Official Tennis thread

Nadal makes quick work of Thiem for French Open #11.

The last six slams: Federer-Nadal-Federer-Nadal-Federer-Nadal. Truly remarkable.

Federer out at Wimbledon. He lost a grueling match to Kevin Anderson in the quarterfinals that ended at 13-11 in the 5th set.

The Nadal-Djokovic semifinal should be a good one. I'd be shocked if the winner of that one doesn't go on to win the championship.

Yeah looking forward to the Nadal Djokovic semi, does really feel like the final now. Not a big Federer fan, but would have been good to see him in the final against either Nadal or Djokovic.

Angelique Kerber just swept Serena Williams aside 6-3 6-3. I'm glad that Kerber won but it was a bit of a non-event from what I saw. Williams just didn't turn up which is very unlike her.

I bet Williams really does not want to stop before she will be the (shared) number one in this list:

Most Grand Slam tournament singles titles

Rank/Player/Total/Australian Open/French Open/Wimbledon/US Open
23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png
Margaret Court 24 11 5 3 5
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
Serena Williams 23 7 3 7 6
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
Steffi Graf 22 4 6 7 5

I think it was racist and sexist to confuse Serena and Venus Williams. Typical white male assumptions!

Last edited:
So Andy Murray announced that he will be retiring after Wimbledon this year. He's only 31 years old, too. I guess the chronic pain and injuries just got to be too much.

He's had a hell of a career, but you can't help but wonder what could have been if only he played in a different era.

He ran into a period dominated by possibly the two best men's tennis players of all time, and spent much of it as #3. That's nothing to be ashamed of.

Watched his match this morning, really enjoyed it, he certainly showed his fighting spirit, but unfortunately the hip is restricting his movement so he can’t play to his optimum level. Probably best he lost in the end, as he’d have probably struggled to be ready for the next round after todays exertions.

He did offer a glimmer of hope that another operation might allow him to return to full fitness, though it appears the likelyhood is that it will only be enough to improve his day to day living and not allow him to perform as a professional athlete.

Obviously he doesn’t see it this way, but I tell you what, I’d love to have been able to retire at 31 ...

Back