Official Tennis thread

Murray had lost the Australian Open Final to Djokovic four times, in 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2016. It was his chance at a title with Djokovic out early. He must be pissed.

This tournament is the first one in ages that I've somewhat been able to follow. Will try to catch some live games the rest of the way.

Gaël Monfils vs. Rafael Nadal seems like a potentially cracking matchup.

Grigor Dimitrov is playing Istomin tomorrow. I'm really curious to see what will happen. Dimitrov has been playing really well so far and seems to be having an excellent start of 2017, after winning in Brisbane a week ago. Istomin might be having the tournament of his life though...

Milos Raonic will play tonight against Simon of France and Canada is now watching this tournament in the AM with baited breath. Raonic is the highest seeded player left since Murray and Djokovic are out, but of course Nadal is returning to form, Federer remains Federer, despite his age. But I would like, very much, to see him win.

I'm cheering for Monfils and Tsonga. Would love to see Tsonga win especially, this may be his one shot at a Grand Slam title. Australian Open is usually his favorite one.

Woohoo! Dimitrov managed to send Istomin home. :clap:
He's playing Goffin in the quarters and I don't know anything about him.

Milos Raonic will play tonight against Simon of France and Canada is now watching this tournament in the AM with baited breath. Raonic is the highest seeded player left since Murray and Djokovic are out, but of course Nadal is returning to form, Federer remains Federer, despite his age. But I would like, very much, to see him win.
There is some interest overhere as well since Krajicek is his new coach. He changed Raonic' game by demanding that he goes to the net in as many opportunities as possible.

Last edited:
Nice. Is there another fellow countryman or woman who came that far on a Grand Slam?
In the early 1990s, Manuela Maleeva reached the semifinals of US Open and quarterfinals of all other Grand Slam tournaments. She also won the bronze medal in the 1988 Olympic games. She was the oldest of three sisters, all of them professional tennis players, and reached a career high of number 3 in WTA. Her youngest sister, Magdalena, reached the semifinal of US Open in 1992 and reached a career high of number 4 in WTA. The middle sister, Katerina, was the least successful of the three, but she also reached the quarters of all four Grand Slam tournaments and reached a career high of number 6 in WTA in 1990. All three of them were in the Top 10 at the same time, setting a unique record.

Meanwhile, Grigor Dimitrov's highest ranking in ATP so far is number 8 in 2014, when he reached the semifinal in Wimbledon.

Monfils vs. Nadal looked to be a disappointing one after the first two sets, but Gaël is showing great resilience since then.

Edit: Had a legit chance to force the fifth set but blew it. That's Monfils for you.

Last edited:
In the early 1990s, Manuela Maleeva reached the semifinals of US Open and quarterfinals of all other Grand Slam tournaments. She also won the bronze medal in the 1988 Olympic games. She was the oldest of three sisters, all of them professional tennis players, and reached a career high of number 3 in WTA. Her youngest sister, Magdalena, reached the semifinal of US Open in 1992 and reached a career high of number 4 in WTA. The middle sister, Katerina, was the least successful of the three, but she also reached the quarters of all four Grand Slam tournaments and reached a career high of number 6 in WTA in 1990. All three of them were in the Top 10 at the same time, setting a unique record.

Meanwhile, Grigor Dimitrov's highest ranking in ATP so far is number 8 in 2014, when he reached the semifinal in Wimbledon.
Yes of course, I remember Maleeva! Definitely Manuela at least.

Nadal looked rock solid today. It's some feat to beat Raonic 3-0, without giving up a single break.

Nadal isn't quite ready to retire yet, that's for sure. Shame for Raonic, but damn, Nadal looks good to go all the way.

Back