Official Hockey discussion thread

Fuck.... that's all there is to it... Fuck. Pens down 2-1 making it a 3-1 series :(. There is little chance this will go beyond 6 games.

Pens won! holy shit! I am legitimately surprised! they are strong at home, so now there is a good chance it will go to 7 games with Det still having the advantage, but giving the pens a good shot at winning!

I really wanted to see the Pens win this one. 

Did anyone notice that at Detroit, when the Pens won in (multiple) overtime, the crowd 'bood' at the end of the game.  However, at Pittsburg, when the 'Wings won, the crowd cheered for the introduction of the cup?

Bravo to Pitt and the Pens fans!

Watching Nick Lidstrom lift the Cup?  Historic moment.  He's the greatest European player of all time.  Better than Peter Forsberg and Jaromir Jagr; better than Borje Salming and Jari Kurri.

It's what the Europeans thought back in 2004 when they did a poll.  But I agree - Kurri was great, but he was never dominant on his own in his day.  Same with Salming, and Jagr.  Forsberg comes close, but he was never quite healthy enough, didn't have as long of an impact as Nick Lidstrom. Nick Lidstrom has been the best defenseman in hockey for 10 years.  He's 38.  And he has shown no signs of slowing down.

well, when you put it that way... Hat's off to the Wings by the way. It was a close game, next season mighty Pens... next season.

Leaf News

The Leafs have a new coach in Ron Wilson, the former San Jose coach that helped that team achieve higher than ever before.  I wonder how much impact he'll have with the Maple Leafs who have highly paid old players stuck in no-trade clause in contracts?  There are rumours that Darcy Tucker might be bought out of his contract at $6 million.

Fletch is changing the way the Leafs look.  If Mats Sundin is back, it will be at a discount and without a no-trade clause.  Tucker *should* be gone.  He's terrible and terribly overpaid.  They need to convince both McCabe and Kubina to take a trade.

I've said it before and I've said it again: The only good players on that team are Toskala and Kaberle.  That's it.

Marc Crawford was also fired yesterday, increasing the Coaching Casualties this year to 7 teams who have fired a coach.

Shero is trying to keep the pens together. Hossa said he is willing to stay for less money, hopefully Malkin, Fleury and others are thinking the same, it would be awesome if they took paycuts to keep the team strong for longer. Crosby already went ahead and signed an extension last season for that purpose. He is still getting a HUGE salary (something like 8.7 mil?), but less than he'd make on free agency in the future. I hope they don't fall apart to badly. They should follow Detroit's example (hell all teams should!) They've drafted well even with low picks.

If I read correctly, round 1 of the draft is over.  Looks like Montreal gave up their first and second round picks.  Any thoughts on how good this round was?

Odd. Period. Stamkos went first, but The Russian forward... Filatov went 6th, pretty low considering the hype around him. something like 12 or 13 of the first 20 picks were Defensemen... I guess it was their time. Goalies were getting high picks in the last 7-8 seasons.

Everybody has a goalie now.  In fact, I challenge you to name 3 clubs that don't have a franchise goalie right now.

And have you been paying attention to what's going on in Russia?  There's no transfer agreement in place, so there's no guarantee that Russian draftees can come over to North America.  Russia is also creating a new hockey league to compete against the NHL.

I'm aware, I'm aware. Also, Filatov (and other Russians) are not coming over right away. They still have contracts with their Russian teams they have to honor. I doubt they'll be bought out so some won't come over for 3 more seasons.

LooseCannon said:
Everybody has a goalie now.  In fact, I challenge you to name 3 clubs that don't have a franchise goalie right now.

And have you been paying attention to what's going on in Russia?  There's no transfer agreement in place, so there's no guarantee that Russian draftees can come over to North America.  Russia is also creating a new hockey league to compete against the NHL.

I didn't realize that. 

Did I understand correctly that Montreal gave up their first two picks for Tanguay (sp?)?

Gotcha.  Happy with that move?  I'm guessing that the Habs are feeling like they are on the brink of making the finals, and that having a solid player right now is better for them than trying to make additions with the draft.

Back