Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Re: Discussion thread for Final Frontier/El Dorado single

Mega said:
I'm not sure right now about the names of song 1 and songs 9 and 10.
The first because it's a dual title thing, like megadeth, they never did that.
Not that I care, but sattelite 15? Unless they mean some sort of a moon or something, sounds pretty weak.
Oh wait, it could be the spaceship on the cover. Nevermind that.
9 and 10 just don't really feel epic. Also, isn't 9 a part from Revelations?

15 = number of this album.  This isn't new; The X Factor: X = 10th album, Virtual XI, XI = 11th album.  I don't know what satellite refers to, but 15 is no random number.  Satellite could refer to a planet or a moon , I'm more inclined that it refers to those than a human-built satellite.  

9 is very close to Revelations, with "man" replaced with "one".  Remember, Revelations is Bruce lyrics, so the song is almost certainly written by Bruce, or at least the lyrics.  Overall, the new song and many of the song titles scream Bruce Dickinson to me, which makes me think Steve gave the others more leeway than usual in writing. The new song also feels very little like AMOLAD or the 2000s stuff (which Steve has had a very heavy influence on), so I'm very inclined to believe that it doesn't even have a Steve co-write.  Like Donner said, many of the reunion era songs are very "serious", and this trend began already with The X Factor, which in turn reflected Steve's difficulties in life.  This album might be more cheerful.  We'll know once the album comes out, but here's me guessing that there won't be as many Steve co-writes as usual.

Help! I haven't heard El Dorado yet, what are your reviews of it? Any lyrics for it yet?

"Satellite 15... The Final Frontier" is SCREAMING like Megadeth right now, and that's good, Megadeth is my 2nd favourite band behind Maiden. :yey:
As I'm continuing to listen to El Dorado, the main riff is really growing on me, but I think the outro is a little unnecessary.

I'm working on the pre-solos right now.
Even if I make the effort to write tabs, I won't be the first to post them, so what's the point ;)

EDIT:
Got it, I can play the entire song, minus the solos.
If anyone's interested, The solos go A, E and then B, all minor and all phrygian.
It's so awesome to improvise on <3

Hi all,

saw earlier in the thread someone asked about the single art, so i thought i'd just fill in a few details. I did the cover work for it and its based on the pulp sci-fi comics of the 50's and 60's, in keeping with the space theme. We tried to get across those old american comics when ufo's/aliens and outer worlds were all the rage.

Just thought i'd clear that up as a few people over various forums have been a bit confused although liking it.  :)

Thanks for all the positive responses its much appreciated, hope you all enjoy the forthcoming album.

Cheers

Ant

Sadly, I think they have reached a new low with the album cover artwork. Sorry Melvyn Grant...but you just didn't get it.
Eddie is NOT eddie. This whole digital painting thing is lame. Its actually worse (possibly) then Virtual X1 (also Melvyn Grant and also not Eddie)
Damn it, they should have gone with Tim Bradstreet from AMOLAD. <_<

I actually much prefer the single cover...and this graphic styling could have really worked/been different for the album cover.

There are a lot of lifts, or unoriginality in the album cover. Giant spine, lumbering figure (like the abomination from the recent incredible hulk movie)
Eddies head (alien, predator, random, take your pic)
Skeletons in the foreground (AMOLAD) Graphic eddie with crossed weapon symbol (also AMOLAD)  :nonono:
Damnit! anyway.

Well, I've listened to El-Dorado about 4 times now. Its good, but not great.
I am excited by the song titles and the length of them. They seem to be continuing down the epicy road.
I wonder will any of them be an instrumental? I can only hope.

Ahh! just saw your post Ant.

I wish they got you to do the album cover...I reckon the direction you took would have been great.
Damn good job on the single cover. I hope they work with you again.

Ant1975uk said:
Hi all,

saw earlier in the thread someone asked about the single art, so i thought i'd just fill in a few details. I did the cover work for it and its based on the pulp sci-fi comics of the 50's and 60's, in keeping with the space theme. We tried to get across those old american comics when ufo's/aliens and outer worlds were all the rage.

Just thought i'd clear that up as a few people over various forums have been a bit confused although liking it.  :)

Thanks for all the positive responses its much appreciated, hope you all enjoy the forthcoming album.

Cheers

Ant

Awesome! It's great cover art. I wouldn't have thought they'd have gone down that road but it works really well. The whole concept and theme is great!

Jonszat said:
Awesome! It's great cover art. I wouldn't have thought they'd have gone down that road but it works really well. The whole concept and theme is great!

Cheers mate im really happy people like it!

Out of interest, who chose the lyrics to go on the cover - you or the band?

Jonszat said:
Out of interest, who chose the lyrics to go on the cover - you or the band?

Im  not entirely sure to be honest. It deffo wasnt me, they were given. So i suppose it could have come from them directly. I think they suit the nature of the cover though, they are kinda comic book speechy!

Ant1975uk said:
Im  not entirely sure to be honest. It deffo wasnt me, they were given. So i suppose it could have come from them directly. I think they suit the nature of the cover though, they are kinda comic book speechy!

Its a great cover! Well done!!!

At first I thought the cover was a joke someone had come up with, but I see it really is real now.  It's not my favourite, though it has a certain humour and edge to it.  Nothing wrong with it per se, it's just a bit un-Maideny so I guess that's what shocked me.

I wait to listen all the album, but my favourite album it's still Powerslave.

The Man Who Would Be King is an awesome John Houston film with Sean Connery & Michael Cane. Awesome.
The subject of the film is Alexander The Great, somewhere in (modern) time(s)
Which connects The Final Frontier even more with Somewhere In Time.

The_Man_Who_Would_Be_King_XL.jpg

The more I listen to El Dorado the more I realize this is a total Steve song. It's tailor made for him to stand up front, bob his head and point the bass out at the crowd.

"the more I listen to El Dorado the more I realize this is a total Steve song. It's tailor made for him to stand up front, bob his head and point the bass out at the crowd."

Yea! the more I listen also, the more I like it. But you can hear the signature style of Steve in some of those bridges.
I was wondering about the recording and production...judging from the song, the production sounds almost EXACTLY like AMOLAD. Now I know
Kevin Shirley is producing it, but has it made any difference at all with the fact that it was recorded at Compass Point?

A lot of stuff was written, here's my 5 cents:

- very much dislike the crash&burn intro and outro (together with the Wasted Years tapping)
- Bruce's verse singing style reminds me of Confeos from Chemical Wedding, don't like it very much either, sounds
- the chorus is cool
- solos are typical H, Dave & Jan, no confusing them
- all in all, a mediocre song, but at least I'm glad it's a rocker, not another Breeg plodder or the third installment in the "live your life to the fullest" series (currently consisting of Wildest Dreams and Different World)

As for the album cover, I think that the comic book style of El Dorado looks much better. Kudos to Ant1975uk.

Plus, here's a proposal: Why doesn't the admin (or the mods) open up a new subforum in the commentary section dedicated to The Final Frontier so we could discuss the new song there?

I like the riff n melodies structure of the song.I think they could have done better with the vocal melodies but still it is good the way it is.It gets better every time I listen to it.

OMG August 16nth is still far...

This song, I am betting any money, will be credited Harris/Gers/Dickinson.

The guitars are very Jan, the bass is all Steve, and the lyrics are completely Bruce.

On my 3rd listen now and I'm loving it!

The opening was really unexpected, and I REALLY like the punchy ending (they've done the ''fading out'' ending to often now :))

Back