Official MLB baseball thread.

If the Cubs and White Sox played each other, who would fans root for? Or wouldn't they care who won?
Well I'm a Cubs fan, so there's no question at all who I would root for. Any city that has two teams of the same sport within the city generally has a rivalry between those teams. You see it with the Cubs and White Sox, Yankees and Mets, Dodgers and Angels, even N.Y. Jets and Giants, Nets and Nicks, L.A. Lakers and Clippers, etc. It's a one or the other type deal. There are some White Sox fans cheering for the Cubs in the World Series, but make no mistake, most of them would like to see the Cubs lose.

As for a Cubs and White Sox World Series? The answer is simple, Chicago will burn to the ground.

Doesn't every baseball team play at Fenway? I thought I read that somewhere................

[ninja]

I actually googled the White Sox, so I dunno, where do they play?

They played in US Cellular field this year .. but it is being renamed to Guaranteed Rate Field next year.

Yeah, it is ... Comiskey Park was a good name ..."The Cell" .. not so much, but appropriate for that side of town ... ZING!

Actually I have never been to the "new" park, went to the old one several times

That was my first thought upon learning about the White Sox. Do they have any fans?

That was my first thought upon learning about the White Sox. Do they have any fans?

They do .. quite a few. But I think the Cubs really rule the city as far as fan base. For people around my age, a big reason was WGN broadcasting so many games .. and with all the day games they play (and they all used to be day games until the late 1980s), they would be on right when I got home from school. Then the Sox went on cable and you had to pay to watch them and I am sure all but the most die hard Sox fans pretty much said, why pay $100 a season to watch them when I can see the Cubs for free on ch. 9.

Plus Wrigley is just a cool place to see a game. Old Comiskey was a cool park, but it really went down hill towards the end.. add to that, it (and the new park) are not exactly in the greatest area of town.

For the most part, South Side of the city are Sox fans, Cubs fans on the North Side and it is pretty much up for grabs when you get in the suburbs.

Cubs fans and White Sox fans are pretty different.

White Sox fans primarily consist of (1) blue-collar, hard-core baseball nuts who live on the South Side and read the Sun-Times, and (2) people who like wearing black.

Cubs fans primarily are (1) white-collar, casual baseball fans who live on the North Side and read the Tribune, and (2) people who love Wrigley Field.

White Sox fans are openly hostile to the Cubs and and even more hostile toward Cubs fans. They consider themselves superior to Cubs fans, whom they deem to be frat boys and sorority girls who only care about partying at Wrigley and are not "real" baseball fans.

Cubs fans pretty much ignore the Sox entirely, content to party at Wrigley and make something of their lives.

In general, I think @Cornfed Hick nailed it .. though the Sox had a lot of band wagon fans a few years back when they won the WS and the Cubs certainly have a hardcore fan base that will show up win or loose to watch the games.

What do you base your decision on? Why not be fans of both teams since they both represent your state? Or city in the case of Chicago.

There is an old saying, if anyone over the age of 12 tells you they are both a Cubs and Sox fan, put your wallet in your front pocket.

Back