Official Hockey discussion thread

I really hope that he breaks Gretzky's record.
Very strong possibility. He still has a chance to catch Gartner this season. He has to stay healthy. Even Gretzky wasn't the same after his back injury. Also see Mike Bossy, Lemieux and a lesser extent Crosby. I say that because if healthy I could see him get 600 goals, but with his injuries he hasn't even hit 500

He only needs 10 goals to catch Gartner, I think he does it. Ovi is driven by the headlines, you can tell he's fired up by the idea of passing legends.

So after Ovi scored a hat trick in a 5 minute span or so, I have been watching the Caps games to see him score 700. Oh man, first they get SPANKED by Philly 7-2, no goals from Ovi and then the Islanders hand them a 5-3 loss again with no goals from Ovi. I wonder if the milestone is weighing on the entire team. Gonna keep watching though, I want to witness history!

I've been so focused on Ovi's quest (watching the game tonight) I've neglected my own Bruins and our own scoring wonder Pastrnak. Last night he scored a hat trick to regain the scoring lead. Marchand had a GREAT play in getting him the puck in one of his three goals. He hits 40 for the first time in his career. He would have done it last season had it not been for his injury. So many players getting derailed do to all sorts of injuries and surgeries, kinda scary.

This looks interesting. I saw him play when he was in the PHL in the laste 70s .. obviously he was well past his prime, but cool to have seen him play in person.

Bryant McBride and Laurence Mathieu-Leger, producers of the critically-acclaimed documentary “Willie,” today announced a partnership with ESPN to air the film this spring in celebration of Black History Month. The film will be available through the month of February on ESPN.com and the ESPN App and will have four airings on ESPN2, with a first TV broadcast on February 17th, 7:00pm ET. The following airings will take place on February 18th, 20th, and 24th.

So now that Ovi got his 700th career goal, people are talking about how quickly he can get to 800 or how quickly he can break the record all together. One interesting article compared their g/g leading up to 700 and after age 30. Gretzkey got to 700 BEFORE age 30 and his gpg dropped considerably after that. In other word, He had a hot start and cooled off. Please Note Samuelson injured Gretzkey's back, so that tells part of the story to his drop in numbers.

Ovi, despite his "lean years" of at least 32 goals, has been fairly consitent on his gpg output. So that, plus his good health have helped him. That tends to be most pundits' "if." IF he remains healthy, IF he remains consistent, he can do it relatively soon.

They also started talking about the next possible 700 goal scorer. The only ones I agreed with were Mathews and McDavid and again... IF they stay healthy. Other names were Pastrnak and Stamkos. As much as I am a Bruins and Pastrnak fan... I just don't see it. And Stamkos is too hurt and too old to make a serious push for 700.

As for Deadline deals. NYR are keeping Krieder, Bruins got some nobody with supposed offensive upswing from Anaheim and Pittsburgh traded for Marleau. Can't decide which was a more interesting move, that one or Kovulchuck going to the Capitals. I think a Kovi/Ovi Caps are interesting... He is a good fit. Marleau in the Pens... um... k.

Looks like the NHL is on track to come back with an expanded, 24 team playoffs. I haven't seen anything about specifc dates yet, but July is likely to be the earliest that it would be able to start up.

I'm ok with the format, glad hockey's back. A lot of people aren't happy, but I love the mess it is, anything can happen and I love that. I'm more upset ovie got robbed of another 50 goal season.

I am happy, because the Hawks are it .. even though they really do not deserve it .. think they have a shot against Edmonton, especially if de Hann is able to play

So, I'm fine with this. This season is such a writeoff that no matter who wins they'll be told it was a fake series forever. It is what it is. I'm a little amused that so many teams argued for a 20 team playoffs because they don't want Carey Price in the playoffs, even though he hasn't been that good this year (and Montreal is also not that good of a team) but there you have it. Especially when the guy they should be fearing is Connor Hellebuyck, who was incredible for the Jets this year and should probably win the Vezina and get a strong look for the Hart.

What does drive me wild is the hybrid draft system. Just wait until the play-in is done and draft as normal. Problem solved.

Boston is number 1 and could end up number 4, don't care, they're in. It really is any team's year. Everyone is rested, teams as healthy as possible, definitely healthier than any other playoffs.

I tend to think the teams coming out of the play in round will have an advantage of playing a competitive series, especially in the early games of round 2

Teams 1-4 are playing a round robin... They play three games. The play-in is a best of 5, sweeps are of 3 games.... Doubt two more games will make THAT much of a difference.

Teams 1-4 are playing a round robin... They play three games. The play-in is a best of 5, sweeps are of 3 games.... Doubt two more games will make THAT much of a difference.

I think it might be a bit of an edge (just the team being more in sync) . but I had forgotten about the round robin for 1-4

As always the difference will be who wants it more. That is where the play-in teams may have their edge.

Back