Official Star Wars Thread

Instead of making Resistance, Disney should have just hired this guy.

Admittedly I don't really like the shredding guitar soundtrack, but I suppose it fits with the animation style...? I have no idea. I don't watch anime.

I have no idea. I don't watch anime.

Neither do I but I'm a sucker for both SF and naval stuff, so I had to see Space Battleship Yamato (the more recent version not the 80s one), and Arpeggio of Blue Steel.

It is like this Star Wars cartoon, just 10 times better.

ARP was an excellent watch. A number of cybernetic entities came to Earth, and took form of WW2 era ships (Kongo, Myoko, Yamato, Iowa...) mutated into super-duper 22nd century laser stuff. The alter-ego of each one of them is, of course, an appropriate Japanese hot chick. I very much loved the decision to put all the sexy-anime parts in one episode, where the girls are getting to know each other on the beach in bikinis, so I could skip it and seamlessly proceed with the story line binge. Drawn girls are cool I guess, but the fight between good and evil is better :)

So, only a year late I got around to watching TLJ. I wasn't overly impressed, but I thought it had some good things going for it. Then I went on the internet and watched some review videos and was shocked by the vile hatred it got.

Then I watched a thirty minute video of a guy shouting in his microphone over how offended he was by "a fat Asian bitch" and a purple haired feminist, and how it shit on everything he grew up with.

And I concluded that if that's your grown-up response to this, then the problem isn't with the filmmakers.

On the Blu ray of TLJ, in one of the documentary extras, Mark Hammill told Rian he did not like how Luke was handled in the script. However Mark then told Rian he would do whatever he asks.

Talk about a professional

I liked the movie and was also pretty surprised by the intense hatred for it. I definitely recognize that it has flaws, but for me it’s flawed in the way Return of the Jedi is more than say Attack of the Clones. One of the big takeaways imo is that Star Wars is a fairly limited franchise with fan base that can’t be pleased.

Then I watched a thirty minute video of a guy shouting in his microphone over how offended he was by "a fat Asian bitch" and a purple haired feminist, and how it shit on everything he grew up with.

I know the one, that was hard to get through. I was very irked by how he "wished someone would cut [Kylo Ren's] ugly fuckin' head off". Adam Driver is a handsome, handsome man. Don't diss.

I liked it, but I didn't love it. I think if they had pulled the Marvel-style humour I'd have enjoyed it a lot more.

I remember at the end of TFA when Rey tries to hand Luke the lightsaber thinking to myself as a joke "be funny if he throws it (like some lame funny YouTube video)". Never thought he'd really do it!

Back