Official Hockey discussion thread

I wish I had time to do all that reserach there, LC  :D

Well I surely hope the Pens go further in the playoffs, and I'll be sure to see a game or 2 coming up this season!
I think Sidney will win the scoring race again, he's just that good!

I'm going out on a limb here, but my 2008 SC prediction....Pittsburgh vs. Colorado

Goes to Game 7...Pens win...Sidney gets the Conn Smythe.

Don't hold me to that, I'd be real shocked if it happened, but it's only a prediction, right?  ;)

Today another hockey birthday is being celebrated...although he passed away 7 years ago...

Maurice "The Rocket" Richard (1921-2000)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Richard

He was a true legend in his time! 50 goals in 50 games, first person EVER to get 500 goals in his career, and 6 overtime winners in the payoffs! Of course, that's matched only by Super Joe Sakic

He won 8 Stanley Cups in his career, 5 straight from 1956-60, which hasn't been accomplished since (5 straight SC's that is)

Rest In Peace, Rocket

My predictions:

Vancouver surprises with some actual goal scoring. Naslund bounces back, while Pyatt and Isbister both manage >20 goal seasons. Luongo wins the Vezina, and Vigneault gets another Jack Adams. Bieksa ups his point total by anywhere from 5-10 points, and Salo only gets injured a single time during the middle of the season. Luongo also takes home the Hart, OR the Pearson, while Crosby will take the one of those two that Luongo doesn't take.

Calgary, New Jersey, Tampa Bay, and Nashville fall out of playoff contention, while Toronto, Colorado, Carolina, and Philadelphia/Washington jump in. Atlanta goes to the Eastern Conference Finals, but is beaten in 6 by the New York Rangers. Vancouver knocks off the Avalanche in 7 games for the Western Conference title. This creates a finals rematch of 1994.

Kovalchuk wins the Richard, Crosby wins the Art Ross. Rick Nash bounces back, and Marian Hossa finishes second in points.

Those are ballsy predictions!  Naslund is pretty old...I think Vancouver needs to clear some cap space and sign a big name free agent or make a huge trade to get some goal production going on.

Onhell said:
WHo cares! I'M drunk and going to Acapulco so :p :p :p Woooohoooo!

Have a Corona with lime for me when you get there  B) and have a GREAT time!

Today is August 7. Along w/Brucey, I read a nice article in the Post Gazette today about the Pens' young star captain Mr. Sidney Crosby! He's not a teenager anymore! He celebrated his birthday today! Talk about great company!

The article mentioned a lot of accomplishments, and he's only been in the NHL 2 years!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07219/807465-61.stm

Read on!

Brett Hull is the third highest goal scorer of all time.  He'll be elected to the HHOF next year, in his first year of eligibility.  No doubt in my mind.  It would be like making the Moose wait an extra year.

after the way he LEFT hockey, he SHOULD wait... fing p"#$ anywho that's my 2 cents on this guy.

Actually I could care less about Phoenix, they suck and I INSIST that a HOCKEY team in the DESERT is MORONIC. But what I do care about is that such a great player leaves 5 games into the season or so, because according to him he can't keep up anymore. WHATEVER, how many vets sucked it up for one more season and how many still do? He should've stayed quiet and then retired once the season was over.

September 4. Another former NHLer celebrates his birthday...

Beezer! #34

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Vanbiesbrouck

He was one of those goalies that I would have loved to see with the Cup. Came real close in 1996 before Colorado swept them in 4.

And there's a frequent poster in here who is celebrating his bithday on Saturday... :D

Any special plans?

Powergirl81 said:
September 4. Another former NHLer celebrates his birthday...

Beezer! #34

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Vanbiesbrouck

He was one of those goalies that I would have loved to see with the Cup. Came real close in 1996 before Colorado swept them in 4.

And there's a frequent poster in here who is celebrating his bithday on Saturday... :D

Any special plans?

I would have loved that too, however not with Florida. That was truley a cinderella team as Pittsburgh did have a better team. The fact that the Aves swept them in 4 proved (to me at least) that their luck was up.

Exactly, Quebec/Colorado on the other hand had been on the rise for a while and they had an unbelievably strong team, specially with Roy in net, Claude Lemieux as grinder... I think Kamensky was there, Ozolinsh... amazing squad all around.

That was 11 years ago, and now who's left? Claude retired, I think, isn't Ozolinsh on another team? Adam Foote, Valeri Kamensky...? Joe is the only one! Now he's the longest serving captain in NHL history cuz The Captain retired. He's been captain of Quebec/Coloardo since 1989.

Longest serving active Captain, you mean.  Steve still holds the record at 21 years and 20 seasons.  Fucking lockout.

Back