Official Hockey discussion thread

Ah yes, it was a good championship, sad we couldn't win, though.

Remember, we won the greatest of the Cold War battles - the '72 Summit Series.

LooseCannon said:
Ah yes, it was a good championship, sad we couldn't win, though.

Remember, we won the greatest of the Cold War battles - the '72 Summit Series.

A classic!

And we wiped their ass in the Junior re-hash of it.

But seriously, someone should bring back the Canada Cup!

Forostar said:
Yeah.. wasn't that the first time the Soviets were beaten? I remember something like that but I could be totally, totally wrong. At least I remember hearing that the first time when Canada won, it was a HUGE thing. I guess most of them Canadiens spoke French in that squad? :)

Maybe not the first time ever beaten, but it was the first time that particular squad had been.  And it was a close run thing - Paul Henderson scored in the last minute.

The many Canadians of the 72 team were of both English and French parentage, many spoke French as many of Canada's best hockey players have been Quebecois (from Rocket Richard to Martin Brodeur, with stops at Jean Beliveau, Yvan Cournoyer, and Mario Lemieux), and many more were bilingual.

GuineaPig said:
But seriously, someone should bring back the Canada Cup!

The Canada Cup is now known as the World Cup of Hockey, and was last contested in 2004, and will again be contested in 2012.  Canada won in 2004, led by Captain Mario Lemieux.

LooseCannon said:
many of Canada's best hockey players have been Quebecois (from Rocket Richard to Martin Brodeur, with stops at Jean Beliveau, Yvan Cournoyer, and Mario Lemieux),

Indeed.

LooseCannon said:
Congrats Finns on beating Sweden, I have no idea why Lundqvist wasn't in nets, what's up with that Sweden?

Lundqvist's knees are in a bad shape, apparently, so they put Liv or Tellquist to guard instead. Finland-Sweden was a really boring game for us Swedes, but the final must be one of the best games I've seen so far. Great game, Canada and congratulations to Russia. A well-earned gold medal after all these years.

The only two reasons I keep track of NHL are Lidström (great defense) and Lundqvist. I used to watch Forsberg as well, but he's more of a walking spare part these days.

Anomica said:
Lundqvist's knees are in a bad shape, apparently, so they put Liv or Tellquist to guard instead. Finland-Sweden was a really boring game for us Swedes, but the final must be one of the best games I've seen so far. Great game, Canada and congratulations to Russia. A well-earned gold medal after all these years.

The only two reasons I keep track of NHL are Lidström (great defense) and Lundqvist. I used to watch Forsberg as well, but he's more of a walking spare part these days.

Ah, I see.  I hope they can fix his knees, Lundqvist is one of the best in the game today.

Now, I am sad to hear that's the only reason you watch.  I love Lidstrom, and I happen to think Forsberg's brief appearance this year was amazing, he did rack up 11 points in 9 games.  But what about Zetterberg, the Sedins, Sundin, Naslund, Kronvall?

If I could, I'd watch since I love hockey and the speed and intensity of NHL games is much better than the Swedish national league (Elitserien), but I don't have satellite TV where I live, only cable, and I'm too tight to pay for 10 channels when it's just the one I want. I used to watch the play offs and final games on Canal+ once, but I just don't want to pay €30 a month for TV.

In the world cup I found a new (small) favourite, Doug Murray, San Jose's defender. That's a kind of player we usually don't see in Sweden. I watched a few of his fights on Youtube, especially against Doan :D :D :D

Anomica said:
If I could, I'd watch since I love hockey and the speed and intensity of NHL games is much better than the Swedish national league (Elitserien), but I don't have satellite TV where I live, only cable, and I'm too tight to pay for 10 channels when it's just the one I want. I used to watch the play offs and final games on Canal+ once, but I just don't want to pay €30 a month for TV.

In the world cup I found a new (small) favourite, Doug Murray, San Jose's defender. That's a kind of player we usually don't see in Sweden. I watched a few of his fights on Youtube, especially against Doan :D :D :D

I have a website for you.
http://www3.myp2p.eu/

Streams pretty much every sporting event ever.

Onhell said:
I, of course, disagree. As the 1st and 2nd seed I see no problem with Det and the Pens CREAMING their opponents. That's what is supposed to happen, I don't care if it is regular season or playoffs. And most of the games have been close. 4-2 is NOT getting creamed, specially when the last goal is an empty-netter. The reason teams are seeded the way they are in the playoffs is so THEORETICALLY the 1st seed in the east faces the 1st in the west (and it has happened in recent years). Theoretically once in the playoffs it is anyone's game though in the past that was just wishful thinking. In recent years that has been very much true (Anaheim 7th seed in '03, Edmonton 8th in '06 reaching the finals, the 5th and 6th seeds reaching conference finals this season).

With two shut outs by Detroit, it certainly looks like LC's prognosis is true.  Another clear domination, as far as I see.  Pittsburgh will really have to dig deep and rely on home ice advantage.

I have to agree with Sidney Crosby on this one. I don't think it was domination, but a failure to execute. They were both tight games. However they HAVE TO win their next to to even have a chance at the cup. I said Pens in 7... it can still happen :D

I heard that there was a team once called the Maple Leafs, I heard they were meant to be quite good, whatever happened to them?  :S

VodaWolph said:
I heard that there was a team once called the Maple Leafs, I heard they were meant to be quite good, whatever happened to them?  :S

Bad ownership, bad management, and an exploitation of a too-loyal fan base.

Back