Official Tennis thread

This tournament has really made me a fan of Frances Tiafoe. He's knocked off some big time opponents in impressive fashion to reach the quarter finals. I really love his enthusiasm and his NBA-themed celebrations after every win. :bigsmile:

In other news, I'm currently watching the Roger Federer - Stefanos Tsitsipas match. In the 2nd set right now. I've never watched Tsitsipas play before, but I'm very impressed. The first set was extremely high-quality.

Hopefully this guy will be able to break the Federer/Nadal/Djokovic stranglehold on the Grand Slams. Those three are incredible sportsmen but Tennis needs some variety.

Nadal dominates his way all the way to the Final. Tsitsipas never stood a chance. Djokovic winning his semi is all but inevitable, setting up another clash of the titans.

If Djokovic would win the Australian Open he'd have more Grand Slam titles than Pete Sampras....
.... and he would be the stand alone record holder of 7 Australian Open titles.

Overview of men with most Grand Slam singles titles:

Player / Total / Australian Open / Roland Garros / Wimbledon / US Open
Roger Federer 20 6 1 8 5
Rafael Nadal 17 1 11 2 3
Novak Djokovic 14 6 1 4 3
Pete Sampras 14 2 0 7 5
Roy Emerson 12 6 2 2 2
Rod Laver 11 3 2 4 2
Björn Borg 11 0 6 5 0

List of Australian Open men's singles champions:

Player / Amateur Era / Open Era / All-time / Years
23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png
Roy Emerson (AUS) 6 0 6 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967
15px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png
Roger Federer (SUI) 0 6 6 2004, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2017, 2018
23px-Flag_of_Serbia.svg.png
Novak Djokovic (SRB ) 0 6 6 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016
Jack Crawford (AUS) 4 0 4 1931, 1932, 1933, 1935
Ken Rosewall (AUS) 2 2 4 1953, 1955, 1971, 1972
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
Andre Agassi (USA) 0 4 4 1995, 2000, 2001, 2003

Last edited:
I hope Nadal will win so he can get a Multi-Slam. That is, have multiple titles at each Grand Slam event. Something that Federer and Djokovic don't have as they each only have one French Open title.

Either way, with the way they've both been dominating the whole tournament, it should be a really great match.

At the moment Osaka is ahead in the final set vs Kvitová.

Bah, Osaka must have the most arrogant expression that has ever "graced" the tennis court. Looking at that face for some minutes makes me want her to lose.

Osaka is now the first woman since 2001 (Capriati won AO and RG in 2001 ) winning two Grand Slams in a row, with the first of these being a debut Grand Slam.

Also, Osaka is the first number one in this sport with Japanese nationality.

A bullshit insinuation that I will report. I do not wish to be called a racist when I do not make a racist comment.

In fact, maybe your comment is racist.

OK, I did not get the joke. An explanation might be handy, if it is not racist.

I'm guessing, not to speak for Wiz, that he mocked the generally prevailing attitude in society to call out anyone who says something negative about a person of colour by calling them racist, hereby taking the role of a so-called "Social Justice Warrior", and probably seeing additional humour in the fact that you are generally known not to be racist to poke you a little bit. It's what people do. If LC said something negative about Justin Trudeau's politics, I would probably call him alt-right, not because I think he is alt-right, but precisely because he is not, because he is my friend and friends mock each other all the time.

Thanks for explaining this. And so quickly. I guess I had (and still have) trouble with that social justice warrior role (the way you explained this). The colour of skin should not play a role in this. The poking is alright, next time I'd understand it better, even though I don't really agree with the principle.

It's not something worth making such a big deal out of.

Bah, Osaka must have the most arrogant expression that has ever "graced" the tennis court. Looking at that face for some minutes makes me want her to lose.

Cut her some slack. It was a very troubling match for her mentally, she broke down and cried at the end of the 2nd set. The "arrogant expression" is probably simply her trying to stay focused.

The poking is alright, next time I'd understand it better, even though I don't really agree with the principle.
And you don't have to, but keep in mind that as friends, we're all going to prod each other a bit, jokingly. I mean, just search how many times I've called Perun a Kraut.

If something crosses the line (as this did for you), just say so, and if there's no apologies or changes done, we're happy to step in.

Just watched an epic 5 set match between Wawrinka and Tsitsipas at the French Open. After 5 grueling hours, Stan Wawrinka ended up coming out on top.

This year's French Open is interesting in that Nadal is obviously a, if not the, favorite, but he doesn't seem to be quite as invincible as he usually is and Djokovic could be a real threat to win it this year. And Federer is still in play as well this time after compeltely skipping the clay court season the previous couple years.

Back