Official Star Wars Thread

I regret I watched it. Too many new scenes. I wish they stopped showing anything new, but I guess it's impossible with over a month to the premiere. The true intensive marketing is still ahead and it will be very difficult to avoid revealing stuff...

But there's no doubt - it all looks amazing. I just can't imagine how exciting it is going to be to finally see this film.

You summed up my major problem with trailers in general. But if you want to have a general idea of the look of the film, before it comes out, this is nice!

How do you know if you want to see a movie if you don't see a trailer? I mean, Star Wars is a gimme. But in general.
Reading about it. Or hearing about it from someone else. It's not that I always put my face behind my hands when I see a trailer in a movie theater. ;) But I am not looking them up.

I have seen the Star Wars trailers, but I am beginning to wonder if they reveal too much of the imagery at this point.

One of the nice things about these trailers is that even though they give you hints of what the plot is or what imagery it uses, they don't show you how everything fits together. I always think that's a nice effect when finally seeing the film.

I don't understand a thing of the plot. In a way, these Star Wars trailers are less revealing than the average trailer. But just the looks alone get people excited. Without sound, these trailers would do their work.

And that's all they need to do really. Just something to generate hype and show off the effects, people are going to see the movie regardless of the trailer.

I thought these trailers have been perfect, they give away nothing of the story, give a vague idea of who the characters are, and show it is a Star Wars movie ... ships, lightsabers, the Falcon, etc.

Still, the trailers might reveal more than I initially thought.

It makes me think that the makers of the film are not going to risk to be innovative. They play safe. I see a Nathalie Portman look a like. I see a young jedi-person with a robot, repeating the young Luke Skywalker story. I see a tunnel(-like) sequence reminding me of endbattles in the classic trilogy. Maybe the story is easy as hell: the same!

I'll keep my expectations low. Awesome looking but unoriginal story.

So, the trailers helps me in keeping my expectations low. Alright, I admit, that's a good point.

Last edited:
Yeah, I am cool with that as well. A story with 8 zillion plot twists is not really any better than a well executed "simple" story
It's not like Star Wars is particularly impressive or interesting in terms of the story being told.

So I've started watching the Star Wars movies in saga order, one movie a week until The Force Awakens. The other day was The Phantom Menace. I don't have anything to say about it that hasn't been said before, but while watching the movie I was reminded of the trailers for TFA and how for awhile every single clip of John Boyega we saw showed him sweating and breathing heavily. It dawned on me that this was likely very intentional, as a way of contrasting the prequels and how there was no sense of urgency from the characters when faced with a crisis.

It does look like they might rehash A New Hope for this. I'm not sure if I like that idea, but if the characters are interesting enough and it progresses the overall Star Wars story then I think it might be fine. I just hope it's not too heavy on rehashing old stuff. A new death star is pretty close to crossing that line for me.

If the prequels did anything right it's that they balanced old stuff and new stuff really well. I always thought it made sense that you slowly saw more old stuff as the movies progressed, with Revenge of the Sith having the most of it. Logically it should be the opposite for this new trilogy: lots of stuff that reminds us of the OT in TFA, but by episode XI we should be seeing almost entirely new things.

Showing parallels with what's gone before is a great way of getting speculation going and hinting at plot continuity. It still leaves the question of what's new right up in the air.

Some people also don't mind rehashed music. I rather do not see it too much.

Last edited:
Back