Official Tennis thread

Our girl Pironkova gets to quarterfinals after a three-year hiatus and having a baby. No official games prior to the US Open at all.
She's playing against Serena next, so it's going to end there for her, but still - an impressive performance.

Death. Taxes. Rafael Nadal winning the French Open.

Nadal rolls through Djokovic in 3 sets to win his 13th French Open title. He has now tied Federer with 20 major wins and his overall record in matches at Roland Garros is a remarkable 100 - 2 (!)

It's not hard to imiagine that Nadal could wind up with the most Major championships, especially because it's very likely that he'll win at least a few more French Opens before he calls it quits for good.

Djokovic just accomplished one of the most difficult feats in all of sports ... beating Rafael Nadal in a match at Roland Garros. It was a seriously amazing match, the quality of play by both players was through the roof.

Now Djokovic will advance to face Stefanos Tsitsipas in the Final, with a chance at a multi-slam, that is, winning each Grand Slam event multiple times. Something that neither Federer nor Nadal has done.

He could also reach Grand Slam no. 19.... coming mighty close to Federer and Nadal (both 20).
Looking at his age, there is a big chance he will end up with more Grand Slams than these two, in the end, but I guess I rather do not see it happen (yet).

Djokovic did it. The third man with a multi slam, the first since 1969, the first to win them all in the open era, and now at 19 grandslams... breathing heavily in Federer's and Nadal's necks.

Women multi slam winners:

Men multi slam winners. Emerson and Laver were the only two men who did this, in 1966 and 1969 respectively.

What an amazing tennis player Steffi Graf was!

Whenever I see her name I cannot help but think about Hugh Laurie though.

Nadal conquers Medvedev, wining his 2nd career Australian Open, and securing a multi slam of his own!

Nadal now takes the lead with 21 Slams, surpassing both Federer and Djokovic by one.

Last edited:
Death. Taxes. Rafael Nadal winning the French Open.
And he did it again. This time against one of his "students", Casper Ruud who reached his first Grand Slam final and perhaps seemed to be a bit overwhelmed by the occasion.

Ruud's journey into the top 10 has seen tennis gain more attention in Norway, of course. We haven't been spoiled by a lot of success in this sport, and in modern times the only player close to this level was Ruud's father, who peaked at 39th in the ATP ranking and never got past 4th round in a GS (Australian Open 1997).

However, as @Forostar reminded me, and as Norwegian media also brought up in the last days before the RG final, there is one Norwegian who has had success in tennis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molla_Mallory

Throughout her career she won the US Open eight times, the last one in 1926. @Forostar - you wondered why she isn't that well known in Norway and I must admit I wondered the same when I first became aware of her. I can only think of this: Her success happened exclusively in the US, i.e. after she had emigrated from Norway, and this in a time where news coverage was less dense than today. Combine it with her best years coinciding with World War 1 and the fact tennis was not a particularly popular sport here at the time, unlike e.g. speed skating. In fact I read that Ulrikke Eikeri (Norway's best currently active female tennis player) was not all that familiar with Mallory's career.

Anyway. It is cool that we now,, for the first time in the modern era, have a player close to the top level.

There's no shame in losing to Nadal at Roland Garros, that's for sure!

I'll be honest, I've never even heard of Casper Ruud until about a week ago, but watching him in the later rounds of the tournament has made me a fan. He seems like a very down-to-earth and likable guy; I'm going to make sure to keep following him going forward.

Watching the Alcaraz-Sinner match right now, and it's ridiculous. The match has been going on for over 4 1/2 hours already, with the 5th set having just started. It's after 2:00 am local time in NY. :lol:

Surprisingly, the quality of play is still extremely high.

Back