost In A Lost World
The Writing On The Wall
The Time Machine (surprisingly for me)

Anyone else think the 2 min intro and extended outro on hell on earth are pointless tho and it would have been perfectly fine as a hard hitting 9 min song?
The intro is long, but it is pure gold! The outro should have been replaced with more repetition of the glorious chorus.

Darkest Hour is too slow. The Parchment is too long. Probaly Time Machine or Death of The celts instead, even i dont like DOTC.
Darkest Hour is my early pick for the best track on the album. The only way I'm removing that from my predictions is if Maiden themselves deconfirm it.

Wow, that was great. I was worried about 40+ minutes of pure Steve, but he delivered in spades.
Sure, there are some repetitious parts, I think I'd cut 1 repetitions of any riff that repeats 3 or more times, but overall most of it was fantastic.
The rest of the band and songs were killer. The production is fantastic, especially the drums and bass. I loved how they took us around the world.

my ranking so far :
1. Hell on earth
2. Days of future past
3, Stratego
4. Darkest Hour
5. The time machine
6. The parchment
7. Senjutsu
8. Death of the Celts
9. Lost in a lost world
10. The writing on the wall

Thoughts after two listens. Along with TBOS, this album is the best of the whole reunion era. Production wise it's a massive step in the right direction. Enormous. My only gripe is "Bruce is too low in the mix". Like others said, "Kevin is having hard time for finding mid range vocals the place in the mix." After listening to the music itself... Cover artwork and this whole "Japan Samurai" theme - doesn't fit at all. Albums lyrics and themes to me feels like a moments after the Great Battle, letters from the afterlife, like a saying goodbye. Cover artwork I imagine: after a great battle, Eddie is sitting next to the stone wall. He is wounded but calm, his armour is damaged and bent, maybe he is holding a spear. Album cover would benefit from choosing Albion isles vibe. Scottland, etc. Something along the lines of this:
Tunes_of_war.jpg
With standing Eddie as a wounded but prevailed, maybe ghostlike warrior, with one arm in the air, like you do, when You wave when saying goodbye.
Adrian clearly is creative force here. He tries different and new things. In songs Senjutsu, DOFP, DH I hear Bruce's solo material which is great. Janick, I feel, is trying to catch the wave and to write "Maidenish" songs. In such manner he is always one step behind (I hope You understand what I meant here) But I like his songs. Self referencing is clear, but I don't mind it.
At the end of the Parchment and at the begining of HOE - tears in my eyes. I am the one who disliked long Maiden intros in the past, but on this album they do fit, imo. Lost in a Lost World intro is one of the greatest things Maiden have ever done. Pink Floydish, yes, but different for Maiden and very welcomed. In fact I think the whole song should be 4-5 min ambient track (like Planet Caravan) It would create diversity and mood shift. Also I like LIALW lyrical topic. This song surprised me.
Steve's epics I like but sometimes he tries to cram too much ideas into one song. And... I somewhat miss choruses on those songs. Sometimes those feel like grand jam sessions. HOE musically is great.
Seaguls intro on DH - great. Song is great.
I will listen to the album more, to decide which songs I like the best. Overall, tracks are varied and not boring. Album is dark but to me is not depressing like AMOLAD was.
I don't know why, but I perceive this album like a some sort of goodbye.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back