Official Hockey discussion thread

Powergirl81 said:
That was 11 years ago, and now who's left? Claude retired, I think, isn't Ozolinsh on another team? Adam Foote, Valeri Kamensky...? Joe is the only one! Now he's the longest serving captain in NHL history cuz The Captain retired. He's been captain of Quebec/Coloardo since 1989.

Good point. However, During that 11 year run they were Division leaders EIGHT (8!) Straight and won TWO cups (alternating with Detroit (3) and two more by the devils (they one theirs the season PRIOR to Colorado's inception.) And Tampa and other teams won one here an there. So after 8 straight what happened the last three? They fucking held their own in the toughest conference, that's what they did. Even under "rebuilding" they did WAY better than supposedly established powerhouses (I'm looking at you Philly!!), Colorado has been a Strong team at it's weakest and INVINCIBLE at it's zenith. They will be much better this season, they need to find solid goaltending and that's really their only pressing matter.

September 18. The winningest coach in the sport celebrates his birthday today...

William Scott Bowman.
9 Stanley Cups, only coach to win one with 3 different teams! Montreal, Pittsburgh, and Detroit.
Won the Jack Adams award twice for Coach of the Year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotty_Bowman

I remember 1992...that was a great win for the Pens  :D

His Cups with the Wings were better, IMO  :ok:

GO SCOTTY, It's your birthday! Better, I don't know, different, for sure. Hockey changed a lot from Pittsburgh's wins and Detroit's....

YES MOTHERFUCKERS!

I just got the 1st overall pick in my hockey pool, so you know who I snagged: Mr. Sidney Crosby!  120 points guaranteed for me :D

I also have Savard, Stastny, Cammalleri, Bergeron, Zubrus, Pronger, Jovonovski, A. Markov, Vlasic, Toskala (I feel dirty) and Mason.

DAMN Good picks man! Very lucky you indeed! Now Bergeron is Marc-Andre and not Patrice right?

Good deal! you have dream team there, even if you feel dirty over your goalie picks lol. Both Toskala and Mason are the real deal. OOOOH it just hit me! lol Toskala is playing for the Leafs! hahaha. Did you lose out on any Habs goalies or Fleury? Still a damn good pick

Well, I took Crosby with the 1st pick, by the time it got back to me, Brodeur, Luongo, Lehtonen, Fleury, and Turco were gone.

I take it you 2 are talking about fantasy hockey? I read that stuff when I used to subscribe to Hockey News...never really understood it  :blush:

LooseCannon said:
Well, I took Crosby with the 1st pick, by the time it got back to me, Brodeur, Luongo, Lehtonen, Fleury, and Turco were gone.

There was always Vokoun :D He'll be busy in Florida

Powergirl81 said:
I take it you 2 are talking about fantasy hockey? I read that stuff when I used to subscribe to Hockey News...never really understood it  :blush:

I never understood fantasy hockey either, though I bet it's fun  :D

LuvThatWhiteDot said:
I never understood fantasy hockey either, though I bet it's fun  :D

I don't fully understand it either, just enough to know what it is and how it works, but not enough to actually engage in it.

SEASON STARTS NEXT WEEK! AAAAAAH!

It's really simple:
Your teams have players who play based on their actual stats.  It's all formulaic and really boring, when you think about it.

#33 and #66. Today is October 5.

If you don't know what that means, shame on you!  :p

They're only 2 of the best players the game has ever had...after #99 that is  :D

Today I got SI's NHL preview and it reminded me why I like SI and Michael Farber (their main hockey writer) so much. Every where, like Sports News magazine and even NHL.com are head over heals about the Pens. Now that 's great. I like them very much too, but the positive attention they're getting borders the ridiculous. SI however had very level headed scouting reports. Their pick for cup winner was San Jose over the Rangers. They stated Sid and company will make the playoffs, no question, but cup winner, not this season. they were very realistic and honest, not being afraind to call a team shitty if it was really that. So props to you SI and let's see  how close they are in their predictions.

Back