Please post reviews and thoughts on Senjutsu here

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 15+ playthroughs I would rate songs close to this.

1. Senjutsu 8/10
2. Stratego 8/10
3. The Writing On The Wall 7/10
4. Lost In A Lost World 7/10
5. Days Of Future Past 8/10
6. The Time Machine 9/10
7. Darkest Hour 8/10
8. Death Of The Celts 9/10
9. The Parchment 10/10
10. Hell On Earth 10/10

i liked the album overall. it would be better off without the weird "time machine" and the pointless "death of the celts" . i didnt like, that i heard a bunch of old maiden songs here and there. i have listened to it only 5 times so i can t really point where is each, but i heard "edge of darkness".,"the unbeliever", "where the wild wind blows" (ok this is everywhere ) , even " i live my way " !!! here and there inside songs. the most annoying is the edge of darkness guitar melody on time machine. all the other songs are real masterpieces. oh and where are those bits where we'd go like "wait a minute ...is that iron maiden??? " . this is what bruce said . i didnt hear anything like that. also as my wife says , bigger isnt always better ....:p plz maiden write shorter songs for god's sake ! i think book of souls was better bacuseit had more shorter songs

Last edited:
i liked the album overall. it would be better off without the weird "time machine" and the pointless "death of the celts" . i didnt like, that i heard a bunch of old maiden songs here and there. i have listened to it only 5 times so i can t really point where is each, but i heard "edge of darkness".,"the unbeliever", "where the wild wind blows" (ok this is everywhere ) , even " i live my way " !!! here and there inside songs. the most annoying is the edge of darkness guitar melody on time machine. all the other songs are real masterpieces. oh and where are those bits where we'd go like "wait a minute ...is that iron maiden??? " . this is what bruce said . i didnt hear anything like that. also as my wife says , bigger isnt always better ....:p plz maiden write shorter songs for god's sake ! i think book of souls was better bacuseit had more shorter songs
i think time machine is great and fresh

I Just listened to It multiple times.
The Title Track Is a Surprise , Heavy and a bit doomy. I like It, not a masterpiece but solid, nice chorus.

I like Stratego a lot, finally a ballsy Song After so many years, my second favourite.

Not a fan of WOTW, i like the riff and overall Mood but I don't like the vocal Lines, especially the chorus ,I find It a bit weak.

LIALW reminds me of TXF especially in the big riff under the chorus. TXF Is my favourite album, but I don't think this Song Is as good as any of the 1995 masterpiece but it's ok .

DOTFP: shortest Song on the album, I find It a bit weak, I expected a much Better and anthemic chorus. Stratego works much Better as "short" track, by far.

TTM: I like It, but the weaker part to me Is the pre chorus. Not a Great song but a good One for sure

TDH: Is It me or It sound a bit like a doomy version of Wasting Love here and there? Still like It's good "ballad"

For Death Of The Celts Iexpected something like The Clansman by the reviews....we'll it's not and a bit repetitive, It lacks of a Great anthemic chorus. The Clansman Is miles above It.

The Parchment could be a bit shorter but It got some very good instrumental parts in It. The second half of the Song Is my favourite part. Good track, a bit too long IMHO as I said.

HOE has an incredible "crescendo" intro , I listened to It over and over, it's uplifting and epic . It's a fantastic Song, great melodies, the best Song on the album by far. The best Epic since the Clansman to me. I would love It ti be the only Epic on a album with shorter tracks, but this Is Maiden nowadays, like It or not. A beautiful way to end a good late career album. Not a masterpiece but there are at least two songs that I'm dire I Will listen for years.

7/10

Plenty of people have mentioned the Bruce solo CW vibes of some tracks. Especially Days of Future Past. I hear a British Lion vibe in some of Steve’s melodies. Especially the lovely and emotive outro to Lost in a Lost World. There’s a BL song that does something similar...

I am annoyed by some of the self plagiarism however. There were two instances on BOS but at least 5 on Senjutsu.

I’m still forming a full opinion but so far I’m really enjoying Senjutsu. Yes, this album feels like a goodbye to my ears, especially a personal goodbye perhaps from Steve. The final 30 minutes of this album blows Empire of the Clouds out of the water and that’s the way it should be - Steve should have the last word if this is their last album.

Hey guys. First SECOND post, longtime Maiden fan here and also an invisible forum reader since God knows

I think I have a time advantage compared to some here as I've been listening to "Senjutsu" since the first leak (I couldn't resist, I confess), but what I would really like to say is this:

Unexpectedly, last year (2020) Blue Oyster Cult presented us with "THE SYMBOL REMAINS" and I could hardly believe it. Their previous album was released in 2001!

Behold, Maiden surpassed BOC! Well, Maiden are certainly more active and I was counting on it for certain that the band would release something after the Book of Souls. But what I was hoping for was just that, "Book of Souls: Chapter 2", let's say.

It turns out that Senjutsu is VASTLY superior. How do I know this? I've listened to the record several times from start to finish without skipping any track and the desire to go back only increases.

I work from home and Senjutsu has already jumped to the top of the most listened to on my complex iTunes smart playlist. The album is phenomenal. The intros may be redundant to some; thing is they're beautiful. Even touching. So they don't bother me at all.

Except... the acoustic intro to "Time Machine" (which may very well be a purposeful reference to Talisman/Legacy as the song deals with Time Travel). Anyway, on Itunes you can choose the minute the song starts/ends, so it's not a problem... I put "Time Machine" to start right in the heavy part. Perfection. What a fun tune!!!

The wave sound effects at the beginning and end of "Darkest Hour" also seem too long to me...
Also, the quiet break in the middle of "Future Past" is a missed chance to repeat the riff.
And that's it.

Although I prefer to listen to a record like this from start to finish... I mentioned my playlists. This is a point I wanted to highlight. The real power of these songs becomes evident when faced with competition "out there."
When Senjutsu tracks pop up in the random rotation of one of my Metal/Progressive/HardRock playlist... OMG. It's devastating.

I know many prefer "the old Maiden". The truth is that there are exceptional bands doing Traditional Metal these days. (Just check out the "NWOTHM Full Albums" channel on Youtube). But Maiden's current style is almost a league of its own. Dream Theater or Fates Warning and so on, well they're great but not as eloquent.

I predict that Senjutsu will quickly dethrone classic records on many people's favorites list. Maybe next week already we'll see fans "coming out of the closet" to say loud and clear "Parchment is a better trip than To Tame a Land", just as an example.

10/10. Amazing Album. Start to finish.

The world is over... Eddie Remains!

Last edited:
Best chorus: Hell On Earth, Stratego, DOFP, Darkest Hour, Senjutsu and DOTC

Adrian's best solo: Darkest Hour, TWOTW, Senjutsu (his 2nd solo)
Dave's best solo: The Parchment
Janick's best solo: The Parchment (his 3rd solo)

Last edited:
Best chorus: Hell On Earth, Stratego, DOFP, Darkest Hour and DOTC

Adrian's best solo: Darkest Hour, TWOTW, Senjutsu (his 2nd solo)
Dave's best solo: The Parchment
Janick's best solo: The Parchment (his 3rd solo)
A good chorus in DOTC ?!!!

After 15+ playthroughs I would rate songs close to this.

1. Senjutsu 8/10
2. Stratego 8/10
3. The Writing On The Wall 7/10
5. Days Of Future Past 8/10
6. The Time Machine 9/10
7. Darkest Hour 8/10
8. Death Of The Celts 9/10
9. The Parchment 10/10
10. Hell On Earth 10/10
I'd go:

1. Senjutsu 8/10
2. Stratego 7.5/10
3. The Writing On The Wall 9/10
5. Days Of Future Past 9/10
6. The Time Machine 10/10
7. Darkest Hour 9.5/10
8. Death Of The Celts 8.5/10
9. The Parchment 10/10
10. Hell On Earth 10/10

Of course, it's stil too early to think about ratings, but after living 3 days with the album that's how I feel about them. The Parchment/Hell On Earth are a perfect way to end it, my god, 2 masterpieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back