Official Star Trek Thread

North Carolina Politician Writes Resignation Letter in Klingon
January 3, 2014

INDIAN TRAIL, N.C. – Call it a politician boldly going where no one has gone before.

On Thursday, David Waddell used the Klingon language to write his letter of resignation from the Indian Trail Town Council in North Carolina.

Waddell says he opted to use Klingon, the language of a warrior race on the "Star Trek" TV shows and movies, as an inside joke. Mayor Michael Alvarez is calling the letter unprofessional.

Deadline reports that Edgar Wright and others are on the short list to take over for Orci.
Woohoo!

Badass Digest is now reporting this afternoon that "the script Orci was working on saw the Enterprise, the Vulcans and a new alien race competing to get a time travel device. The Vulcans want to go back and stop the destruction of their planet, and the time travel schtick is what would allow Chris Pine and William Shatner to share the screen."

No. No. No. NO. NO. HELL NO. NO. No.

I don't care if they find a way to put Shatner in, but no more time travel. Please. Please no more time travel.

Which would bring me to another question I've been pondering on. If we got a new TV series, what should it be? Should it pick up where Voyager and DS9 left off and develop it further into the future? Should it cover an established time frame we haven't have much of (e.g. the time between TOS and TNG)? Or should it follow the current films and do an "alternate universe" TOS remake/reboot?

All good questions. My preference would for it to be post-DS9 (say 20 or 30 years) and be a serialized show. But good stories and good characters are really the key .. with that said, I do not really care for the idea of prequels in Trek TV anymore even though I thought Enterprise finished on a high note the last 2 seasons.

My preference would for it to be post-DS9 (say 20 or 30 years) and be a serialized show.

Agreed. And to be frank, I would also like a return to the original idea of the "Planet of the Week" format. There's nothing wrong with doing something like that every 20 years.

Agreed. And to be frank, I would also like a return to the original idea of the "Planet of the Week" format. There's nothing wrong with doing something like that every 20 years.

Not sure if there was any truth to it (and I am leaning towards no truth to it), but one of the new show rumors was a semi-anthology series around an event/problem buy seeing it take place in multiple places from various points of view ... but with a main cast being in the majority, but not all, of the episodes.

I would be down for something like that, it is a big universe (at least on Trek), but in any case I prefer an ongoing story, perhaps with some one off here or there. Much like DS9 turned into in the latter seasons.

Not sure if there was any truth to it (and I am leaning towards no truth to it), but one of the new show rumors was a semi-anthology series around an event/problem buy seeing it take place in multiple places from various points of view ... but with a main cast being in the majority, but not all, of the episodes.

That does sound interesting.

Just started watching DS9. Watched it for the first time about 12 years ago. I really enjoyed TNG, and I may be in the minority, but I find DS9 to be far superior to TNG. I know a lot of people think it's too dark, but there's a lot of good comedy in it and lighthearted moments and episodes so I think they find a really good balance. The characters and continuing stories are gold. Watched the Emissary last night and thought it was just as great as the first time I watched it. Knowing how the series ends, I'm hoping that won't hamper any of my enjoyment of the later seasons. TOS will always be my favorite. That's the one I grew up with. I've been watching each series one after the other, but after DS9, I have to say I"m not all that excited about watching Voyager again. It's solid and all, but I just felt like it's not a series I would wanna watch twice. Anyways I've rambled on enough about my life story. :D Glad there's other fans on the board though.

I think DS9 the best of the post TOS series, better than TNG (which I like for sure). DS9 from season 3 on is just fantastic (and really season 1 and 2 are pretty decent, with the exception of that game episode, which was just horrible)

Yeah from what I remember I think it really takes off in season 3. I really don't remember disliking any episodes in the entire series except the one with Quark's mother. I can't put my finger on the episode you're referring to. But I guess it's been awhile since I saw it.

This one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Move_Along_Home

One of the worst Star Trek (any series) episodes ever. But overall, yes the show was great. Good plots, and most importantly real 3 dimensional characters and a ton of them, from Sisco to Morn and about 15 in between. They really made them all seem like real people (unlike the other shows where the characters were too perfect)

I agree with you there. The characters and the interaction between them in combination with the amazing stories is what made the series so great. I vaguely remember the episode you mentioned. I really don't remember disliking it though. I'll post my thoughts on it when I get to that. But the main thing is, unlike the other shows, not everything is so focused on the problem of the week and there's no reset button when the episode is over.

Back