Official Hockey discussion thread

And what's more painful is that the got Flames got 2 more really good chances to clinch the cup in overtime of game 6 (this is forgotten by most people though).

1. Khabibulin tripping while attempting to play the puck behind the net - Iginla nearly got a hold of the puck as a result, somehow Khabibulin managed to rescue the situation and block Iginla's attempt with his stick.

2. Khabibulin stopping Marcus Nilson's deflection.

A lot of things went wrong for the Flames in that game :(

And game 4 as well - with a good referee the Flames would propably have won that game as well and been up 3-1 in the series.

"With a chance to take a commanding 3–1 series lead, Calgary was shut out by Lightning goalie Nikolai Khabibulin, who recorded his fifth shutout of the postseason, a 29-save shutout, in a 1–0 Tampa Bay victory, with the game's lone goal being scored by Brad Richards three minutes into the game on a two-man advantage.

With 4:13 left in the game, Ville Nieminen checked Vincent Lecavalier into the boards from behind, drawing a five-minute major penalty for boarding, a game misconduct penalty, and an eventual game five suspension.[3] Meanwhile, fans at the Pengrowth Saddledome angrily booed referees Kerry Fraser and Brad Watson throughout most of the contest. They were originally also scheduled to work game six in Calgary but the league eventually decided to replace them.[4][5]".

Last edited:
So the #1 overall pick in the draft is going to a placeholder team, and every team who loses in the qualifying round of the playoffs is eligible, all with an equal chance of getting it. Which means it's technically possible for Pittsburgh or Edmonton to get the top overall draft pick. That's fucking nuts.

You have to wonder if teams will consider tanking at all for that 1 in 8 chance to get a franchise-changing player.

So the #1 overall pick in the draft is going to a placeholder team, and every team who loses in the qualifying round of the playoffs is eligible, all with an equal chance of getting it. Which means it's technically possible for Pittsburgh or Edmonton to get the top overall draft pick. That's fucking nuts.

You have to wonder if teams will consider tanking at all for that 1 in 8 chance to get a franchise-changing player.
According to an nhl.com article Detroit has the best odds...

A placeholder team always had the best individual odds of winning the lottery. Which I find hilarious, but there we go. We now have a scenario where, if Montreal gets hot and knocks out Pittsburgh, the Pens get Alexis Lafreniere to ride shotgun for Sid the Kid for the next 5-6 years. That's frightening.

A placeholder team always had the best individual odds of winning the lottery. Which I find hilarious, but there we go. We now have a scenario where, if Montreal gets hot and knocks out Pittsburgh, the Pens get Alexis Lafreniere to ride shotgun for Sid the Kid for the next 5-6 years. That's frightening.
So can Toronto or Edmonton. Difference being in Pittsburgh he's the future, replacing Sid AND Malkin as franchise player, in Toronto or Edmonton he's part of a still young team. If there is a God, he'll go to Montreal.

Last edited:
Edmonton would mean they could have a McDavid-Draisaitl-Lafreniere line, or split that up. That's frightening too. Toronto is less scary, because Toronto will never figure it out.

Alexis in Montreal would be a godsend to Les Habitants.

Yup, it just doesn't make any sense to me how teams NOT in the playoffs or even play-in round get a better shot at number one than those that were flatout out of competition. OTT had the insane chance of going #1 AND #2, they're still picking high, but still. So confusing.

It's on like Donkey Kong! CBA extension until 2026, international schedules and play resumes Aug 1st!

WE'VE GOT GAME DATES!!!!!! ALL SIGNS POINT TO YES! YAY!

*cough* I mean, we need to be cautiously optimistic as things can change any minute as the situation evolves. *cough*

The logos are cool

screen-shot-2020-07-23-at-12-10-56-pm.png

Some really good hockey so far. Flames/Jets series is going to get really personal, with it being tied 1-1 and with the Flames taking both Schiefele and Laine out in Game 1. Plus Matt Tkachuk is there and that guy is a fuckin' firecracker. Really good stuff, and good hockey too.

Habs beat Pittsburgh in the first game, Pittsburgh looks foolish. And Svechnikov scores the first hat trick in Carolina/Hartford playoff history.

Completely agree with pittsburgh looking foolish. About to watch game two. If the Pens look foolish, Boston looks completely idiotic. I am very disappointed in both teams. They need to get their shit straight. So far Philly has impressed me the most.

OMG, I want to burn Boston down to the ground. 0-3. The number 1 team in the league at the stoppage is playing like an AHL team. Seriously? At least Pittsburgh even their series and we'll see what happens right now in game 3.

Is it 1986? Edmonton sure played like it. McDavid was phenomenal! The whole team, man when they click they click.

Hurricanes sweep the Rangers? Dang, definitely anybody's Cup this year.

Hurricanes sweep the Rangers? Dang, definitely anybody's Cup this year.

The break and this tournament-ish playoff format seems to suit teams like Hurricanes very well. Pretty young, agile and versatile team... Fresh and ready to go, who knows how far.

Fortunately I have night shifts for about two weeks now, so lots of time and opportunities to watch NHL games.

The break and this tournament-ish playoff format seems to suit teams like Hurricanes very well. Pretty young, agile and versatile team... Fresh and ready to go, who knows how far.

Fortunately I have night shifts for about two weeks now, so lots of time and opportunities to watch NHL games.

I've noticed that. On every team it's the young players having the time of their lives. Suzuki in MTL, Yamamoto in EDM, Marino in PIT, etc. And of course several of the studs on the teams are still ridiculously young like McDavid, Matthews, et al.

Back