Opeth

By Request, Part 1 - Orchid:

• Total voters
Read it today - sounds pretty awesome. Especially since they intend to represent every album and they don't have all that many "audience-pleasing" cuts on their early records that'd be overplayed to death (which would be my concern if Maiden did the same). Apart from - maybe - Demon.

My predictions:
Orchid - I think people are gonna pick In Mist? Personally I'd like Forest of October. Trolls will vote for Silhouette.
Morningrise - since the social media is crazy about the possibility of BRI being played live, it could actually finally happen (though I'd much rather see Night and Silent Water or TBYF)
MAYH - I think Demon is definitely gonna win
Still Life - hard to say, I'd guess most people will pick Melinda or The Moor. Would be awesome if they played Lament, though.
Blackwater Park - I think people are gonna pick the title track, definitely.
Deliverance - I think that the title track is gonna win, overplayed as it is live. Would be cool if they picked BTPISIO, but that one's hardly a favourite
Damnation - hard to say, I'd guess people would flock either to some of the "poppier" cuts (Lullaby, Time of Need) or possibly something like Hope Leaves
Ghost Reveries - I'd say the fans are gonna pick Ghost of Perdition, posssibly Harlequin Forest as a surprise swing vote. I'd love to see the latter or Hounds, but those won't definitely be picked.
Watershed - Here it gets interesting... I think many might pick Lotus for the sheer novelty value. That or Hessian Peel, I suspect.
Heritage - Devil's Orchard, I presume. Folklore would be better, though.
Pale Communion - Considering the general popularity of Cusp of Eternity (which I don't entirely get), I think this one gets picked. But Moon Above deserves to win.
Sorceress - My guess is as good as yours in this one. The reasonable fans will probably vote for Era, some might pick Will o the Wisp (which is about the only Peth song I hate)... I would definitely vote for Strange Brew, but I don't think many will.
ICV - Probably one of the singles, I guess.

Orchid - I really don't care about this album, but Under The Weeping Moon, I guess. Or Forest Of October, as the show is in October.

Morningrise - Advent is the best song on the album, but I already heard it. The Night & The Silent Water is 2nd best, but I really want Mikael to have to practice Black Rose Immortal as punishment for Heritage.

My Arms, Your Hearse - I already heard Demon Of The Fall, so April Ethereal.

Still Life - Whatever they play from this album, I'll be satisfied. Although really hoping it's not a cop out like Benighted. I already heard Godhead's Lament, so preferably not that one. I'll vote for Moonlapse Vertigo as it's my favorite.

Blackwater Park - Blackwater Park. I'd be fine if Bleak won. Just hoping The Leper Affinity doesn't win as I already heard it twice.

Deliverance - Title track will win. I will vote for By The Pain I See In Others, but I'd also be fine if Wreath won.

Damnation - Already heard To Rid The Disease and Hope Leaves. I'll vote for In My Time Of Need, but I'd be fine if Windowpane won too.

Ghost Reveries - Ghost Of Perdition blows, there I said it. Already heard The Grand Conjuration and Harlequin Forest, so I'm gonna vote for Beneath The Mire. Isolation Years would be fine too, I just want Mikael to suffer with having to growl all night long.

Watershed - I've gained new appreciation for this album, because last two are really bad. I want them to play Burden, although I'd be fine with Hex Omega too, or even Porcelain Heart. Heard Heir Apparent and The Lotus Eater (2x) and I'm hoping none of these two are chosen, and also Hessian Peel. Those are the only three songs on the album with growls and they are super forced so I don't really like them that much.

Heritage - Heard The Devil's Orchard twice. Gonna vote for The Lines In My Hand even though I also heard it live; it's way better live so this is the best chance to get a proper live version of it as I presume they'll make a live album out of these shows. I doubt Face In The Snow gets in the poll as it's a bonus song, otherwise it'd be my first choice.

Pale Communion - Faith In Others is the best song not to get played live, and I've heard Eternal Rains, Cusp, Moon Above, Elysian Woes and Voice Of Treason already. Wow, that's 5 songs...

Sorceress - God, this album blows. Strange Brew because it's the longest song. Spring MCMLXXIV if they allow bonuses. Probably gonna be the annoying title track.

In Cauda Venenum - I already heard it in Swedish, so do All Things Will Pass in English. Or Continuum so that they have to play 3 bass guitars. Otherwise this album is boooooring and bad.

Cool news, I wonder if this will be worth attempting to see. My last Opeth experience was somewhat meh, but a lot of that was due to a somewhat stale setlist. I definitely think this will be the last time we hear songs from the early albums, and probably a lot of middle period material as well. Mikey can’t growl anymore and they clearly don’t enjoy playing that stuff live. Mark my words, the metal stuff is going to leave the setlists sooner than we might think.

With that being said, I’m mostly curious about the earlier material that gets selected. It’s all rare enough that anything will be a welcome addition. A lot of stuff from later on is either played pretty frequently or there have already been some special shows where they played the entire albums, so not as many in played tunes. The by request aspect is interesting, I expect a couple real shockers but also wouldn’t be surprised if we end up with a greatest hits of sorts. I tend to think that bands get stuck in setlist boxes because the fans mostly want those songs and folks like us whining on the internet are a minority. Either way, hope there’s an unspoken rule of no songs from the 10th anniversary concerts.

Anyway, here’s my picks:

Orchid: In Mist She Was Standing seems like the obvious pick to me and is probably my personal choice as well. Forest of October is always a good pick, but they played it on the 10th anniversary show so I’d rather see them go for something else.

Morningrise: Advent is the best song, but again they did that already. It has to be Black Rose Immortal right? I can’t imagine the fans picking anything else. Unless there are shenanigans/they ignore the fan vote, I’m guessing we’re going to hear this song live. I’d probably rather hear Nectar though.

My Arms Your Hearse: This seems like an area where the greatest hit will win, so Demon of the Fall. My pick is When, it’s a great classic-sounding Opeth song and is rare.

Still Life: this is an interesting one, choose wisely Opeth fans! This will probably be the last chance to hear a Still Life deep cut. I think Serenity Painted Death would be a nice curveball, I also love Godhead’s Lament. Gonna guess we end up with The Moor or Face of Melinda.

Blackwater Park: A less important choice since this album is pretty well represented live already. Maybe The Drapery Falls? Will probably be the title track, which is always fantastic live.

Deliverance: I’m going against the grain and predicting A Fair Judgment. I would personally like Masters Apprentices.

Damnation: I want To Rid the Disease. I expect something like Windowpane or In My Time of Need

Ghost Reveries: it’s either going to be Harlequin Forest or Ghost of Perdition. I want Baying of the Hounds. Even Beneath the Mire would be cool.

Watershed: I want Hessian Peel and think it has a decent chance. If not, Lotus Eater.

Heritage: Nepenthe would be fun. I think the fan vote is going to be so all over the place on this one that we’ll end up with The Devils Orchard, which is a good pick anyway.

Pale Communion: I predict Eternal Rains, would like to see River or even Goblin.

Sorceress: Era. Chrysalis would be cool live though.

Don’t care about the recent album, pick one out of Mikael’s cowboy hat.

Don’t care about the recent album, pick one out of Mikael’s cowboy hat.
lol

Morningrise: Advent is the best song, but again they did that already. It has to be Black Rose Immortal right? I can’t imagine the fans picking anything else. Unless there are shenanigans/they ignore the fan vote, I’m guessing we’re going to hear this song live. I’d probably rather hear Nectar though.
I'll be really surprised if it's not BRI. Maybe Mikael hires a certain someone whose name starts with F to create a fake account bot army to vote for Nectar though.

Someone must’ve told him that if he did a by request set he’d have to play Black Rose Immortal right?

If this is to be believed

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...ys_demand_us_to_play_its_20_minutes_long.html

they've been playing with that idea anyway. And it makes sense, people demand it, it's a meme of sorts, I think they all take that more as a possible challenge pro futuro. Never thought that hearing that song live was impossible, in fact I always thought it was more probable than AtG for Maiden.

I'm not really a fan (the disjointed nature of early Opeth shines here the most, apart from maybe the Latin intro to Apostle - you decide which is more glaring), at least such a huge fan - my wish would be to see that incredible Godhead's Lament riff live instead (you know, the 1:44 one), but maybe this is also an elegant way to get it off their chests.

It’s definitely more probably than ATG just because Opeth is more open to playing rare/unheard songs.

I do think the biggest obstacle has always been the length of the song. it’s also more about the novelty of them playing it live than anything else, since the song isn’t very good.

Opeth are pleased to announce the first shows celebrating their 30th Anniversary! For now the "Evolution XXX 'By Request' Tour" sees 8 exclusive shows next year October with more show to be added in due time. You guys can vote which songs you would like to hear from the band's long career and determine the final set list.

Mike explains:
”So, we’re planning to celebrate a belated band-birthday, also known as BBB. How do we celebrate a thing like this, you ask? Well, we go to work. We are planning a very few select shows in 2021 where you basically have the collective choice of picking the songs for the setlist. Since we celebrate 30 years we would love to play a song from each album we’ve done. All 13 of them. If you can help us and pick your choice of one song per album from the list, and then we’ll simply play the songs with the most votes. It’s been done before, but not by us. I am reluctant and nervous, but also excited to see what songs you will choose. I can’t really believe we’ve been around for 30 years, but there you go. So please help us. And be gentle. The final setlist will have 13 songs. One from each album. Your call….”

- Mikael Akerfeldt on behalf of Opeth.

View attachment 12775

Can't friggin' wait. Unique opportunity to hear something from the first 4 albums, maybe one of the last opportunities ever. @Forostar

I’m gonna be really pissed if this is Europe only.

My choices:

1. Twilight Is My Robe
2. To Bid You Farewell
3. Karma (or Demon of the Fall)
4. Benighted or The Moor
5. Bleak or Drapery Falls
6. Deliverance
7. Windowpane
8. Ghost of Perdition
9. Heir Apparent
10. Folklore
11. River
12. Eh, Sorceress?
13. The Garroter

What we’ll get:

1. In Mist She Was Standing
2. Black Rose Immortal
3. Demon of the Fall
4. The Moor
5. Blackwater Park
6. Deliverance
7. Windowpane
8. Ghost of Perdition
9. The Lotus Eater
10. The Devil’s Orchard
11. Cusp of Eternity
12. Sorceress
13. Heart in Hand

Last edited:
I'm sure they'll announce some NA dates once situation clears up with corona and the protests/elections.

Either they will drop all the stuff with growls by then, or they'll have to hire someone to growl instead of Mikael. I would prefer the latter tbh.

Now is the perfect time to do either of those things. The anniversary shows can be a send off for those songs entirely or for Mikael as the growler.

social media is crazy about the possibility of BRI being played live
I really want Mikael to have to practice Black Rose Immortal
It has to be Black Rose Immortal right?
I'll be really surprised if it's not BRI.
if he did a by request set he’d have to play Black Rose Immortal right?
2. Black Rose Immortal
Alright, I know what Opeth album (and song) I'm listening to next!

Although...
It's an overlong bloated mess.
Yeah, I'll just have to decide that for myself.

I mean, sure listen to the earlier stuff but also understand that, for better or worse, it’s different than what they did later. Morningrise is a good album, probably my favorite of the original 3.

Just for fun, I opened up a poll that I will update every 2 weeks or so. Vote for the song you wanna hear on this tour from each album. Eventually we will have a final setlist and we can see how our collective MaidenFans opinion lines up with the actual setlist.

Back