Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Re: Discussion thread for Final Frontier/El Dorado single

LooseCannon said:
This song, I am betting any money, will be credited Harris/Gers/Dickinson.

The guitars are very Jan, the bass is all Steve, and the lyrics are completely Bruce.

Agree with this breakdown entirely.

Im still not too sure what to make of el dorado... while parts of it i love and can feel myself going with it theres just so many stop and starts in the pace that just when i start to enjoy it it changes. also the beginning doesnt seem too maiden for me.    :S
bruce's vocals dont bother me too much as its another of them quieter songs as opposed to the loud brash the longest day kind of songs i like so ill put up with that, i just wish el dorado wouldnt lure me into a break in pace and leave me wondering why bruce didnt fly out with a huge vocal rape on my ears. in that way it let me down.
<_<    however it is growing on me but i cant see it being one of those songs ill still remember after the rest of TFF... or atleast i hope

Either way on the positive its a good song just not exactly what i look for in one of my favourites
i prefer the war themed like 'the longest day' 'paschendale' they get me all patriotic
bring on 16th August :yey:

Been through the song quite a few times now & I must say it's getting better and better!
Sounds like a great mixture of classic Maiden & something fresh!
Gotta love that bass & I'm really looking forward to hearing this song live in a few weeks at Wacken.

Anyone else had to think of "Hit the lights" on the first seconds?

I also love the artwork & I'm happy that the red Maiden-Logo is back!
The lenght of the songs is also on the upside for me.

MAIDEN!!!!!!!!!

The pre-solo part reminds me of a part from Tailgunner and the first solo reminds me of one of the solos from The Nomad, but without sounding like they are ripped off from those earlier songs.

I must say I think the chorus has great singalong potential - also glad they have omitted this "whooaooh" thing they have used to death. It was great in Children of the Damned, it was taken to a new level on Heaven Can Wait, but come Fortunes of War it had already started to become worn out. Especially since concert going fans had added their own to Fear Of The Dark.

(If 'Arry ever reads this he'll probably add such a part to the 11 min epic if he hasn't already  :innocent:)

Blackened said:

When you mention it ... yes!

Blackened said:

Absolutely.  Janick's solo also sounds like his solo in BTATS, and the chorus sounds like it could come from The Chemical Wedding, though I don't think it actually copies any song.  The bass reminds me of the middle "crowd" part of Sanctuary from Rock in Rio.  But despite these, the song feels totally new and fresh. :)

I love the music.

Not that keen on the excessive "talk-singing" or the lyrics though.

Oh, and the vocals in the chorus reminds me a lot of "The Magician".

yh, i think its grown on me now even if i do wish bruce would belt out some epic at certain parts, maybe if i listen enough itll happen  ::)
after a thorough listen though it is something truly special  :wub:... i listened through a song from each album then came to this and realised that el dorado seems relevant to all of it, seems like theyve coallesed (probably misspelt) great factors from across the board and it certainly catches on quickly

Eddies Wingman said:
I must say I think the chorus has great singalong potential
i agree completely
nice to just enjoy something hot off the press

Seriously, it's pretty tiresome seeing the same process repeated every time Maiden release something new, with all the fanboiz jumping out and saying OMG their best ever!

I can't say I don't like the song, but it's hardly a standout track. 

Let's put it like this: If Eldorado is a highlight on the album, I'll be deeply disappointed.
If, however, it's one of the weaker tracks, it would propbably mean a great album.

This song oozes 1980's!!! More than any of the last 3 albums, yet stiil, it sounds new! The way Bruce sings feels like the way he did on Flash Of The Blade, Powerslave and Trumpets Of Jericho verses - menacing and sarcastic. The lyrics play a large role on the way he sings it. Man, if you like Metal, you got to like this song. Just feel it!

It's not their best ever, but that's not how to approach something. The more I read the comments on the forums, the more I doubt if people really know what Maiden's about and want they actually want the band to come up with - people were always screaming that a nod to Bruce solo career sound would be great, now that it has, people are not happy. How miserable are some people' life, ahn? Don't get happy even with what they claim to love so much! It's a pity! Sounds sounds like those annoying kids screaming and yelling on the shopping mall for a gift when he was already bought 5 or 6 and didn't even started playing with 'em.

This song is a Smith/Harris/Dickinson creation, I feel.

Satellite 15 (album 15), the Final Frontier? It all sounds really ominous to me.

When the Wild Wind blows is going to be awesome, I just know it. I just hope the lyrics don't basically say, "We've been Iron Maiden, thanks for listening"

Jeffmetal said:
The more I read the comments on the forums, the more I doubt if people really know what Maiden's about and want they actually want the band to come up with - people were always screaming that a nod to Bruce solo career sound would be great, now that it has, people are not happy. How miserable are some people' life, ahn? Don't get happy even with what they claim to love so much! It's a pity! Sounds sounds like those annoying kids screaming and yelling on the shopping mall for a gift when he was already bought 5 or 6 and didn't even started playing with 'em.

Jeff, you need to learn that everyone has his own opinion, just let them man. You, me, others enjoy it, we're not going to let others spoil our fun. :)

By the way, for me this song is a grower. It lacks catchy melodies, but it has some exciting moments such as the bridges and I really dig the instrumental section. Check out those heavy riffs before H kicks in his solo. That's a bit new. Really cool, the more I play it.

Jeffmetal said:
This song is a Smith/Harris/Dickinson creation, I feel.

Me too, I also feel some Smith touch. Third possibility: Harris/Dickinson

I'm with Foro's third prediction a Harris/Dickinson. I really don't think this is a Gers song - too long for some of the short rockers he's written (LotF, BQoBD, The Pilgrim) and not acoustic/no quiet parts like on his longer songs (DoM, DoD, The Legacy).

Jeffmetal said:
It's not their best ever, but that's not how to approach something. The more I read the comments on the forums, the more I doubt if people really know what Maiden's about and want they actually want the band to come up with - people were always screaming that a nod to Bruce solo career sound would be great, now that it has, people are not happy. How miserable are some people' life, ahn? Don't get happy even with what they claim to love so much! It's a pity! Sounds sounds like those annoying kids screaming and yelling on the shopping mall for a gift when he was already bought 5 or 6 and didn't even started playing with 'em.

:lol:
I don't know who wanted Maiden to sound like Bruce's solo career, but it certainly wasn't me. Bruce's stuff should always be seperate, its a completely different style and approach to writing songs. I love it but I don't listen to Maiden for it.

I echo the sentiments above, if this is the best song on the album, it will be very disappointing. If its the worst/average song, then it should be a great album. I'm rather optimistic that we will get more of the same but far better, especially looking at the length of the songs.

I definitely don't hate this song, but I don't think its fantastic. Its just average with a slight bit of unimpressive lyrics/vocals. I don't want to say the vocals or the lyrics outright suck, but they just don't fit for me anyway.

The new song - not bad, not bad at all. Yeah, there are better songs (especially on AMOLAD or The X Factor according to my tastes), but still good and getting better after each listen. That is a good sign, because I have an experience that true masterpieces are discovered after multiple listens. Well, now we have to wait for the full album, but if other songs will be at least as good as El Dorado, I'm not afraid to spend my money. Maybe it could be a bit shorter, the song, too much singing to my tastes :) And funny how many other songs can be heard in this one :)

Play Classics! said:
Seriously, it's pretty tiresome seeing the same process repeated every time Maiden release something new, with all the fanboiz jumping out and saying OMG their best ever!

Yes, this forum is clearly full of "fanboiz".  I, meanwhile, am disinclined to trust your neutrality, based on your username.  I would guess Maiden feels the same way.  But of course, we're fanboiz, so we can't possibly be taken seriously; we like AMOLAD and everything.  80s Maiden, that's what it's all about, everyone who likes something after that is a "fanboi".  

If you find it's tiresome to hear people praise and discuss music that they like, then perhaps this forum is not the best place for you.  Maybe you can start your own blog or something where you can diss fanboiz and new Maiden.  Go on, we won't miss you.

To the rest of you... sorry for being off topic and aggressive.  It just gets my blood boiling to see a newbie come to the forum and insult 90% of the regular forum members.

gulranek said:
Plus, here's a proposal: Why doesn't the admin (or the mods) open up a new subforum in the commentary section dedicated to The Final Frontier so we could discuss the new song there?

Because the moderators don't have admin rights. We can't create new subforums. The only admin is the site owner, who almost never appears here. This is a forum without an admin; us mods are doing the best we can.

Up the Irons from sunny Southern California.  10 days til... Scream for me San Bernardino!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, RW is still an admin. He is also not very often here.

OK, everyone take a step back from the n00b. They are entitled to their opinions as well.

Am I the only one who thinks the vocals are a tad quiet? Maybe it's just because he's not belting like on AMOLAD (which I loved btw), but I hope it's not trying to hide a deteriorating voice... :S

I'll give it some more listens before I'll really try to decide whether he's losing his voice.

Also, I'd like to add that so far this album is shaping up to be like Brave New World with a Somewhere in Time twist (at least I think so).

Suicidehummer said:
Am I the only one who thinks the vocals are a tad quiet? Maybe it's just because he's not belting like on AMOLAD (which I loved btw), but I hope it's not trying to hide a deteriorating voice... :S

I'll give it some more listens before I'll really try to decide whether he's losing his voice.

Also, I'd like to add that so far this album is shaping up to be like Brave New World with a Somewhere in Time twist (at least I think so).
The Vocals have grown on me. They sound pretty normal for Bruce now but initially I thought he was growlier than normal.

Back