Official Star Wars Thread

The problem with that is that the original trilogy gave us everything. Of course it was far from perfect, but it gave us a clear story, clear stakes, never before seen vfxs and more importantly characters we cared about. In the prequels people hated anakin and jar jar more than people hated the ewokes. In these sequels nothing to really hate, I just don't care, about any of it. What a knickerbocker said, what's the point? What's the story? What's at stake? Are we having steaks? Why should I care about any of the new characters?
I don't think the problem is the relative quality of the films itself that is involved (or their capacity to hook the audience), but that of our ever-declining attention span. Mind you, the first two trilogies were released in days when we were not fed in a day the equivalent of what our (great) grand-parents had watched in their lifetimes.

The problem with that is that the original trilogy gave us everything. Of course it was far from perfect, but it gave us a clear story, clear stakes, never before seen vfxs and more importantly characters we cared about. In the prequels people hated anakin and jar jar more than people hated the ewokes. In these sequels nothing to really hate, I just don't care, about any of it. What a knickerbocker said, what's the point? What's the story? What's at stake? Are we having steaks? Why should I care about any of the new characters?

Well, unfortunately Star Wars became blockbuster entertainment long ago. All of the familiar characters, locations etc in the universe are nowadays just backdrops for Disney to deliever a spectactle. The end game is to keep all of the cinema-goers entertained - young and old.

Last edited:
Death Troopers are one of my favourite things in all Star Wars, I love their design. I enjoyed Rogue One a lot and I actually would prefer to see more Anthology films than another trilogy (or this trilogy, come to think of it), but it seems like they've been put on the back burner after Solo underperformed.

Death Troopers are one of my favourite things in all Star Wars, I love their design. I enjoyed Rogue One a lot and I actually would prefer to see more Anthology films than another trilogy (or this trilogy, come to think of it), but it seems like they've been put on the back burner after Solo underperformed.

Well, there is an Obi-Wan mini-series in the pipeline

And The Mandalorian should be interesting

I don't think the problem is the relative quality of the films itself that is involved (or their capacity to hook the audience), but that of our ever-declining attention span. Mind you, the first two trilogies were released in days when we were not fed in a day the equivalent of what our (great) grand-parents had watched in their lifetimes.
I don't follow. What does attention span have to do with it? Endgame was 3 hours and people sat through it fine. Francis Ford Copola was recently interviewed by the Guardian and said Scorcese was nice when he called current marvel movies "not movies" he called them despicable.

Honestly I think they're just old men complaining about kids today, because the 70s, 80s have their fair share of shit movies.

Watched the first episode of The Mandalorian.

Pedro Pascale is excellent in the role, and the supporting cast - Warner Herzog, Nick Nolte, and the voice of Taika Waititi - are all wonderful. The action scene with The Mandalorian and the IG droid was really fucking cool, and I'm curious how the odd couple relationship with the moisture farmer will develop. You don't get Nick Nolte in for a throwaway role. And then the last few moments...

A baby Yoda? SOLD.

Watched the first 2 episodes of Mandalorian .. really enjoying it. I think this is really a golden age of TV (including the streaming services) so far, so good. Gives me hope for the Obi Wan show to be potentially excellent

01ec5c37f26599b290176e884962c7d1.gif

Watching Episode 3 of The Mandalorian. I think this might be my favourite Star Wars thing since Return of the Jedi. It is superb in almost every way, and I am completely enthralled.

Obviously, Baby Yoda helps, it's the cutest fucking little thing. But episode 3 raised some questions: where does The Mandalorian come from? He is clearly an orphan taken in by Mandalorians, not of Mandalorian descent. Why were battle droids killing his family? Why did Carl Weathers have Imperial Beskar steel on him? Fuck, it's enthralling. [/quote]

I have not watched ep 3 of Mandalorian yet (and did not open the spoiler) ... I agree though, this is really well done so far. They are already shooting season 2 .. hopefully it will have many seasons if it keeps this up.

Back