Official Star Wars Thread

Original trilogy had comic relief in the form of C3PO and R2D2. Hopefully that continues.

JarJar was probably the attempt to inject fun into the prequels, yeah. I'd like it to be done better than that, but the beauty of the original trilogy was having something for everyone and several plots going on at once. When a franchise begins to focus on the core plot alone, some of the life goes out of it.

I think suggesting Jar Jar was supposed to be funny is a misreading of the film series as a whole. He fits in the typical 'jester'-role from stories like Ivanhoe, an insanely irritating and seemingly completely worthless character, who by the mercy of the knight is saved to the frustration of the audience and everybody around him, but then by a twist of fate ends up being useful in the end.

Today I was kind of bummed to find out that the trailer music is not Williams. I thought it's a sample of some new direction of the actual score - heavier, darker sound + I liked the heavy drums (something Williams has never done, I think). Anyway, I'm sure the soundtrack will be stellar. I'm curious if it's going to beat Revenge of the Sith, wich is hands down my favourite.

I think suggesting Jar Jar was supposed to be funny is a misreading of the film series as a whole. He fits in the typical 'jester'-role from stories like Ivanhoe, an insanely irritating and seemingly completely worthless character, who by the mercy of the knight is saved to the frustration of the audience and everybody around him, but then by a twist of fate ends up being useful in the end.

The one doesn't exclude the other.

There's actually a chance they've remained true to Lucas' vision according to the Ring Theory by Mike Klimo.

Just look at this:

9m9WBnx.jpg

And add the other footage from the trailer, including:

The tie-fighter spinning and crashing on a desert planet, like a mirroring of the escape pod from A New Hope...

A vast improvement

lenin-vader-split.jpg

The force is strong in Odessa, Ukraine.

A statue of communist leader Vladimir Lenin has been transformed into a monument to “Star Wars” icon Darth Vader by sculptor Alexander Milov.

The shrine is a result of Ukraine’s recently passed bill banning communist propaganda in the country’s monuments and street names. While most communist relics will be removed or destroyed, this particular Lenin statue has been repurposed.

“The bronze Lenin was left inside, so that the grateful or not-so-grateful descendants could exhume him, if needed,” Milov is quoted as saying by Ukraine Today.

We'll see about that soon, Night Prowler.

This is a "supercut" of all the trailers:

Anyone know who asks "Who are you?" at the start of the most recent trailer? I was thinking it might be Carrie Fisher but don't actually know what she sounds like. Plus acting and all that.

I don't think that's Carrie Fisher, sounds more like Gwendoline Christie aka Brienne Of Tarth from GoT.

Anyone know who asks "Who are you?" at the start of the most recent trailer? I was thinking it might be Carrie Fisher but don't actually know what she sounds like. Plus acting and all that.
It's probably Maz Kanata - a character played by Lupita Nyong'o. And yes, Gwendoline Christie is in the movie - she plays Captain Phasma.

Back