Official Star Wars Thread

From what I have seen they have intentionally tried to move away from the vibe engendered in 1, 2 and 3.
The Phantom Menace has to be one of the most disappointing movies of all time.
Jar Jar is horrendous.

That was fun. Wouldn't expect a 15 second clip to increase my anticipation, but since I'm already crazy excited for this (at this point it's only 2nd to new Maiden, once I hear TBOS all my excitement goes to this), something like this is just going to fill my Star Wars appetite. :p

If TFA is anything llike the prequels then I will be very annoyed.
Really hoping that it is completely different...

It's already different if only for the sole fact that they are using a lot of actual sets and locations instead of endless green screen garbage.

Yeah, Ewan McGregor (Obi Wan-young) said it was terrible having to act against a green screen and basically talk to thin air.
I'm not a fan of his but he was right.

It's already different if only for the sole fact that they are using a lot of actual sets and locations instead of endless green screen garbage.
Maturin will come in here and say that it wasn't endless green screen, etc. I think that they used too much green screen in the prequels. Some - not all, but some - entire sets were made of CG. They were obvious and terrible.

And then you have the run run run...slow...walk...stop, talk.

Shot.

Countershot.

Shot.

Countershot.

It's pretty certain now that The Force Awakens full trailer is dropping on Monday and the poster is supposed to be revealed on Sunday (well, depends on your time zone). Can't wait! I hope the trailer doesn't reveal too much.

CRnIPhQUYAAoupy.jpg:large

They didn't include Luke on the poster? What does he have, 10 seconds in the film?

Edit: Or maybe Mark Hamill just voice the big space station to the right.

They didn't include Luke on the poster? What does he have, 10 seconds in the film?
I'm afraid he's going to have like a couple of minutes with a bigger role to follow in VIII... I hope I'm wrong and they are just setting up a big reveal. There was a leaked picture of Hamill in costume, though.

Not really knowing anything from the Expanded Universe bar the names Mara Jade and Darth Bane (and not having read pretty much anything about the new movie since I don't really want to be spoilt more than necessary), I have no idea who those people on the poster are or could be (who's the gal? And the top left creep?), but the poster's awesome, IMHO.

Also, when I'm at it, you who have read/seen anything else than the 6 movies (so, really anything from the EU), what is my absolutely must see/read/hear first step? The sheer amount of the countless extra material made me not really want to delve into it, but with the hype around the new film, I think I might want to actually try it. Just don't name any games - I have a Mac and I don't think I'd have the nerves to tweak the Wineskin again to play KOTOR or whatever. (Believe me, I've tried) :D

Also, when I'm at it, you who have read/seen anything else than the 6 movies (so, really anything from the EU), what is my absolutely must see/read/hear first step? The sheer amount of the countless extra material made me not really want to delve into it, but with the hype around the new film, I think I might want to actually try it. Just don't name any games - I have a Mac and I don't think I'd have the nerves to tweak the Wineskin again to play KOTOR or whatever. (Believe me, I've tried) :D

Disney turned the Expanded Universe into Star Wars Legends, and as such the only material that is canon consists of Episode I-VI, Clone Wars, and the material they've produced after they acquired the franchise. Don't know if that changes your attitude towards it, but be aware of that at least.

Yes, in other words you don't have to read absolutely anything before TFA. The characters on the poster are completely new. There is a lot of secrecy about VII so even new books/comics don't provide much information about that period (yet).

This video is helpful if you want to get into some new canon:

Another death star? That's kind of lame.

So far everything I've seen in the trailers and such has made me excited and confident in this new movie. Rehashing something as obvious as the death star has me worried.

I don't think that's a Death Star. Probably a ship or something, but big space weapons are a traditional part of Star Wars.

Back