Official MLB baseball thread.

Great game and series ... also nice the other series is going 5 and the Cubs can set up their rotation with the extra time off

Baseball isn't my favorite sport, but few if any games in any sport have been better than Game 1 of the World Series was tonight. Wow. From the inside-the-park home run on the very first pitch of the game until the 14th inning 5+ hours later, it was nonstop tension and excitement.

I don't really have a strong preference one way or the other between the Royals and Mets, I'm just hoping for a good series. Game 1 definitely was an incredible way to start!

Yeah, luckily they hung onto Soler ... a lot of people expected him to be traded when Fowler came back.

So we just had a pretty eventful day in baseball. Ichiro got his 3000th hit. He is truly a living legend.

In other news, A-Rod is essentially being released by the Yankees. His last game will be on Friday. It's possible another team could pick him up, but I highly doubt that will happen.

that is what he announced, but to get him off the roster, the Yankees need to DFA him (designated for assignment) and he is on waivers... any team can pick him ... none will, because they will inherit his massive contract. Once the waiver period is over, any team could sign him and they would pay him the league minimum and the Yankees would pay the rest of his contract. It is possible team "X" could sign him, especially after September 1st when the rosters expand.

Unlikely, but possible.

Neat - I am not familiar at all with how this works in MLB, so thank you for the information!

I am more interested in baseball from a logistics point than I am from a sport standpoint, so that is very interesting to me.

I am interested in both, but it is similar to Hockey in the minor leagues, though baseball has a lot more of them. Each team has at least 1 rookie league team, usually 2 A ball teams, 1 AA team, 1 AAA team, then the major league team

How they work all that with the roster rules is really interesting to me .. especially for a team like the Cubs that pretty much blew up the entire team after a good (but not good enough to win it all) run and rebuilt with young players. The Yankees look like they are about to do that, but probably not blow up it up as much.

Prince Fielder forced to retire (medically disabled, so he gets the rest of his contract) .. ongoing neck issues.

In an oddity, he finishes his career with 319 home runs, the exact number his Dad hit in the majors (Cecil Fielder) ...

The Cubs are my team this year. They're having a really good season and haven't been in the World Series since 1945 and haven't won it since 1908 so they are quite overdo for it.

The Cubs are my team this year. They're having a really good season and haven't been in the World Series since 1945 and haven't won it since 1908 so they are quite overdo for it.

Overdue is an understatement. I have seen as many Cubs championships as my 97 year old Grandmother ... 0. Only bad thing is if they win, there is a decent chance the world is ending.

Back